Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
What constitutes misuse of the Kudos feature?
Thread poster: matt robinson
matt robinson
matt robinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:59
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Another example posted just half an hour ago Dec 28, 2020

Spanish term or phrase: las tropas eran transportadas en camiones sellados
Hola. ¿Cómo se traduce camiones sellados por favor ? Gracias.

los submarinos que tienen allí, querían tomar el trabajo de Dios en sus manos . pero Dios . Dios ha detenido la mano de aquellos que han blasfemado . tienen miles de tropas de otros países en puerto rico ahora mismo. tienen tropa de rusia, china, alemania, francia, y otros lugares . llegaron durante mucho tiempo en las horas de la madrug
... See more
Spanish term or phrase: las tropas eran transportadas en camiones sellados
Hola. ¿Cómo se traduce camiones sellados por favor ? Gracias.

los submarinos que tienen allí, querían tomar el trabajo de Dios en sus manos . pero Dios . Dios ha detenido la mano de aquellos que han blasfemado . tienen miles de tropas de otros países en puerto rico ahora mismo. tienen tropa de rusia, china, alemania, francia, y otros lugares . llegaron durante mucho tiempo en las horas de la madrugada, para que el pueblo no las viera . ** las tropas eran transportadas en camiones cerrados , sellados, hacia las montañas . ** se hacen muchos bunkers, se construyen muchos refugios . ** supuestamente son tropas especializadas en desastres . **

the submarines they have there, they wanted to take God's work into their hands . but God . God has stopped the hand of those who have blasphemed . they have thousands of troops from other countries in puerto rico right now . they have troops from russia, china, germany, france, and other places . they came for a long time in the early morning hours, so that the people would not see them . ** the troops were transported in closed, sealed trucks to the mountains ** . many bunkers are made, many shelters are built . ** supposedly they are troops specialized in disasters . **

las tropas eran transportadas en camiones cerrados , sellados, hacia las montañas .

the troops were transported in closed, wagons shut to the mountains
the troops were transported in closed, watertight trucks to the mountains
the troops were transported in closed, sealing trucks to the mountains
the troops were transported in closed, sealed trucks to the mountains
Collapse

Juan Jacob
philgoddard
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 05:59
French to Spanish
+ ...
Agree. Dec 28, 2020

Misuse and abuse, should I say. Also reported by me.
I don't see his/her questions posted today anymore.
Good thing.

philgoddard
neilmac

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
@ Juan Jacob Dec 28, 2020

The asker submitted several questions this afternoon, which were all removed for breaching site rules. In the majority of cases the reason given has been: Unprofessional; lacks literary/technical merit.
I was asked to provide feedback to the site staff regarding my support request, and at that time (just after a question was posted at around 17:00 CET) I was not sure how the situation was going to pan out, but it seems that action has now been taken to deal with the misuse (and in all pro
... See more
The asker submitted several questions this afternoon, which were all removed for breaching site rules. In the majority of cases the reason given has been: Unprofessional; lacks literary/technical merit.
I was asked to provide feedback to the site staff regarding my support request, and at that time (just after a question was posted at around 17:00 CET) I was not sure how the situation was going to pan out, but it seems that action has now been taken to deal with the misuse (and in all probability abuse, as you said).

[Edited at 2020-12-28 20:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-28 20:18 GMT]
Collapse

Juan Jacob
Anna Zablotni
philgoddard

Juan Jacob
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
@ matt Dec 28, 2020

Glad. The situation was going for weeks and weeks.
Thanks for your intervention.

writeaway
Yvonne Gallagher

Jennifer White
Jennifer White  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:59
French to English
+ ...
@Matt Dec 28, 2020

Thanks for your efforts. However, how do the site staff intend to deal with this? Deleting four questions is not dealing with the problem. I don't think the response to this is good enough, and I hope you persevere until you are assured that no further questions of this type will be posted.

Rachel Fell
writeaway
philgoddard
neilmac
Yvonne Gallagher
P.L.F. Persio

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well done Matt! Dec 28, 2020

And we must extend our thanks to our other colleagues who have also reported this.

This type of KudoZ abuse tends to drag on until some regular users take direct action.

In my experience from previous cases, the asker will probably try again, but this should be the beginning of the end.

[Edited at 2020-12-28 23:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-28 23:34 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-29 11:18 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-12-29 17:06 GMT]

Juan Jacob
matt robinson
Robert Forstag
Zibow Retailleau
philgoddard
P.L.F. Persio
neilmac

Juan Jacob
Mexico
French to Spanish
+ ...
@ Jennifer Dec 29, 2020

There is obviously a "banned" option for this kind a people.

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
I don't think they have a hidden motive Dec 29, 2020

I took a look at the asker's profile, they say they want to learn both English and Spanish. They might have found a book to translate for free on Babelcube or something of the kind, and since they are translating from a foreign language to another they need a lot of help.

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Elena Feriani Dec 29, 2020

Yeah, I didn't want to go down the route of objecting to the content, although it would be a strange choice of text to use to learn two foreign languages simultaneously (as would any text).
Even if the motives of the asker were genuine, I still feel it was a misuse of the site feature. As I understand it, the site is for professional translators, and the Kudos feature is to enable professional translators to ask their peers for help with translation problems in their language pairs.
... See more
Yeah, I didn't want to go down the route of objecting to the content, although it would be a strange choice of text to use to learn two foreign languages simultaneously (as would any text).
Even if the motives of the asker were genuine, I still feel it was a misuse of the site feature. As I understand it, the site is for professional translators, and the Kudos feature is to enable professional translators to ask their peers for help with translation problems in their language pairs.
There are dedicated online resources to help with language learning, and I suggested some of those to the asker in an earlier thread. I received no reply. Trying to learn two languages in this way seems like an almost insurmountable task. Jean-François Champollion would be proud!
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Elena Feriani
Christel Zipfel
Juan Jacob
philgoddard
P.L.F. Persio
Jennifer White

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Where were the moderators? Dec 29, 2020

No fewer than five persons are assigned to moderate Spanish-to-English Kudoz questions. The problem discussed here has been going on for some time.

One wonders why it took the issuing of a support ticket and multiple forum posts for action to finally be taken.

[Edited at 2020-12-29 12:19 GMT]

Jennifer White
philgoddard
writeaway
Yvonne Gallagher
Rachel Fell
Christel Zipfel

matt robinson
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
@Robert Forstag Dec 29, 2020

I'm not sure where the line is drawn with respect to the role of moderators and their powers. I might have expected the moderators to send the issue up the line, as it were, but as I said, I don't really know enough about their responsibilities. In the end it was Sheila Wilson who indicated the path to go down in order to get some kind of response. I think this type of issue, unclear and a bit delicate, would in any event need to be dealt with by site staff.

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Matt Dec 30, 2020

I'm a KudoZ editor, so I can delete questions, but I never noticed one of the reasons was "Unprofessional; lacks literary/technical merit." Thanks for pointing this out. I shall use it in future, as it's a perfect description of the asker and her questions.

For those not familiar with her, she believes that "barack", as she calls him, is the Antichrist and will get his head blown off. Gays are sodomites who will go to hell.

[Edited at 2020-12-30 12:53 GMT]

P.L.F. Persio
Robert Forstag
neilmac
Barbara Carrara

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
I see Dec 30, 2020

philgoddard wrote:

For those not familiar with her, she believes that "barack", as she calls him, is the Antichrist and will get his head blown off. Gays are sodomites who will go to hell.

Thank you for clarifying that!

philgoddard

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hallelujah! Jan 2, 2021

philgoddard wrote:
For those not familiar with her, she believes that ...who will go to hell.

[Edited at 2020-12-30 12:53 GMT]

For some reason, I always thought the poster was male and was using someone else's computer or a pseudonym. I found the content so repellent I stopped trying to help them weeks ago.

Wishing you all the best for 2021!

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
P.L.F. Persio
expressisverbis
Rachel Fell

kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 13:59
English to Russian
Many consecutive questions from different fields - what's that? Feb 8, 2021

It is easier to see how a child grows if you meet once a year.

I use Kudoz very seldom. I don't like its development trend.

Today I visited Proz to ask a question and saw a sequence of questions, asked by the same person, a paying member, from varying fields.

Most of the questions are elementary, a translation professional will never ask them. (This website's name is Proz, I remind you.)
It is absolutely impossible for one person to work on so many su
... See more
It is easier to see how a child grows if you meet once a year.

I use Kudoz very seldom. I don't like its development trend.

Today I visited Proz to ask a question and saw a sequence of questions, asked by the same person, a paying member, from varying fields.

Most of the questions are elementary, a translation professional will never ask them. (This website's name is Proz, I remind you.)
It is absolutely impossible for one person to work on so many such different jobs at the same time.

What comes to mind is that an agency poses as a freelancer and the agency frontman collects the questions from semi-literate students and posts them on Kudoz. A translation professional knows well which ethic and business principles are violated here.

Another thing is that Kudoz points hunters are all very happy to reply to these questions, instead of ignoring or reporting them, and they even include Proz moderators.

This is not healthy.

My 2 rupees.
Collapse

Rachel Fell

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What constitutes misuse of the Kudos feature?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »