How to get Gmail Backup?
Thread poster: ariel martin
ariel martin
ariel martin
United States
Dec 19, 2019

Hi,
I want to get the backup of my Gmail accounts. I want to quit my job and I'm using 2 Gmail id for my official purpose so, having a few important data at my Gmail accounts. I don't have any idea how to get the backup of my Gmail accounts. If anyone having good idea for getting a Backup of Gmail accounts, please share as soon as possible.

Everett hall
watsonroger9 (X)
rhys smith (X)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ariel Dec 19, 2019

ariel martin wrote:
I want to get the backup of my Gmail accounts.

It is my understanding that you can use the "Download your data" feature:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/3024190?hl=en
although it may take a few days for them to create the download package.

You can also use an e-mail program to download all your Gmail mails:
https://support.google.com/mail/topic/7280141?hl=en&ref_topic=7280290
although when you use that method, you must make *absolutely sure* that the actual messages were downloaded and not just the subject lines. To do that, create a separate folder in your mail program's local folders, and then copy/paste all mails from the POP3 or IMAP Gmail folder in the mail program to the local folder. This will force the mail program to actually download the whole e-mails. You can do this with Thunderbird, for example. Note that you have to google for how to save mails from Thunderbird, because it aint 100% straight-forward.

Which e-mail program do you use on your computer?

watsonroger9 (X)

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Google Takeout Dec 19, 2019

https://takeout.google.com/settings/takeout?pli=1

watsonroger9 (X)

VIP9N
VIP9N
Local time: 08:41
Russian to English
+ ...
Using standard MS Outlook only Dec 20, 2019

ariel martin wrote:
...having a few important data at my Gmail accounts...

Hi Ariel,

I tried several ways when had faced that problem. None of them proved to be good enough. For example, this feature from Google - takeout, it kills codings in some letters, which are not purely western. Some letters in Cyrillic script turned to be unreadable and totally unrecoverable.

The other issue that you will face is the way and tool to be used to find a required letter, data or picture in the compiled and grabbed file. Actually, the content of your mailbox is a sort of database file that you will have to open and search.

The only way that I found in practice was to take some old notebook, install MS Outlook on it, and set all your accounts on different servers in that sole application. Upon one or two days of uninterrupted operation it will "suck out" the contents of all your mailboxes to that notebook. At the same time, Outlook itself is the best tool for viewing and finding the required message. Moreover, there are some good paid viewers, which can open Outlook files and allow you to see and search the contents.

Good luck

watsonroger9 (X)
talbot smith (X)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get Gmail Backup?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »