Portugal
Local time: 08:21
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Context is unclear or insufficient, Jun 4, 2020

Thomas Pfann wrote:

Yes, context is always required. If no context is provided the question cannot be answered. Simple as that. Anyone answering a context-less question without first asking for the missing context isn't helping the asker and, in my opinion, doesn't deserve the points.

or things become harder when the asker doesn't know what is translating, or doesn't have the appropriate experience in a certain field.

[Edited at 2020-06-04 17:07 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:21
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Yes, always context please Jun 4, 2020

That reminds me of:

- How many translators does it take to change a lamp bulb?
- It depends on the context

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Sebastian Witte
MollyRose

Marina Steinbach
Marina Steinbach
United States
Local time: 03:21
Member (2011)
English to German
Thanks for letting me know. Jun 4, 2020

Christine Andersen wrote:

When deciding how many points to award, please consider this scale as a guideline:

4: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, reference was provided (or not needed)
3: Answer was acceptable, explanation was good, but reference was lacking
2: Answer was acceptable
1: Answer was somewhat helpful

Thanks for letting me know. At least I know now why people have been giving me 1, 2, 3 and 4 points as a thank-you for my help...

Sabrina Bruna
expressisverbis

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Valuable hints and suggestions Jun 4, 2020

Sometimes two answerers give valuable hints and suggestions---answers that point you in the right direction toward your ultimate wording. Since you don't use them verbatim, it is not unusual for two people to help you equally, with neither providing your final answer. In such a case, it would make sense to divide the points.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 17:21
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Number of points Jun 4, 2020

I mostly use ''4'', however on a couple of occasions I used ''2'' or ''3'' when the answers were not 100% accurate but they were a good starting point for me and I was able to use them to find the right answer. I always mentioned it in the notes and thanked my colleagues for helping me out. I do not think people were offended. Likewise, I also received a couple of ''2''s, can't remember why, but most likely for the same reasons. However, if I saw someone misusing the system, I would have stopped... See more
I mostly use ''4'', however on a couple of occasions I used ''2'' or ''3'' when the answers were not 100% accurate but they were a good starting point for me and I was able to use them to find the right answer. I always mentioned it in the notes and thanked my colleagues for helping me out. I do not think people were offended. Likewise, I also received a couple of ''2''s, can't remember why, but most likely for the same reasons. However, if I saw someone misusing the system, I would have stopped helping them.Collapse

Kevin Fulton
expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Vanda, Jun 5, 2020

Vanda Nissen wrote:

I mostly use ''4'', however on a couple of occasions I used ''2'' or ''3'' when the answers were not 100% accurate but they were a good starting point for me and I was able to use them to find the right answer. I always mentioned it in the notes and thanked my colleagues for helping me out. I do not think people were offended. Likewise, I also received a couple of ''2''s, can't remember why, but most likely for the same reasons. However, if I saw someone misusing the system, I would have stopped helping them.

When someone gets a "thank you" and a score of 1, or 2, there is no reason to be offended, if properly justified, I agree with you.
Bombarding the forum with questions during a day, with no thanks, awarding a few points, and closing some of those questions without saying a single word (without revealing the term found), in my view, this can be very rude, and greedy.

Vanda Nissen
Josephine Cassar

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 09:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Anything goes Jun 7, 2020

Thomas Pfann wrote:

... Anyone answering a context-less question without first asking for the missing context isn't helping the asker and, in my opinion, doesn't deserve the points.

Anyone? Well,that's your opinion/Weltanschauung. However, I have a different attitude, because sometimes I will throw out a suggestion regardless of whether there is context given or not, as I think anything is better than nothing. It's akin to the method "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks". And I'm quite sure I have helped askers by doing so on more than one occasion. This doesn't mean that my suggestion was accepted as "correct" or awarded points, simply that it went some way towards helping the person clear up their doubts and queries, if only by ruling out my proposal.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May I add another «phenomenon»? Jun 8, 2020

It’s not new, but it has proliferated recently. I’m referring to people who give exactly the same answer as someone else. I know that every so often it’s a coincidence and it just means that one person was quicker than the other. Let’s be clear, this has happened to me several times before and in these cases I either delete my answer immediately or I let it stay if it brings something to the table. But I’m referring to answers given some time (even some days) after the first one. What�... See more
It’s not new, but it has proliferated recently. I’m referring to people who give exactly the same answer as someone else. I know that every so often it’s a coincidence and it just means that one person was quicker than the other. Let’s be clear, this has happened to me several times before and in these cases I either delete my answer immediately or I let it stay if it brings something to the table. But I’m referring to answers given some time (even some days) after the first one. What’s the point?

As an example:

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english-to-portuguese/construction-civil-engineering/6828071-turtle.html
Collapse

expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Christel Zipfel

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:21
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes, also to me Jun 8, 2020

Sabrina Bruna wrote:

It has happened to me more than once in my language pairs: 2 points and even 1 point, three times from the same asker, several questions still open after many months... I can't understand this behaviour either, I think it is not fair...

I see we share at least 1 pair, and there is also 1 recurring asker with 100 questions closed without grading.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Many "phenomena" Jun 8, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

It’s not new, but it has proliferated recently. I’m referring to people who give exactly the same answer as someone else. I know that every so often it’s a coincidence and it just means that one person was quicker than the other. Let’s be clear, this has happened to me several times before and in these cases I either delete my answer immediately or I let it stay if it brings something to the table. But I’m referring to answers given some time (even some days) after the first one. What’s the point?

As an example:

https://www.proz.com/kudoz/english-to-portuguese/construction-civil-engineering/6828071-turtle.html

Many phenomena happen quite often. People think this one happens because they are new members, but let's face it: this is a lame excuse.

Angie Garbarino

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Points again, but in "confidence level" Jun 10, 2020

During these years I have been in this forum, I always rate my own confidence level with a "3" on a scale of up to 5.
in my opinion, 5 shows a bit of arrogance, 4 is more modest, and 3 represents even more modesty just because I am not "the owner of the truth".
I am thinking about changing this, since I see non-native members coming up with suggestions not common or appropriate in professional translators, and grading themselves a 4 or 5.
This is one of the many phenomena I sad
... See more
During these years I have been in this forum, I always rate my own confidence level with a "3" on a scale of up to 5.
in my opinion, 5 shows a bit of arrogance, 4 is more modest, and 3 represents even more modesty just because I am not "the owner of the truth".
I am thinking about changing this, since I see non-native members coming up with suggestions not common or appropriate in professional translators, and grading themselves a 4 or 5.
This is one of the many phenomena I sadly keep seeing around the terminology forum.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of points awarded

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »