Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 04:16
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 7, 2017

Hi,

I am working on a huge job with about 80 different files spread in several subdirectories (around 30 subdirectories i think). I have opened these through "IMPORT FOLDER" rather than "IMPORT FILE". I work in merged view for obvious reasons. The problem, which repeats all the times, is that when it comes to saving, Studio seems unable to save those translations following the original folder allocation structure. Now, since many of these files have same names but different folders,
... See more
Hi,

I am working on a huge job with about 80 different files spread in several subdirectories (around 30 subdirectories i think). I have opened these through "IMPORT FOLDER" rather than "IMPORT FILE". I work in merged view for obvious reasons. The problem, which repeats all the times, is that when it comes to saving, Studio seems unable to save those translations following the original folder allocation structure. Now, since many of these files have same names but different folders, the whole saving process implies A) Closing merged view, B) Reopening each file and C) Saving it. In this way that specific file is automatically saved in its original position.

However, this process not only lengthy, but it also causes constant crashes, most probably due to the fact that i need to work quick so i open/save/close/ files pretty fast.

The question is: Is there any way to force Studio to save files in their original folders working from MERGED VIEW? As is now, it is essentially making me waste all the time i saved by using a TM and other functions. It takes a long time.

Thanks in advance.

Enrico
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:16
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Hard to say Jun 7, 2017

I hope someone with better understanding can help you. But as you already have started the job and merged all files into one, I would suggest you translate this merged file to the end, do the editing in Export for bilingual review -file, do the import from bilingual review, update the tm and then re-translated each folder separately.

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
clarification Jun 7, 2017

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I hope someone with better understanding can help you. But as you already have started the job and merged all files into one, I would suggest you translate this merged file to the end, do the editing in Export for bilingual review -file, do the import from bilingual review, update the tm and then re-translated each folder separately.

Hi Heinrich,

Thanks for the attempt. But that is what i did. I first translated them in merged view then simply went for a "Shift+F12" to save. Studio starts saving them in a sequence. The problem is that instead of saving them in their respective original folders, what it does is saving them all into the folder of the first saved file.

The only way to avoid this is to go back to project view, open the project to see single files (not in edit mode) and save them one by one. It took well over one hour between crashes, files saved twice, missing files etc.

Studio should be able to automatically reallocate each file in its own subdirectory. It is pretty basic. This way it makes you waste all the time you saved with the other functions, not to mention the crashes etc.

But thanks for the help.

Enrico

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:16
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Creating views based on folders? Jun 7, 2017

I have not researched this, but is it possible for you to create individual views based on the folders the documents are in?

I have a project where quote a few files begin with TEP, other files with Design etc., so I create a view named TEP, where I have all the TEP documents.

If it were possible to choose all documents that are in the same folder in the same way (i.e. in my case a folder that for instance is called TEP), then I could have those in one view, translate a
... See more
I have not researched this, but is it possible for you to create individual views based on the folders the documents are in?

I have a project where quote a few files begin with TEP, other files with Design etc., so I create a view named TEP, where I have all the TEP documents.

If it were possible to choose all documents that are in the same folder in the same way (i.e. in my case a folder that for instance is called TEP), then I could have those in one view, translate all the files and then save them in the same folder?

Bu the best would be if Studio could keep the folder tree also if the files are in a view.

Here I would say that Dejavu handles this much better than Studio does, apparently, as it does keep the folder tree also when you work in a project view rather than individual files.

Roy
Collapse

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Use the target folder in the SDL Project Jun 7, 2017

Hi Enrico,

I've had exactly the same problem when translating MadCap files, the ones I get are always in a very complicated tree structure. Like you I add the complete tree structure to Studio when creating the project and use the virtual merge on the files when translating. When I am finished translating I take a copy of the Studio target folder, in my case en-GB in your case it would be Italian, and place it in another folder. In Windows Explorer click on the root folder of the co
... See more
Hi Enrico,

I've had exactly the same problem when translating MadCap files, the ones I get are always in a very complicated tree structure. Like you I add the complete tree structure to Studio when creating the project and use the virtual merge on the files when translating. When I am finished translating I take a copy of the Studio target folder, in my case en-GB in your case it would be Italian, and place it in another folder. In Windows Explorer click on the root folder of the copied folders and in the search window enter "*.sdlxliff", without the quotation ,marks. In the results pane you get a list of all of the sdlxliff files in the folders, then it's just of matter of highlighting and deleting them. The resulting folder structure contains just the files in the target/source format which you can return to your client.

As Heinrich suggested I would only do the above on the final files after reviewing the files with bilingual review.

Regards.

Ben
Collapse

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Viable Jun 8, 2017

Roy Oestensen wrote:

If it were possible to choose all documents that are in the same folder in the same way (i.e. in my case a folder that for instance is called TEP), then I could have those in one view, translate all the files and then save them in the same folder?

Bu the best would be if Studio could keep the folder tree also if the files are in a view.

Here I would say that Dejavu handles this much better than Studio does, apparently, as it does keep the folder tree also when you work in a project view rather than individual files.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Thanks for your contribution. It would be viable, i guess, but it would only add up to the mess and the customer asks specifically to keep the exact order of all files and subfolders in which they are allocated. I do this manually normally and most times there are issues.

But it's an idea, and ideas are always welcome.

Enrico C - ECLC
Taiwan
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good solution but.. Jun 8, 2017

Ben Senior wrote:

Hi Enrico,

I've had exactly the same problem when translating MadCap files, the ones I get are always in a very complicated tree structure. Like you I add the complete tree structure to Studio when creating the project and use the virtual merge on the files when translating. When I am finished translating I take a copy of the Studio target folder, in my case en-GB in your case it would be Italian, and place it in another folder. In Windows Explorer click on the root folder of the copied folders and in the search window enter "*.sdlxliff", without the quotation ,marks. In the results pane you get a list of all of the sdlxliff files in the folders, then it's just of matter of highlighting and deleting them. The resulting folder structure contains just the files in the target/source format which you can return to your client.

As Heinrich suggested I would only do the above on the final files after reviewing the files with bilingual review.

Regards.

Ben

Hi Ben,

It's a good way to bypass the limitation. I will try to do it, even though i have already delivered the job. However, this implies exporting files for bilingual review then reimporting them. Something i rarely do in my workflow. It is, essentially, a huge waste of time anyway.

But thanks for helping out. It's appreciated.

Enrico

Ben Senior
Ben Senior  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
However you want to do it Jun 8, 2017

Enrico C - ECLC wrote:

Hi Ben,

It's a good way to bypass the limitation. I will try to do it, even though i have already delivered the job. However, this implies exporting files for bilingual review then reimporting them. Something i rarely do in my workflow. It is, essentially, a huge waste of time anyway.

But thanks for helping out. It's appreciated.

Enrico

Hi Enrico,

Whether you use export for external review or checking your translation by some other means is quite irrelevant. My point was to copy the folder structure out of the project folder when you are satisfied that they are complete.

The method works very well for me, but should there be a way to achieve the same results directly from Studio I would be very interested to find out what it is.

Cheers.

Ben

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How Studio 2017 saves files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »