Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >
Corona quarantine diary
Thread poster: Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spanje
Local time: 12:12
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Exy! Oct 31, 2020

How kind of you. That was "partir a loiça toda", oh yes, I remember.

Well, not "partir a loiça toda", but I certainly had a good time writing Part VI! Actually, it had been more or less written, but I didn't have time. It was a question of putting it together. And I wrote the wavies first, and then the beginning section. It's not the first time I've done it that way.

[Edited at 2020-10-31 16:00 GMT]

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Duitsland
Member (2007)
uit Nederlands in Duits
+ ...
Good idea ... Oct 31, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

“Nein, nein. A roll as sausage, and peas in soup. For us zee drugs to hide. Anyone can valk along zee street vith drugs in zee sausage, and zee polizei nozzing suspect. In Germany everyone pea sausage uses. Zey valk vith sausage under zer arms. Especially zee children. Yes, children all zer childhood in Germany valk vith sausage, to school and back. Ja, vee can use die Kinder too, as mules. Police never bozzer vith zee kids.”

... and no wonder Erbswurst isn´t produced anymore since 2018. But I´m clicking my heels for that idea and die rest of de text. And ssank ju vor the credits, you´re welcome!

Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 11:12
Member (2015)
uit Engels in Portugees
+ ...
De nada Oct 31, 2020

Es un placer

Yes, Matthias deserved those credits, as well as Chris!

Spanje
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
White riot, I wanna riot ... Nov 1, 2020

That's what Joe Strummer would have sung about last night's rioting in Logroño. A photo in the newspaper this morning shows a severed arm beside a torso, which in turn has been torn from the lower half of the body. Slightly further along the pavement, a pair of legs and pelvis, but no upper body. A single leg just beyond that. Yes, that was Logroño last night, the capital of La Rioja just down the road, not usually in the news for anything at all except fine wines.

No, no, kill th
... See more
That's what Joe Strummer would have sung about last night's rioting in Logroño. A photo in the newspaper this morning shows a severed arm beside a torso, which in turn has been torn from the lower half of the body. Slightly further along the pavement, a pair of legs and pelvis, but no upper body. A single leg just beyond that. Yes, that was Logroño last night, the capital of La Rioja just down the road, not usually in the news for anything at all except fine wines.

No, no, kill that gag reflex, it's OK, now you can take away the hand that clapped over your mouth in horror as you read that first bit. The photo shows a clothes outlet that had been broken into by anti-curfew protesters on the rampage, and the body parts mentioned above were all tailor's dummies scattered outside the shop once all the looting looters had looted and left with the loot. In my opinion still highly symbolic, though, at the very least, because a photographer doesn't take that kind of shot for nothing.

I wonder which comes first, the looting chicken or the looting egg? Do you just decide tonight's looting night, and so you join the protesters burning stuff and chucking stones at the cops as a means to an end, or are there committed, ordinary decent protesters who suddenly find themselves outside a shop front with a broken window, and oh look, there's a nice jacket and some jeans too, might as well ...?

Whichever way it may be, Logroño (and Bilbao again last night, and Vitoria too) certainly isn't used to this kind of thing. Most of the rioters were young people fed up with things curfew, but the older ones certainly weren't showing any solidarity with them, and were in fact helping the police by showing them where the kids were holed up.

On the other side of the coin, you may remember what I said a day or two ago about all the bigshots lounging around with no masks at a press hoedown ... Well. We now know that Spanish MPs have also just voted themselves a pay rise (6%, I think it is), and the Royals also get more. Why? Why do they need more? And why doesn't anybody ask why? Why could they possibly need more? The answer is that they don't. They just want more. Which irritates people. Maybe the kids too, I don't know.

It irritates me too, but - something which probably doesn't apply to most of the kids - on 30 October my Social Security payment was docked from my bank account. So what, you may ask? They dock it on the last day of the month, and they dock it like clockwork, too. And if the last day of the month falls on a holiday or the weekend, they even dock it the day before, like this time. I know it's not a lot, but I find the payment is now just under 3 euros more. But this time I'd have been annoyed if it had been 3 euro cents more.

So I'm more annoyed than any of the groups. I'm very annoyed with the rioters.

But most of all I'm annoyed with politicians, every single one of them, who do nothing but argue and never improve my lot, and since the day before yesterday are now in fact charging me more for the privilege of trying to keep afloat workwise, and I'm annoyed with people who live in palaces I pay for as well, plus all their hangers-on, and I'm annoyed with everyone in this paragraph because they keep telling me that we are all in the same boat and that we are all pulling together. And we f***ing aren't, on either count.

[Edited at 2020-11-01 11:58 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-01 12:22 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Chris S

Spanje
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Back to the balcony? Nov 2, 2020

Basque President Íñigo Urkullu might be sending us all back home shortly, like in March, no sport, no bars, no events, no nothing. The word is that this might happen on Friday. Since they brought in the restrictions, it seems to me that it's getting worse, not better. Intensive care units here are pretty stretched, they were saying on the news last night.

Still, that should quell the rioting, which by yesterday had extended to Madrid (down Gran Vía, the main drag), and also furth
... See more
Basque President Íñigo Urkullu might be sending us all back home shortly, like in March, no sport, no bars, no events, no nothing. The word is that this might happen on Friday. Since they brought in the restrictions, it seems to me that it's getting worse, not better. Intensive care units here are pretty stretched, they were saying on the news last night.

Still, that should quell the rioting, which by yesterday had extended to Madrid (down Gran Vía, the main drag), and also further south to Málaga and a couple of other cities, I think. Or maybe it won't quell anything. People throwing petrol bombs because they're already browned off with semi-restrictions aren't likely to welcome a full set of restrictions, are they?

As for who the rioters are, nobody seems to know, even though they've arrested quite a few of them. There's talk of "professional instigators of unrest" - ? "So what do you do for a crust?" - "Me, oh I instigate unrest. In a professional capacity, obviously. Tomorrow I'm flying into Prague to kick some general ass, and then it's off to Copenhagen to block off streets, burn tyres, erect barriers, and rip out the Little Mermaid and chuck her right out into the sea where mermaids belong, and after that the Unrest Instigation Committee decides what we do next."

The left is blaming the ultra-right, of course. I'm inclined to agree with them. The ultra-right, as far as I could discern, didn't actually blame anyone, but issued statements such as "Chaos on the streets. Lack of control ... etc.", with the implication that the government's screwing up, and this is the result. Everyone, of course, has given the security forces their full backing ... stand as one ... affront to democracy ... blah-blah etc.
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis
Chris S
Angie Garbarino

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
uit Engels in Portugees
+ ...
Back to "You can't touch this": Nov 2, 2020

"Locked in my room got me felling really pissed":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbe_aoaw0y4

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
Matthias Brombach

Spanje
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well ... Nov 2, 2020

... that's brightened up my day, Exy. It must have taken him ages to put that together.

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
uit Engels in Portugees
+ ...
You're right, Mervyn Nov 2, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

... that's brightened up my day, Exy. It must have taken him ages to put that together.

Creative to the maximum, and a very talented boy.
I can't imagine all the hard work involved.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio

Spanje
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Gilda Nov 3, 2020

I must tell you about this. I'm doing an extremely interesting, fun, though occasionally rather difficult tourism translation, about the Basque Country, and I've now reached the gastronomy section (of course I have!!!) It's all about the "gilda" eaten in bars all over Euskadi and the state in general. I haven't actually gone over the translation yet, so don't carp, it's not finished, but it's the last bit that I typed in. I finished the sentence, had a look and then I started to laugh and laugh ... See more
I must tell you about this. I'm doing an extremely interesting, fun, though occasionally rather difficult tourism translation, about the Basque Country, and I've now reached the gastronomy section (of course I have!!!) It's all about the "gilda" eaten in bars all over Euskadi and the state in general. I haven't actually gone over the translation yet, so don't carp, it's not finished, but it's the last bit that I typed in. I finished the sentence, had a look and then I started to laugh and laugh and laugh, and I think I'll definitely have to change it before I send off this job. See what you think:

The "gilda" is one of the most popular pintxos found on bar counters in the Basque Country. It is “green [meaning “raunchy” in Spanish], vivacious and a little spicy. Like Rita Hayworth in her role as Gilda”, said the inventor of the pintxo in 1946, in due consideration of the similarities he saw in his creation to the actress in her highly acclaimed "hot" role.

The man who invented the gilda was Joaquín Aramburu from Donostia, aka “Txepetxa”, a habitual customer of the Casa Vallés bar in San Sebastián. Txepetxa used a cocktail stick to skewer the green peppers, anchovies and olives he had been given along with the hand-held wine “porrones” served at the bar. The idea caught on among the other customers, and all that was left to do was to give it the suggestive name which, like the actress, went down a storm.

I reckon I have to change those last four words to "caused a huge sensation", don't you think?

[Edited at 2020-11-03 10:05 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

Chris S  Identity Verified
Verenigde Koninkryk
uit Sweeds in Engels
+ ...
I think you could slide that in Nov 3, 2020

Lol. Have you considered writing erotica?

P.L.F.Persio

Spanje
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Erotica Nov 3, 2020

Oh, don't get me started. Maybe, just maybe I already have.

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
uit Engels in Portugees
+ ...
I didn't know this "Gilda", except the "femme fatale" Nov 3, 2020

I had to find out what it is: http://holafoodie.com/recipe/gilda/
It seems very "picante". I don't like spicy food at all, but I believe your text is better than mine... I have the weirdest foods of a certain chef, it's challenging!
Thanks for sharing

Spanje
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No confinement? Nov 4, 2020

Maybe not. Our Basque President, or Lehendakari, is keeping his cards close to his chest. The Lehendakari (which means something like the first one to take or lead, something along those lines, because many Basque words are all combinations of two or three ideas or concepts, and that's why they're all so long) has been saying recently he can't rule anything out. But he's not ruling anything in, either. Someone Who Knows told the Basques that there was talk of something by this Friday, but today'... See more
Maybe not. Our Basque President, or Lehendakari, is keeping his cards close to his chest. The Lehendakari (which means something like the first one to take or lead, something along those lines, because many Basque words are all combinations of two or three ideas or concepts, and that's why they're all so long) has been saying recently he can't rule anything out. But he's not ruling anything in, either. Someone Who Knows told the Basques that there was talk of something by this Friday, but today's Wednesday, and all quiet still, and you can't really announce something on Thursday for Friday, can you? So it looks like they'll just tough it up a bit, but let us go out nonetheless.

Not your typical Basque, Íñigo Urkullu. Former teacher, Basque philologist. Non-smoker, non-drinker. The first is well, why not, but the second's not at all common over here. He also valiantly declined to live in the official little palace residence in Vitoria, known as Ajuria Enea, and - as far as I know - still lives in his house in Durango, in this province.

I met him once - well before he made Lehendakari, this was - after he'd given a talk at the local batzoki or Basque Nationalist Party bar. See, there's another one, batu means meet, and toki is place, so batzoki is meeting place (except it's usually drinking). At the time I had the idea I would be the only Basque-English translator on the planet, but I got disillusioned because the only stuff I got was academic blurb on 6th century Basque religious iconography etc. I'm not joking about the iconography, either. It would have been tough enough in Spanish, that one. But after that, I said that's it, and called it a day, so my Basque-English combination is no more than theoretical. Nobody ever gives you any normal stuff like process descriptions, annual accounts, oh no.

One of the Basques knew somebody who knew somebody who knew somebody who knew Urkullu that day, and so I got introduced, and I talked to him in Basque for a few minutes. I suppose I was expecting him to say, "I say, I say, I say, what's all this? A Basque-speaking bloke from the Old Sod, eh? Well, let's see if we can't get you heavily involved and heavily moneyed with the party and the administration, to further Basques and Basqueness worldwide. I'll have my people call you, OK?"

But he didn't. And he never called, either. I like to think it was his loss, but it wasn't. It was mine. Still, no hard feelings, Íñigo. But it's not too late, if you ever get to read this. I might have to derust my Basque because it's more than foosty, but I'm still up for it.

[Edited at 2020-11-04 13:07 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
uit Engels in Portugees
+ ...
I don't think so... Nov 4, 2020

I think Spain will be under a partial lockdown.
Today, we beat our record since March: almost 7,500 cases and 59 deaths.
Where is the discipline now, country of "heróis do mar"?!
I'm keeping my hope alive for all of us.

PS: Right now there's a very strong and strange wind where I live, if you don't find me here tomorrow, do not worry! I probably be flying over the sky with my magic carpet

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio

Spanje
uit Spaans in Engels
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't think of a title Nov 5, 2020

No inspiration this morning. I think today's and yesterday's blaargh took it all.

Looks like we won't be confined after all, so we can concentrate on other things, and the big issue is, apart from Messrs Trump and Biden, another episode in the trials and tribulations of the former king. Not that there'll ever be any trials, but it's a nasty little story all the same. Apparently, not only did the Saudis give him a shedload of money for brokering a high-speed railway deal, some of whi
... See more
No inspiration this morning. I think today's and yesterday's blaargh took it all.

Looks like we won't be confined after all, so we can concentrate on other things, and the big issue is, apart from Messrs Trump and Biden, another episode in the trials and tribulations of the former king. Not that there'll ever be any trials, but it's a nasty little story all the same. Apparently, not only did the Saudis give him a shedload of money for brokering a high-speed railway deal, some of which he gave to his Nordic squeeze (and then tried to get back - fancy!), but it's now been revealed that a moneyed Mexican handed over large amounts of moolah too.

You see, Juanca was keen for Queen Sofía to continue with the life of luxury she'd become accustomed to, so the word is that he gave her some plastic to spend, spend, spend, and spend some more, without let or hindrance. Primarily in London, where she spent a lot of her time when they weren't getting on too well amid the relentless skirt-chasing. Most couples just sleep in separate beds, or one of them sleeps on the sofa, when that happens, but it's different when you're a monarch. Monarchs simply go to another country at great expense. Quite apart from the security, the flights, the accommodation etc. In this case, with her sister, because yes, sis was in on the permanent junket too.

During his years of kingliness, he was protected as the only person in the entire country who could get away with it, but oops, this card thing happened after his inglorious abdication, so the courts can look into it now. Realistically, that's all they'll do, though, look into it, do a bit of whitewashing, fudge the issue, and sweep it under the Spanish carpet. The very most we can expect is another short apology from JC, like the dismal one we got after news broke of the 2012 Botswana elephant-killing holiday with mistress in tow that went so terribly askew - "I'm sorry. I made a mistake. It won't happen again." Except apparently it did.
Collapse

expressisverbis
P.L.F.Persio

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2021 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2021 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2021 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Termsoektog
  • Werksgeleenthede
  • Forums
  • Multiple search