Thread poster: Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:35
French to English
+ ...
Compatability Oct 19, 2017

Couldn't the 1-5 rating system be limited to the Cloud jobs platform you just released and people involved in that?

Thao Tran

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Weapon of choice Oct 19, 2017

Being a monopoly is a huge burden of responsibility. The word "threaten" was a hit.
Does proz.com want "the same old folks" and new ones to stay because
1) members' words are heard, members are happy and satisfied to use the site and the site's aim is to show a quality standard in translation industry.
or
2) because for many members this is the only choice (misuse of being a monopoly).

As someone said before: no monopoly lasts forever, because the recipe is
... See more
Being a monopoly is a huge burden of responsibility. The word "threaten" was a hit.
Does proz.com want "the same old folks" and new ones to stay because
1) members' words are heard, members are happy and satisfied to use the site and the site's aim is to show a quality standard in translation industry.
or
2) because for many members this is the only choice (misuse of being a monopoly).

As someone said before: no monopoly lasts forever, because the recipe is given, it's just the matter of time when it will be used by someone else who listens to the words of translators who want quality.
I hope Henry will choose the right path.

This music video came to my mind: Fatboy Slim: Weapon of choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMZwZiU0kKs
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Next step Oct 19, 2017

Katalin Szilárd wrote:

.....no monopoly lasts forever, because the recipe is given....

Certainly, anyone who wants to start something different has access to an enormous amount of information.

[Edited at 2017-10-19 08:15 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Agree Oct 19, 2017

Georgie Scott wrote:

Couldn't the 1-5 rating system be limited to the Cloud jobs platform you just released and people involved in that?

That's what I thought too when ratings were first discussed, since that happened in connection with "Pools". Since that feature also comes with a new directory and user profiles, I thought the ratings would only be applicable to that and to the projects assigned through it.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Agreed 2 Oct 19, 2017

Georgie Scott wrote:

Good idea!

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
A couple of questions Oct 19, 2017

Will this concern everyone on the site or just paying members?
Will translators be allowed to opt out of this completely?
If we don't rate an agency, can they rate us anyway?
Exactly who in the agency will be rating the translators?
Will the agencies' comments also be visible to paying members only (like the BB) or will everyone be able to see them?
Isn't there a risk of an agency using this just to get back at a translator for one reason or another?

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
As an occasional outsourcer... Oct 19, 2017

... I would just looooove to rate some of the providers I worked with. Late deliveries, typos everywhere, random layout, asking for extra payment because the job took longer than expected, instructions about text length not followed, blatant inconsistency in technical terms, different technical terms collapsed into the same translation, over-proofreading, job cancelled right before the deadline albeit being given several days or even weeks to do it, wrong invoicing (strangely, always on the plus... See more
... I would just looooove to rate some of the providers I worked with. Late deliveries, typos everywhere, random layout, asking for extra payment because the job took longer than expected, instructions about text length not followed, blatant inconsistency in technical terms, different technical terms collapsed into the same translation, over-proofreading, job cancelled right before the deadline albeit being given several days or even weeks to do it, wrong invoicing (strangely, always on the plus side), whole sentences left out, repeated emails asking for clarification that was already given in advance, and on and on.

And then, once in a while, like a ray of light in the darkness, somebody who delivers a flawless translation, in advance, no fuss. Now that deserves a 5-star rating, and I'll be just as happy to post one.
Collapse

Corinne Simon-Duneau

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:35
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
One more question Oct 19, 2017

writeaway wrote:

Will the agencies' comments also be visible to paying members only (like the BB) or will everyone be able to see them?
Isn't there a risk of an agency using this just to get back at a translator for one reason or another?

Isn't there a risk of agencies requesting discounts in exchange for high ratings?

Drew MacFadyen
Drew MacFadyen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
More detailed overview of the WWA rating system including FAQ's Oct 19, 2017

For a more detailed outline of the WWA rating program, including FAQ's please visit this forum post - https://www.proz.com/topic/319753

Regards,

Drew

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:35
English to French
+ ...
That could be an issue... Oct 19, 2017

Axelle H. wrote:

The new Upwork ?

This is where this could become where translators can become a cheap workforce, you're right. If this happens this will cripple the number of paying members (less money for membership in the long run and unsecure feeling). ProZ is already running low on staff, this seems like a very complicated move. Why change a system that has been working well for a long time?

My bests to all

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
When this will be implemented? Oct 19, 2017

Drew MacFadyen wrote:

For a more detailed outline of the WWA rating program, including FAQ's please visit this forum post - https://www.proz.com/topic/319753

Regards,

Drew

I see, I am interested in knowing when this will be implemented as it seems already decided

Best

Edit: I see it has been activated, a reason for not renewing the plus membership this year, as we "old members" have no voice.
I will pay for the standard only.

[Edited at 2017-10-20 09:49 GMT]

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
An additional question Oct 19, 2017

Will translators who are willing to participate have the right to have unfavourable remarks/comments removed the same as agencies do now?

[Edited at 2017-10-19 17:57 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:35
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Not a risk: a near certainty Oct 19, 2017

Michele Fauble wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Isn't there a risk of agencies requesting discounts in exchange for high ratings?

Considering all the messages seen in the threads about (certain) agencies demanding that translators remove a negative rating if they want to be paid, I would say that (from such as them), this would not be a risk: it would be a certainty.

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
And here it is! Oct 19, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

... I would just looooove to rate some of the providers I worked with. Late deliveries, typos everywhere, random layout, asking for extra payment because the job took longer than expected, instructions about text length not followed, blatant inconsistency in technical terms, different technical terms collapsed into the same translation, over-proofreading, job cancelled right before the deadline albeit being given several days or even weeks to do it, wrong invoicing (strangely, always on the plus side), whole sentences left out, repeated emails asking for clarification that was already given in advance, and on and on.

And then, once in a while, like a ray of light in the darkness, somebody who delivers a flawless translation, in advance, no fuss. Now that deserves a 5-star rating, and I'll be just as happy to post one.

You can enter ratings now. I can see this option has been activated.

[Edited at 2017-10-19 18:12 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Lol Oct 19, 2017

Daniel Frisano wrote:

So familiar!!!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

¡Finally here! WWA rating for translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »