Claire Ziamandanis
Claire Ziamandanis  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:47
Member (2016)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2018

I was recently contacted to quote translation of documents from English to Spanish for a client looking to apply for Spanish citizenship through the recent changes there, allowing people of Sephardic descent to request citizenship. I am ATA certified Spanish > English, but the bulk of my work is English > Spanish. (Hoping to add that certification this year.) Even prior to getting the ATA certification, I translated legal documents (birth certificates, etc.), providing notarization of them wh... See more
I was recently contacted to quote translation of documents from English to Spanish for a client looking to apply for Spanish citizenship through the recent changes there, allowing people of Sephardic descent to request citizenship. I am ATA certified Spanish > English, but the bulk of my work is English > Spanish. (Hoping to add that certification this year.) Even prior to getting the ATA certification, I translated legal documents (birth certificates, etc.), providing notarization of them when necessary.

Has anyone worked with this process in Spain? The official line is that translations have to be completed by a "sworn translator", and in some instances, must get an apostille, also. I was able to find this information linked through a government website:

I.6 Traducción.
Los documentos deberán estar traducidos al español. Son válidas las traduc- ciones efectuadas por un Intérprete Jurado autorizado por el Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores y de Cooperación (están exentas de legalización por modificación del artículo 13 del Real Decreto 2555/1977, de 27 de agosto, por el que se aprueba el reglamento de la Oficina de Lenguas del Ministerio de Asuntos Exteriores), las traducciones hechas o revisadas por la Representación diplomática o consular de España en el extranjero o las efectuadas por la Representación diplomática o con- sular en España del país que ha expedido el documento (estas últimas deberán ser legalizadas posteriormente por el Ministerio de Asuntos y de Cooperación para ser presentadas ante la Administración en España). Serán igualmente válidas las traducciones locales realizadas en el país de origen o residencia del interesado, aunque para que puedan surtir efectos en España tendrán que estar debidamente legalizadas o apostilladas.

The last sentence implies that by notarizing and/or providing apostilles, I should be good, correct?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 00:47
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Might be of interest... Apr 1, 2018

http://www.economistjurist.es/articulos-juridicos-destacados/nacionalizacion-espanola-de-sefardies/?utm_source=boletin_semanal&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20151005

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Traductores jurados de España Apr 2, 2018

Being a government-licensed sworn translator in Brazil, I happen to know that in Spain the situation is similar to ours here.

The Brazilian law on this matter dates from 1943, and has never been updated/amended.
The Spanish law dates from the 1600 and has been updated.

The major differences between the two countries regarding sworn translators are:

BRAZIL: Sworn translators must be Brazilian citizens, and must reside - in order to operate as such - wi
... See more
Being a government-licensed sworn translator in Brazil, I happen to know that in Spain the situation is similar to ours here.

The Brazilian law on this matter dates from 1943, and has never been updated/amended.
The Spanish law dates from the 1600 and has been updated.

The major differences between the two countries regarding sworn translators are:

BRAZIL: Sworn translators must be Brazilian citizens, and must reside - in order to operate as such - within the Brazilian territory.
SPAIN: Sworn translators must have any EU citizenship, and may operate anywhere they want to.

I happen to know that there is (at least) one sworn translator licensed by both Brazil and Spain, located in Brazil. She wouldn't be able to use her Brazilian status if she moved to Spain.

BRAZIL: Rates are statutory, statewide.
SPAIN: Rates are not regulated.

Bottom line is that neither of these two countries accept sworn/certified translations done by translators that are not licensed as sworn by each one's own government for any legal or official purpose. They don't accept each other's sworn translations.

I've tried to put together as much info as I could on the Brazilian setup at http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/sworn-translation.html . I wouldn't know where to find the Spanish one. Maybe you could get more info by posting on the Spanish forum here on Proz.

[Edited at 2018-04-03 09:47 GMT]
Collapse

Curri Barcelo Avila
Curri Barcelo Avila  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:47
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
With your sworn translation won't be enough Apr 3, 2018

Being a Spanish Sworn translator from the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs I have to agree with José Henrique. As fas as I am concerned, only Sworn translators appointed by the Spanish Ministry can sworn translations to be presented to Spanish authorities. The Apostille is compulsory so with the Apostille for you will not be enough. What the text you showed says is that the document can be sworn by other than a sworn translator appointed by the Spanish Ministry, but then it was to go through... See more
Being a Spanish Sworn translator from the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs I have to agree with José Henrique. As fas as I am concerned, only Sworn translators appointed by the Spanish Ministry can sworn translations to be presented to Spanish authorities. The Apostille is compulsory so with the Apostille for you will not be enough. What the text you showed says is that the document can be sworn by other than a sworn translator appointed by the Spanish Ministry, but then it was to go through the Spanish consulate in your country, who have to revise it (basically, you have to pay them to do like a notary), or they can be done (translated and certified/sworn) by the consulate where the document was issued (so, I suppose, in this case, your client's country). The last sentence comes to say basically the same: they can be done in the country where the person comes from or resides (so, done by a sworn translator that hasn't been appointed by the Spanish Ministry), but they need to be properly legalized, i.e. through the Spanish consulate or embassy. I remember having to do this once in the UK (because I wasn't allowed to sworn my own documents, or so I was told), and they wanted to charge me 40 or 50 GBP just for the stamp. The translation + stamp was more expensive, so I decided to send it to a colleague or mine.

So, I think it would be easier for your client to find a Sworn translator appointed by the Spanish Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Otherwise, the process may get too complicated (and expensive).

I hope this helped.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Sephardic right to citizenship in Spain - "traductor jurado"

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »