Lucia Messuti
Lucia Messuti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:36
English to Italian
+ ...
Spellcheker and other features Jul 4, 2016

Hi John,

I use the spellchecker in each segment as I did in WF3, I don't have highlighted terms and I save the files as in the WF3 locally.

Lucia

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Disable spellcheck as you type Jul 4, 2016

Lucia Me wrote:

Hi John,

I use the spellchecker in each segment as I did in WF3, I don't have highlighted terms and I save the files as in the WF3 locally.

Lucia

Hi Lucia,

Can you try disabling "Check for spelling errors as you type" in the preferences?

I would not recommend checking for errors as you type as this interrupts your translation process and therefore makes you less efficient. Editing/revision should be done after translation. Furthermore, if you misspell the same word multiple times, you will be stopped each time. If you check at the end, you can use the "Change all" functionality.

Kind regards,

John

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Wordfast 4 features Jul 4, 2016

Hi John,
thanks for the tips. I'll try the final spellcheck as you suggested.
Any way to enable WF to user more RAM?I don't know if this might speed it up?

Thanks
Lucia

John Daniel
John Daniel
Local time: 05:36
Disable Show whitespace characters Jul 6, 2016

Lucia Me wrote:

Hi John,
thanks for the tips. I'll try the final spellcheck as you suggested.
Any way to enable WF to user more RAM?I don't know if this might speed it up?

Thanks
Lucia

Hi Lucia,

You can disable Show Whitespace Characters button under Edit Tab in TXLF editor. This improves the speed on TXLF editor.

Thank you,

John

Lucia Messuti
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Show Whitespace Characters Jul 6, 2016

Hi John

I don't have Show Whitespace Characters enabled. Is it a default setting in WF4?

Thanks
Lucia

Paul Sinfield
Paul Sinfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:36
French to English
Solution that worked for me Jul 15, 2016

I had a conversation with Wordfast support yesterday to help me resolve issues with speed moving from segment to segment - often up to 10-15 secs per segment.

When we'd nearly exhausted all options I was asked where I store my TMs. I use Google Drive to back up my files and John suggested that I pause the sync while translating as Google is effectively syncing every change as I work. I have since tried this and it appears to be the magic bullet - I've been working all day today wit
... See more
I had a conversation with Wordfast support yesterday to help me resolve issues with speed moving from segment to segment - often up to 10-15 secs per segment.

When we'd nearly exhausted all options I was asked where I store my TMs. I use Google Drive to back up my files and John suggested that I pause the sync while translating as Google is effectively syncing every change as I work. I have since tried this and it appears to be the magic bullet - I've been working all day today with no speed issues at all (no other changes made).

Hope this helps ...
Collapse

Julie Dion (X)
Julie Dion (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:36
English to French
Disable white space Jul 19, 2016

John Daniel wrote:

You can disable Show Whitespace Characters button under Edit Tab in TXLF editor. This improves the speed on TXLF editor.

John

Wow, this does speed up the process. Who knew! I like seeing white spaces, but WFP4 is not very good at handling them visually. They giggle around while you type.

Thanks.

Klaas Levelt
Klaas Levelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
Similar issues Mar 7, 2017

I am having speed issues too on a very new and fast system, even after trying all the settings suggestions. I have to work with online TMs, so I don't have any control over where these are stored, but in WF3 this wasn't a problem. Three things are particularly annoying:
- (Already mentioned above) Loss of focus – I really don't see why I should starting using another shortcut to restore focus to the edit window when I haven't done anything to lose it in the first place.
- (Already
... See more
I am having speed issues too on a very new and fast system, even after trying all the settings suggestions. I have to work with online TMs, so I don't have any control over where these are stored, but in WF3 this wasn't a problem. Three things are particularly annoying:
- (Already mentioned above) Loss of focus – I really don't see why I should starting using another shortcut to restore focus to the edit window when I haven't done anything to lose it in the first place.
- (Already mentioned above) When going to a new segment, the cursor ends up at the end instead of the start.
- For jobs where no editing of 100% matches is specified, I can't quickly tap through a series of green matches by repeatedly tapping my shortcut, instead I have to wait for each segment to load until I can tap the shortcut again. Very frustrating! I don't think Translate until Fuzzy is a solution either, as this is a very slow process too.

I really hope the developers read this and are able to fix some of these problems in a new release.

Thanks,

Klaas
Collapse

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Solutions Mar 8, 2017

Klaas Levelt wrote:
Three things are particularly annoying:
- (Already mentioned above) When going to a new segment, the cursor ends up at the end instead of the start.
- For jobs where no editing of 100% matches is specified, I can't quickly tap through a series of green matches by repeatedly tapping my shortcut, instead I have to wait for each segment to load until I can tap the shortcut again. Very frustrating! I don't think Translate until Fuzzy is a solution either, as this is a very slow process too.

I really hope the developers read this and are able to fix some of these problems in a new release.

Hi Klaas,

There are some solutions already to these problems:
1. Not really sure what is causing it to lose focus. Would need precisions.
2. Hmm, I thought I saw a way to change this in the preferences but now I can’t find it… Indeed, it is an outstanding improvement ticket. I'll post here when implemented.
3. You can either go under Preferences > Layout and tick the options Skip Unedited Context Matches and Skip Unedited 100% Matches or use the segment filter bar to filter out 100% and/or context matches.

Best,
John

Klaas Levelt
Klaas Levelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:36
English to Dutch
+ ...
thanks and another thing on my wishlist Mar 15, 2017

Thanks John, these are some useful tips. Just another thing that would be extremely useful and save a lot of time: the ability to just quickly open a TXML in Wordfast without specifying any project settings (as was possible in WF3), just to have a quick look through notes or apply some simple edits.

John Di Rico
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Create simple project Mar 15, 2017

Klaas Levelt wrote:

Thanks John, these are some useful tips. Just another thing that would be extremely useful and save a lot of time: the ability to just quickly open a TXML in Wordfast without specifying any project settings (as was possible in WF3), just to have a quick look through notes or apply some simple edits.

Hi Klaas,

For this, I would recommend creating a project with your language codes, and call it that. For example, the project would be "en-US to fr-FR".
Just open this project and then drop your TXLF file in it.

Best,
John

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WF Pro 4 : Why is it so slow?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »