Nicolas Gambardella
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:39
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 1, 2020

Hello,

I have a long-standing problem with CTE. It might well be a basic issue, answered in the documentation and I failed to find it. If so, I apologise.

The problem comes from the unilateral tags. If tags open and close in the middle of a segment, no problem; I can move the opening and closing tags. However, there are many situations where the opening tag is invisible, confounded with the beginning of the segment, e.g.

Source: Alzheimer1's disease
... See more
Hello,

I have a long-standing problem with CTE. It might well be a basic issue, answered in the documentation and I failed to find it. If so, I apologise.

The problem comes from the unilateral tags. If tags open and close in the middle of a segment, no problem; I can move the opening and closing tags. However, there are many situations where the opening tag is invisible, confounded with the beginning of the segment, e.g.

Source: Alzheimer1's disease
Target: La maladie d'Alzheimer1

Here the tag 1 means what is before is in Bold. I want only the word "Alzheimer" to be bold. However, everything before 1 will be bold.

Conversely, I am translating a huge amount of scientific documents using the US custom of putting citation superscripts after the punctuation. Here, the closing tag is confounded with the end of the segment. Moving the opening tag before the citation put both citation and punctuation as superscript. See below

tags

I have not problems with some other CAT tools where all tags are visible and can be moved.

Is there a way to tell in the first case "start bold here" and in the second case "end superscript here"

NB: using CTE tagging, whether bold and superscript is not a solution since the tags won't be correctly transfered in an interpretable form in the target document (At least if I did not create the project myself, receiving a Trados file).

Best regards
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
  Jul 1, 2020

I think you are raising one of the most important issues to fix when it comes to CafeTran's handling of external projects (I am thinking especially about SDL Trados projects). I have mentionned it a few times in the past, and it has frustrated me oftentimes as well.

Only one of the dual tags (start bold/end bold, etc.) are displayed when the segment starts or ends with bold, for example.

Since words often require rearrangement in the target language, in effect a transla
... See more
I think you are raising one of the most important issues to fix when it comes to CafeTran's handling of external projects (I am thinking especially about SDL Trados projects). I have mentionned it a few times in the past, and it has frustrated me oftentimes as well.

Only one of the dual tags (start bold/end bold, etc.) are displayed when the segment starts or ends with bold, for example.

Since words often require rearrangement in the target language, in effect a translator working with no access to SDL Trados cannot provide a final version to the client.

This would be one of the most welcome improvements I can think of, so I second it wholeheartedly.

Jean
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:39
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Tags visibility Jul 2, 2020

If you use CafeTran 10.7.5 version, you can unfold the tags in external projects and enhance their visibility by toggling the following options (when needed) in the menu Action > Tags:

- hide tag details
- hide segment boundary tags
- merge adjacent tags

Unhiding and disjoining tags might improve their control, at the cost of some clarity though.

Nicolas Gambardella
Nicolas Gambardella
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:39
Member (2019)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This only works in some situations Jul 2, 2020

Hello Igor,

Thanks a lot for your answer. The solution works fine for me if I receive an SDLXLIFF. Indeed, I can then reveal and expand the tags. This is great, I can (probably) solve some of my problems.

However, this does not work if I create a new project from an MS Office or LibreOffice document. In that case, no matter what I select in Action>>Tags, the number and visualisation of the tag does not change. I still get something like:

"word word word 1wo
... See more
Hello Igor,

Thanks a lot for your answer. The solution works fine for me if I receive an SDLXLIFF. Indeed, I can then reveal and expand the tags. This is great, I can (probably) solve some of my problems.

However, this does not work if I create a new project from an MS Office or LibreOffice document. In that case, no matter what I select in Action>>Tags, the number and visualisation of the tag does not change. I still get something like:

"word word word 1word word"

instead of:

"1<mrk mtype="seg" mid="11">word word word 2<g id="1">word word3</g> 4</mrk>"

I tried with an ODT file and a PPTX file.

[Edited at 2020-07-02 11:45 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

control of closing tags

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »