Thread poster: Deniss Gamezo
Deniss Gamezo
Deniss Gamezo  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:57
English to Russian
+ ...
Jun 3, 2020

How are Latvian names usually transliterated into US English in documents? Or any other names spelled in Latin alphabet with diacritic markings.

Common practice is to write the same letters without diacritics, I believe, but do you ever mention the original name? The question is specifically about the legal domain. I feel the original name should be mentioned to avoid possible legal issues. Would it be appropriate to put it in paretheses or will the tranliterated version suffice?

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:57
English to Spanish
+ ...
Safest Jun 3, 2020

It would not hurt to put the actual name and then, in parentheses, the transliteration of it.

Sebastian Witte
Josephine Cassar

Viesturs Lacis
Viesturs Lacis  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Latvian
No uniform practice Jun 4, 2020

FWIW, the indictment of Deniss Čalovskis (PDF) used the native form of his name only.

Deniss Gamezo
Deniss Gamezo  Identity Verified
Latvia
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jun 4, 2020

Thanks for the replies. And thank you, Viesturs, for the link. I think I will keep the diacritics.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
@Deniss Jun 4, 2020

Also note that sometimes different OS and especially printer setting prevent others from seeing it properly, so embedded fonts come to the rescue. Or just saving a copy as a 600dpi .PNG would do.

Deniss Gamezo

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Transliteration of foreign names into English

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »