Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
New, more dense, list of KudoZ questions (Other info to include?)
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 01:14
SITE FOUNDER
Jan 28, 2020

A preference has been expressed for a dense display of information in the KudoZ question list, with information broken into columns. Try these:

Option 1 ("stack"): https://www.proz.com/kudoz?kver=new&use_stacktable=1... See more
A preference has been expressed for a dense display of information in the KudoZ question list, with information broken into columns. Try these:

Option 1 ("stack"): https://www.proz.com/kudoz?kver=new&use_stacktable=1
Option 2 ("grid"): https://www.proz.com/kudoz/?kver=new&use_grid=1

We hope that these revised versions do a better job of providing dense, structured display for desktop, while meeting the goal of keeping things simple on mobile. Let me know what you think.

In addition to the information shown in the traditional KudoZ question list, this experimental new list includes such things as the number of comments, the selected (or "leading") proposed answer, question status and more.

You can test by opening a browser on desktop, and shrinking the width of the browser down gradually, until you reach the minimum width.
Collapse

Yolanda Broad

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:14
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Screen after agreeing with an answer Jan 29, 2020

I like the look of it. It gets lots of information onto the screen and it's clear to see what's what.

The only problem I had may have been there for ever -- I have no idea. When I agreed with an answer way down on the screen, the page refreshed to show the top of the screen, with a bar at the top in a horridly bright bluey-green colour that said "OK". I'd really wanted to be back where I'd been, so that I could go on down the list of answers. It did seem a bit annoying to have to sc
... See more
I like the look of it. It gets lots of information onto the screen and it's clear to see what's what.

The only problem I had may have been there for ever -- I have no idea. When I agreed with an answer way down on the screen, the page refreshed to show the top of the screen, with a bar at the top in a horridly bright bluey-green colour that said "OK". I'd really wanted to be back where I'd been, so that I could go on down the list of answers. It did seem a bit annoying to have to scroll back down, find where I'd last been, and go on from there. I think there used to be a far more muted response, probably next to the agree, but I'm not sure.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
B D Finch
philgoddard

Lidija Klemencic
Lidija Klemencic
Serbia
Local time: 06:14
English to Serbian
+ ...
Great! Jan 30, 2020

I love it. This is the best improvement I've seen in a long time.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:14
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
“Leading” answer Jan 31, 2020

Why is there a “leading” answer in the list of KudoZ questions?
What determines which is the “leading” answer?

Alison MacG
Alison MacG  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
A definite improvement Jan 31, 2020

This is much better than the first attempt at a new interface. The nature of the KudoZ system is such that it requires an organised layout and this latest version makes everything clearer again.

Having said that, I will still continue to use the old desktop-friendly version for as long as it is still available. If only there were some way to resolve the issues with oversized fonts, excessive space between lines of text and wasted space in general forming part of mobile-friendly an
... See more
This is much better than the first attempt at a new interface. The nature of the KudoZ system is such that it requires an organised layout and this latest version makes everything clearer again.

Having said that, I will still continue to use the old desktop-friendly version for as long as it is still available. If only there were some way to resolve the issues with oversized fonts, excessive space between lines of text and wasted space in general forming part of mobile-friendly and responsive sites and so disliked by desktop users …

Henry Dotterer wrote:

In addition to the information shown in the traditional KudoZ question list, this experimental new list includes such things as … the selected (or "leading") proposed answer …

Like Michele, I too have a question about this. Could you perhaps explain the thinking behind it?

You refer to this as the KudoZ question list. Where is the added value in this list now including a partial preview of one of often several potential answers, especially when an answer can become the “leading” one because someone enters a confidence level of 5? Anyone interested in the question has to click on it anyway to find out more. Removing these proposed answers would allow more actual questions to be displayed on the screen. In the old system answers are not displayed until the question is closed and I think that makes more sense.
Collapse

Christel Zipfel
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
B D Finch

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Why we are showing a proposed answer Jan 31, 2020

Alison MacG wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

In addition to the information shown in the traditional KudoZ question list, this experimental new list includes such things as … the selected (or "leading") proposed answer …

Like Michele, I too have a question about this. Could you perhaps explain the thinking behind it?

The answer shown is the one that will be shown first in the summary of answers (on the page where you view one question). Sort is according to confidence + net agrees. (If anyone has better ideas for sorting, let me know.)

The idea to show the leading answer is mine. In general, I think more information is better. The leading proposal could help to disambiguate for answerers who are browsing the list. Just checking the list now, I see the term "Hot LUN". Seeing the proposed answer "Logical unit number" may help me to better judge whether or not I would have something to offer, or more generally, whether or not I want to visit that question.

What are the drawbacks, apart from layout, to showing a proposed answer? Is there a concern of biasing the process or something like that?

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Drawbacks Jan 31, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

What are the drawbacks, apart from layout, to showing a proposed answer? Is there a concern of biasing the process or something like that?

Possible bias, yes, similar to asking a “leading question”.

An incentive to choose an unwarranted high confidence level to become the leading answer.

On a positive note, the new layout looks great on my iPad.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Michele Feb 1, 2020

Michele Fauble wrote:

Thanks. Which of the two versions do you prefer?

Michele Fauble
United States
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Previous and new layout Feb 1, 2020

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Michele Fauble wrote:

Thanks. Which of the two versions do you prefer?

No preference at this time. Still using the previous layout out of habit.

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
No, Feb 1, 2020

I much prefer the older/original version.
In the older version you can see the alternatives and assess them faster, for example.

[Edited at 2020-02-01 21:53 GMT]

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Unnecessary and misleading Feb 2, 2020

Hi Henry,

I am sorry to disagree with your idea of establishing a leading answer for the following reasons:

1.- Right now the leading answer (or answers) is perfectly clear at first sight, at least in the older version.

2.- The proposed feature might encourage answerers to raise their confidence level in order to promote their answer. We already have too many thoughtless answers with high confidence levels.

3.- This “endorsement” by the si
... See more
Hi Henry,

I am sorry to disagree with your idea of establishing a leading answer for the following reasons:

1.- Right now the leading answer (or answers) is perfectly clear at first sight, at least in the older version.

2.- The proposed feature might encourage answerers to raise their confidence level in order to promote their answer. We already have too many thoughtless answers with high confidence levels.

3.- This “endorsement” by the site of a particular answer might influence both peers and askers – experience shows that a most voted answer is not necessarily the best –, deter other options and discourage discussion, one of the best features in KudoZ.

In short, I believe the site should not interfere with the KudoZ process.
Collapse

Daryo
Sheila Wilson
Michele Fauble
Daniela Zambrini
B D Finch
Josephine Cassar
philgoddard

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
The question concerns showing answers on the *list* page. (They are already sorted on the *view* pg) Feb 3, 2020

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:

It seems like you are talking about the page for viewing a single KudoZ question, rather than the page that shows the list of questions. Display of the leading answer has been added to the list page (in only the new interface).

Regarding sorting of proposed answers in the summary box, it is just as it has been for some years.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
My mistake Feb 3, 2020

Yes, I was talking about the view page, but objections 2 and 3 are valid for the general list.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Beatriz! Feb 3, 2020

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:

Yes, I was talking about the view page, but objections 2 and 3 are valid for the general list.

I would say that #2 has already played out; the motivation has already been there.
#3 is my concern, that's why I ask her. I tend to feel that the benefit of more information trumps the potential "endorsement" phenomenon (there is, after all, a question mark there). But I'll keep an open mind to further arguments or examples.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
The list of questions is now more dense on desktop (in the new interface) Feb 3, 2020

You will notice that the list of questions in the new interface is now more dense, at least when shown on desktop. Please let us know whether or not you consider this an improvement.

See: https://www.proz.com/kudoz?kver=new

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New, more dense, list of KudoZ questions (Other info to include?)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »