Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Why must I wait 24 hours before grading/closing a question?
Thread poster: kd42
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:14
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Each to their own Nov 5, 2020

kd42 wrote:

Why do you think I don't like Kudoz?

Obviously you have your own valid reasons, and you can easily ignore KudoZ as suggested.

P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 18:14
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Stop thinking up weird stuff, girls Nov 5, 2020

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro wrote:
kd42 wrote:
Why do you think I don't like Kudoz?

Obviously you have your own valid reasons, and you can easily ignore KudoZ as suggested.

I don't think you can explain how you arrived at this [wrong] conclusion.

I have asked a question recently, got 5 answers, one answer was ideal. I had to wait 24 hours, then come back and grade the answer in order to prevent the "collective mind of Proz" or some badly-coded script from assigning another answer as the best one. This is inconvenient and illogical.

This is on top of my work schedule, family stuff, Covid and so on.

I do not understand why so many people slip to off-topic or attributing invented stuff to me. Are you able to stay on topic?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 15:14
Japanese to English
Not really seeing the problem here Nov 7, 2020

neilmac wrote:
Another point could be that you don't actually "have to" come back after 24 hours to grade the query. Some posters vanish as if by magic, never to be seen again.

Very good point. Let's call the police and have them find the evil person who is forcing kd42 to come back the next day so we can make them stop.

P.L.F. Persio

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Having to come back after 24 hours or more is not unreasonable Nov 7, 2020

kd42 wrote:

I have asked a question recently, got 5 answers, one answer was ideal. I had to wait 24 hours, then come back and grade the answer

This is on top of my work schedule, family stuff, Covid and so on.

[/quote]

You had a problem, you got it solved, even with an "ideal" answer. Think of how much time it may have cost who answered your question to find it.
Everyone has his/her work, family, Covid restrictions/problems and so on.
The only thing you are supposed to do after having asked a question is possibly to grade the answer and close it.
So why do you complain?
If coming back to close your question seems too much of a hassle to you you should better try to find the answer yourself.

expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Sheila Wilson
Vanda Nissen
P.L.F. Persio

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 16:14
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's not really off the topic, but Nov 7, 2020

there's a non-paying member who closes Kudoz questions very easily, within a matter of minutes.
I have never seen this before, and I have already asked to one member of the staff what could be happening.
A bug?
I don't know if they have already fixed it...
Anyway, I always wait more than 24 hours to close a question with or without awarding points. I see no problem with that.
The only thing I find unreasonable is leaving the question opened or closed with no explan
... See more
there's a non-paying member who closes Kudoz questions very easily, within a matter of minutes.
I have never seen this before, and I have already asked to one member of the staff what could be happening.
A bug?
I don't know if they have already fixed it...
Anyway, I always wait more than 24 hours to close a question with or without awarding points. I see no problem with that.
The only thing I find unreasonable is leaving the question opened or closed with no explanation or appreciation at all to members who kindly used their time and efforts to answer and help.
When answers don't suit, I always make an entry in the discussion area revealing what I have found as an alternative suggestion/translation along with my thanks.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christopher Schröder
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Philip Lees
Sheila Wilson
Angie Garbarino

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
There is even an option to 'let the community decide' Nov 7, 2020

I personally think the 'Let the community decide' option is for wimps, and that the least an asker can do is give others time to search for an answer, and then thank those who tried. But I know there can be all sorts of reasons for thinking otherwise. Those who choose that option can then ignore the question without telling anyone how they solved the problem.

The rule was in fact introduced for the sake of the glossary, because Kudoz became a race to answer first and get the points
... See more
I personally think the 'Let the community decide' option is for wimps, and that the least an asker can do is give others time to search for an answer, and then thank those who tried. But I know there can be all sorts of reasons for thinking otherwise. Those who choose that option can then ignore the question without telling anyone how they solved the problem.

The rule was in fact introduced for the sake of the glossary, because Kudoz became a race to answer first and get the points, which meant that the valuable discussion and alternative suggestions were not appearing, and the answers that did appear were clearly not optimal in some cases.

When I said 'if you don't like KudoZ, ignore it', it was not meant as criticism. Constructive discussion and suggestions may be a way to get improvements, but you may simply be told that the majority prefer things as they are.
(Which is what happens with most suggestions about KudoZ.) Live with it and enjoy it if you can, but life is too short to get upset about it!
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Christel Zipfel
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis
Philip Lees
Sheila Wilson

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
1 minute + comments Nov 7, 2020

Christel Zipfel wrote:
You had a problem, you got it solved, even with an "ideal" answer. Think of how much time it may have cost who answered your question to find it.
1 minute or so, plus additional comments, you can get in touch with the man and ask.

Christel Zipfel wrote:
So why do you complain?

I don't.

Christel Zipfel wrote:
If coming back to close your question seems too much of a hassle to you you should better try to find the answer yourself.
I mostly do so.
There are some areas where I rely on En-Ru community of Proz, but these are limited because the community is shrinking.
When I research and find the answers to the toughest challenges in the En-Ru pair ("toughest" simply because I translate the cutting edge technology most of the time, where Ru terms barely exist), I put my terms on Multitran.ru where there's no ranking, no quarrels, no forum insults like here, but a very convenient interface. If you get my point.

If some people here think that I do not see their inexplicable hostility, this is a vain hope. I do, and I wish you to get rid of it.

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The power of the informed opinion Nov 8, 2020

kd42 wrote:

If some people here think that I do not see their inexplicable hostility, this is a vain hope. I do, and I wish you to get rid of it.

Wow. While you are at it, have you looked at your own comments?

According to your profile, you have asked 12 and answered 19 KudoZ questions. Most people who offered explanation in this thread have much more experience with KudoZ, including the history of how it evolved, and related discussions and decisions in the past. (By the way, past discussions are all available in the Forum area, there is a Search function.)

So, in your initial post, you could have simply asked why this rule was in place, and wait for an explanation. Instead, you immediately stated it was "silly", and that it "does more harm than good".

In my experience, collecting relevant information before forming and sharing an opinion in public is a wise habit, and it leads to better discussions.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Vanda Nissen
Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Sheila Wilson
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I agree, kind of Nov 9, 2020

Years ago, when I was only an occasional visitor, I found it mildly irritating having to remember to come back a day later, after I’d moved on to a different job, to choose the obviously correct answer that was provided and used within 5 minutes.

In most cases, there is no “even more correct” answer that can possibly come in from Australia after 14 hours.

Even though I was young and bolshie, the irritation was very mild, as I could see that it was a small price to
... See more
Years ago, when I was only an occasional visitor, I found it mildly irritating having to remember to come back a day later, after I’d moved on to a different job, to choose the obviously correct answer that was provided and used within 5 minutes.

In most cases, there is no “even more correct” answer that can possibly come in from Australia after 14 hours.

Even though I was young and bolshie, the irritation was very mild, as I could see that it was a small price to pay for other people giving more of their time than that to try to help.
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Christine Andersen
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Daryo

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Please, explain it to me Nov 9, 2020

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:
kd42 wrote:
Wow. While you are at it, have you looked at your own comments?

According to your profile, you have asked 12 and answered 19 KudoZ questions. Most people who offered explanation in this thread have much more experience with KudoZ, including the history of how it evolved, and related discussions and decisions in the past. (By the way, past discussions are all available in the Forum area, there is a Search function.)

So, in your initial post, you could have simply asked why this rule was in place, and wait for an explanation. Instead, you immediately stated it was "silly", and that it "does more harm than good".

In my experience, collecting relevant information before forming and sharing an opinion in public is a wise habit, and it leads to better discussions.
Thank you.

Your logic is flawed. It is not necessary to have lunch at the same cafe for 7 years to be able to notice rotten food or a dirty table.

Please, kindly explain it to me and the other participants why this rule is in place. (I suspect that nobody here knows it.)

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:14
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy Nov 9, 2020

Hello everyone,

The mechanism in question is explained on FAQ 2.20 - Can I grade my question less than 24 hours after posting it?. Note that if you don't wish to return to the question to close it after 24 hours, you can record your preferred answer and that will be taken into consideration when the question is graded.

I wanted to take the opportunity the remind everyone that site users are expected to trea
... See more
Hello everyone,

The mechanism in question is explained on FAQ 2.20 - Can I grade my question less than 24 hours after posting it?. Note that if you don't wish to return to the question to close it after 24 hours, you can record your preferred answer and that will be taken into consideration when the question is graded.

I wanted to take the opportunity the remind everyone that site users are expected to treat each other with courtesy and are advised to act under the assumption of good faith, as stated by general site rule #2, https://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2 . Please keep this in mind whether posting on the forums or making direct contact.

Thank you.
Alejandro
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Sheila Wilson
Daryo
Jean Dimitriadis

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
What is the logic behind it? Nov 9, 2020

Alejandro Cavalitto wrote:
Thanks, Alejandro.
What you explained is evident from the dialogue boxes in Kudoz.
Question 1: What if I don't want to wait 24 hours and to leave grading to the "community"?
Question 2: What is the original logic behind this rule?

Alejandro Cavalitto
Alejandro Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 12:14
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Site rules aim to encourage and protect productive interactions in a pleasant atmosphere Nov 10, 2020

Hello kd24,

As stated in https://www.proz.com/faq/5449#5449 --and in the dialogue boxes in KudoZ-- you have the option to either wait until 24 hours have elapsed to grade the question, or select your preferred term but leave the closing decision to the community. Those are the only available options.

The logic behind this rule has been explained in this thread by other member
... See more
Hello kd24,

As stated in https://www.proz.com/faq/5449#5449 --and in the dialogue boxes in KudoZ-- you have the option to either wait until 24 hours have elapsed to grade the question, or select your preferred term but leave the closing decision to the community. Those are the only available options.

The logic behind this rule has been explained in this thread by other members of the community. Site rules are the result of many years of work devoted to making participation in ProZ.com as pleasant and productive as possible, and are based on experience. This rule is no exception.

Hope this explains! Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best regards,
Alejandro
Collapse

Michele Fauble

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
I still don't see the logic Nov 10, 2020

The logic behind this rule has been explained in this thread by other members of the community.
Please kindly provide a link to the post with the explanation.

Site rules are the result of many years of work devoted to making participation in ProZ.com as pleasant and productive as possible, and are based on experience. This rule is no exception.
Hope this explains! Please let me know if you have any questions.
Best regards,
Alejandro
You do not sound convincing to me. Please forgive my straightforward comparison it is honest -- this echoed the [seemingly] long-forgotten explanations back in the USSR that "one-party system has historically established itself in a natural manner".

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why must I wait 24 hours before grading/closing a question?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »