Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:32
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Very good question! Oct 19, 2017

writeaway wrote:

Will translators who are willing to participate have the right to have unfavourable remarks/comments removed the same as agencies do now?

(one of the old folks, too, that would extremely appreciate at least equal rights between agencies and freelancers)

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:32
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Henry, Oct 19, 2017

Please would you answer Writeaway's highly pertinent questions.

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:32
German to English
+ ...
What equal rights are we talking about? Oct 20, 2017

Christel Zipfel wrote:

writeaway wrote:

Will translators who are willing to participate have the right to have unfavourable remarks/comments removed the same as agencies do now?

(one of the old folks, too, that would extremely appreciate at least equal rights between agencies and freelancers)

An agency pays an annual fee (standard package) 299 USD while an old folk pays only 120 USD

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Exclude me please Oct 20, 2017

Dear Priz

Kindly exclude me from this WWA thing. When I paid for membership and renewed it I did not agree to being included in it. Do so with immediate effect.

Thanks in advance.

Connected Tr (X)
Connected Tr (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
You can hide it Oct 20, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Dear Priz

Kindly exclude me from this WWA thing. When I paid for membership and renewed it I did not agree to being included in it. Do so with immediate effect.

Thanks in advance.

Tom - you can click 'Hide from visitors' to stop people seeing your WWA.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Where? Oct 20, 2017

Connected Trans wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Dear Priz

Thanks in advance.

I don't often visit my own profile (because I'm busy and I find it chaotic to navigate). I'd be grateful if you can point me to where I can do that. All I can find is this:

Screen Shot

- which is no good to me, because I do not want to lose the option of posting on the BB.

[Edited at 2017-10-20 08:57 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Generational replacement Oct 20, 2017

Maija Cirule wrote:

Christel Zipfel wrote:

An agency pays an annual fee (standard package) 299 USD while an old folk pays only 120 USD per year but Plus package price for an agency is 499 USD per year while an old folk pays 180 USD. Get it?

The standard package includes:

Business member badge
Priority placement in the ProZ.com directory of translation companies
Blue Board™ benefits

Yes but... on that very same page you can also read "Join the 514 Business Members at ProZ.com". I'm not sure 514 business members pay more (overall, obviously) than several thousand translators...

IMO the point is that ProZ would be nothing without outsourcers using it, which is why they are "worth more" to them than service providers, even though the latter actually pay the bulk of subscriptions (and contribute much more towards ads revenue, traffic generation, free content creation, partnerships with software developers, etc.)...

The vibe I've been getting for a while now, with the endless non-stop changes being made (regardless or even in open spite of existing users' opinions and concerns), and with repeated remarks such as the 'old folks' one, is that they don't really care if a few (or many) 'old folks' stop paying for membership and/or, even better, leave altogether, because they will be replaced by "new folks", who obviously can't compare the "new ProZ" with the "old ProZ" and who will in most cases be enthusiastic about anything new (and shiny) that is thrown at them, also considering that many of them will find concepts such as first-come-first-served automatic project allocation systems, crowdsourced translation platforms,"freelance" portals that pay $5 for 500 words, etc. etc. to be "the norm" instead of something to complain and/or be worried about...

[Edited at 2017-10-20 11:31 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Bad vibes Oct 20, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

The vibe I've getting for a while now, with the endless non-stop changes being made

Yes, it's a serious nuisance. We're busy people who can't be expected to constantly check to see what has changed (without us being informed in advance). All this new stuff is driving me up the wall, particularly since I have no need for any of it. When is it going to stop?

Connected Tr (X)
Connected Tr (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Chinese to English
+ ...
Here it is! Oct 20, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

I don't often visit my own profile (because I'm busy and I find it chaotic to navigate). I'd be grateful if you can point me to where I can do that.

Just click on "Hide from visitors" in the WWA box:

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Thanks Oct 20, 2017

Connected Trans wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

I don't often visit my own profile (because I'm busy and I find it chaotic to navigate). I'd be grateful if you can point me to where I can do that.

Ah - thanks for holding me by the hand I feel better now.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
There should be a separate opt-out option... somewhere... Oct 20, 2017

Tom in London wrote:

Connected Trans wrote:

Yeah, I couldn't find that either, although, based on what's been posted on the official WWA rating thread, there should be a separate option to hide/show them:

What are service providers options regarding the visibility of their WWA ratings?
There are two options for visibility of service provider WWA ratings:
- Display all WWA ratings publicly to all profiles visitors
- Keep all WWA ratings private

If service providers choose not to display WWA ratings, profile owners will still see their WWA ratings but visitors to their profile will see no trace of WWA ratings.

If service providers choose to show WWA ratings, all visitors to their profile will see all of their WWA ratings.

What about my WWA feedback?
Your WWA feedback and settings will not change. You will keep all of your WWA feedback and you may choose to show or hide all WWA feedback, independent of showing or hiding your WWA ratings.

At any rate, as of now, if someone clicks to leave WWA, what they're shown is the new interface to leave a 1-5 "WWA rating", not the old WWA feedback (wow, that's confusing...), with a very small "* Prefer to leave general WWA feedback instead? Click here." at the bottom of the page... So, basically, "WWA ratings" have not only been introduced at lightning speed, but they've also become the new "standard" system to rate service providers, basically supplanting the WWA we were used to...

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
WWA feedback Oct 20, 2017

Connected Trans wrote:

But that's for the old "WWA feedback", not the new "WWA rating"... or is it?

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
They are together Oct 20, 2017

Mirko Mainardi wrote:

Connected Trans wrote:

But that's for the old "WWA feedback", not the new "WWA rating"... or is it?

If I am not wrong it is the same thing, I now see "rate this service provider"

and not the old wwa anymore, check mine, below is as I see yours.

Capture2

[Edited at 2017-10-20 10:35 GMT]

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Not clear Oct 20, 2017

I can see two options right now: hide WWA and withdraw from WWA.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
confusing Oct 20, 2017

Álvaro Espantaleón wrote:

I can see two options right now: hide WWA and withdraw from WWA.

Yes - utterly confusing.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

¡Finally here! WWA rating for translators

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »