Thread poster: Manie van den Heever
Manie van den Heever
Manie van den Heever

Local time: 21:00
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jun 25, 2017

Good day

I am running OmegaT 3.6.0_5. Since yesterday, I have been trying to create a new project with a rather large Word file (.docx) as the source document. I keep getting the error message: "OmegaT ran out of memory, and will quit when you press OK", and further down: "The current setting is 247MB".

I have read all the relevant help documentation I could get my hands on and have tried in dozens of way to follow the error message's instruction to increase the amount
... See more
Good day

I am running OmegaT 3.6.0_5. Since yesterday, I have been trying to create a new project with a rather large Word file (.docx) as the source document. I keep getting the error message: "OmegaT ran out of memory, and will quit when you press OK", and further down: "The current setting is 247MB".

I have read all the relevant help documentation I could get my hands on and have tried in dozens of way to follow the error message's instruction to increase the amount of memory available to OmegaT, but to no avail. Creating a ".bat" file helps, but I have to run it manually every time I start OmegaT for the new project to open successfully. Surely that is not the idea? I have tried to copy and paste the sample command given ("java -Xmx1024M -jar OmegaT.jar"), but still no joy. Even if the application starts, and even if I simply increase the memory in the existing script, the error message always informs me that "the current setting is 247MB". That said, I may be fooling around in the wrong file (the ".ini" file in the OmegaT directory); the instruction says to put this in the OmegaT start script. Where is that?

This is a big project with a tight deadline, and I would love to spend my time translating and researching terminology, rather than trying to (unsuccessfully) act like a techie. I would really appreciate any help!
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Did you write it correctly? Jun 26, 2017

Yes, it goes in the .ini file. Here's what the first part of mine looks like, and what yours should look like also:

# OmegaT.exe runtime configuration
#
# To use a parameter, remove the '#' before the '-'

# Memory
-Xmx2048M

For future reference, you'll get faster responses via the Yahoo group, which has more traffic than thi
... See more
Yes, it goes in the .ini file. Here's what the first part of mine looks like, and what yours should look like also:

# OmegaT.exe runtime configuration
#
# To use a parameter, remove the '#' before the '-'

# Memory
-Xmx2048M

For future reference, you'll get faster responses via the Yahoo group, which has more traffic than this forum. https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/OmegaT/conversations/messages
Collapse

Manie van den Heever
Manie van den Heever

Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your response Jun 26, 2017

Dear Susan

Thanks for your reply and also the tip about the Yahoo forum.

What I had written looks exactly like the example you give, except OmegaT still tells me I have only a little memory left. Weird... I am going to copy and paste your example to see if it helps.

Kind regards
Manie

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
So what? Jun 26, 2017

Manievdh wrote:
Creating a ".bat" file helps, but I have to run it manually every time I start OmegaT for the new project to open successfully.

So what? Launching OmegaT via a batch file is a good way to pass all required parameters in a single command. Thus, what is your problem with the batch file?

…copy and paste the sample command given ("java -Xmx1024M -jar OmegaT.jar"), but still no joy.

Where did you paste the command? Which joy did you expect? Avoid ambiguous words, that is one of the keys to asking a good question.

the instruction says to put this in the OmegaT start script. Where is that?

It is where you put it. A start script is a batch file (in Windows), or a shell script (in Linux and, presumably, MacOS) that contains commands to do something, in this particular case, to launch OmegaT. Here is my start script for Windows:

Code:
java -Duser.language=be -Dyandex.api.key=trnsl.*************** -Dhttp.proxyHost=***** -Dhttp.proxyport=**** -jar -Xmx1024M "e:\Program Files\OmegaT_4.1.1\OmegaT.jar" %*

More details can be found in the manual.

Manie van den Heever
Manie van den Heever

Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your response Jun 26, 2017

Dear Esperantisto

Thank you for taking the time to write a response to my question.

Regarding the batch file: The reason I asked is that I thought it was much quicker and simpler to launch OmegaT from the shortcut pinned to my taskbar. At this stage, the batch file is tucked away in the OmegaT directory inside the program files folder. I suppose I could put a shortcut to it on my desktop, which would make launching the application as quick and easy as via the usual shor
... See more
Dear Esperantisto

Thank you for taking the time to write a response to my question.

Regarding the batch file: The reason I asked is that I thought it was much quicker and simpler to launch OmegaT from the shortcut pinned to my taskbar. At this stage, the batch file is tucked away in the OmegaT directory inside the program files folder. I suppose I could put a shortcut to it on my desktop, which would make launching the application as quick and easy as via the usual shortcut.

About my question's perceived ambiguity: As I explained in my post, I was not sure where to paste the command provided in the error message. The instruction in the error message said to do so in the "start script", which is why I asked the question in the first place. Not knowing which file or kind of file contained said "start script", nor being able to find a file corresponding to that description in the OmegaT directory (a directory that, I must insist, was not created nor organized by me), I thought I might ask those who know more about this kind of thing (such as yourself) for their help. Your assertion that it is where I put it evokes the image of a careless person losing something and then asking other people to tell him where it is. My question about what kind of file it might be and where I might look for it, however, was born out of a lack of knowledge and experience about the subject and (I sincerely hope) not out of stupidity, forgetfulness, or even wilful obstreperousness. Contrary to what you suggest, I certainly did not put this file anywhere.

Also, in my part of the world at least, the phrase "no joy" means "without success" (and does so according to the Oxford Dictionary of English, which I consulted regarding the offending phrase after reading your instructive advice about avoiding ambiguity and asking good questions). I was not aware that, especially in the context of my question, the expression could be interpreted to mean anything other than that pasting the quoted command in the initialization file did not help, that is, it was an effort unaccompanied by success, or put differently, I still got the error message when trying to open the project in question.

Thank you for pointing me to the manual for more details. As I mentioned in my post, however, I had carefully studied the relevant chapters and paragraphs in it for quite some time (along with any other forum threads I was able to discover via Google) and could find no indication as to the nature or location of the file containing the "start script" referred to in the error message.

Best wishes.
Collapse

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:00
Russian to English
+ ...
Well... Jun 26, 2017

did any of what we said enable you to increase the memory? Any joy?

Susan

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:00
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
More responses Jun 27, 2017

Manievdh wrote:

I could put a shortcut to it on my desktop…

…as well as to the taskbar to launch the program even quicker. Creating a shortcut to a batch file or creating a shortcut to an executive file make no difference.

I certainly did not put this file anywhere.

Yes, it was done by the installer, but, as you say, you have found it in the OmegaT directory.

the phrase "no joy" means "without success"

I know this more or less. But “no joy” and “I get the same error” (is it the same, by the way?) are two absolutely different phrases when discussing technical issues. The first is nothing, the second implies that one has to investigate further the problem (and, probably, look somewhere else) because the suggested remedy did not help.

I still got the error message

Describe in every possible detail (as eloquently as you made your last posting) what you have done. I still can’t understand where you pasted the command.

Manie van den Heever
Manie van den Heever

Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No joy, but some mediocre good feelings after reinstallation Jun 29, 2017

Dear Susan

Nope. A wry smile perhaps, but no joy.

On a more serious note, though, copying and pasting the relevant lines from your initialization file (.ini) did not help. OmegaT, strangely, kept giving the same error message, telling me that my memory was still in the 200MB range, as though making the changes in the initialization file had made no difference. I ended up re-installing OmegaT, and now my memory seems OK.

(I have since encountered new and di
... See more
Dear Susan

Nope. A wry smile perhaps, but no joy.

On a more serious note, though, copying and pasting the relevant lines from your initialization file (.ini) did not help. OmegaT, strangely, kept giving the same error message, telling me that my memory was still in the 200MB range, as though making the changes in the initialization file had made no difference. I ended up re-installing OmegaT, and now my memory seems OK.

(I have since encountered new and different kinds of problems with the recent installation, but I am working on trying to sort them out.)

Thanks for your kind help, anyway.

Best wishes
Collapse

Manie van den Heever
Manie van den Heever

Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip about launching from a batch file Jun 29, 2017

Dear Esperantisto

Thanks again for your tip about launching the application from a batch file. I did not know that it could/should be done and found your comment helpful.

My problem with memory (as you may have seen from my response to Susan) has been sorted out by a re-installation of OmegaT.

Kind regards.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:00
English to French
+ ...
You have to copy OmegaT.l4J.ini outside of Program Files to edit it Jun 30, 2017

Manievdh wrote:
On a more serious note, though, copying and pasting the relevant lines from your initialization file (.ini) did not help. OmegaT, strangely, kept giving the same error message, telling me that my memory was still in the 200MB range, as though making the changes in the initialization file had made no difference.

Since Windows Vista, it's not possible to edit a file directly in Program Files.
If you did not move OmegaT.l4J.ini outside of Program Files, it was not possible to save the change.
That's perhaps what happened.

I ended up re-installing OmegaT, and now my memory seems OK.

Probably because OmegaT's default configuration is -Xmx512M (-xmx1024M for 4.x), which is more than what you had previously.

Didier

Manie van den Heever
Manie van den Heever

Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good to know about having to copy the .ini file outside of program files Jun 30, 2017

Merci, Didier! This is good to know.

Best wishes
Manie

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Problems with increasing memory in OmegaT

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »