Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Aug 6, 2015

Since upgrading to memoQ 2015 build 52, I've been getting a "General error" just after opening a project. Thanks to the new feature of sending error reports to Kilgray at the push of a button, I've already reported this many times, but I still haven't seen any new build or hotfix.

Can you please comment if you are getting this too? Or is it only me? General errors seem to be the only kind of errors thrown by memoQ, so I can't be any more specific or any wiser with regard to what is
... See more
Since upgrading to memoQ 2015 build 52, I've been getting a "General error" just after opening a project. Thanks to the new feature of sending error reports to Kilgray at the push of a button, I've already reported this many times, but I still haven't seen any new build or hotfix.

Can you please comment if you are getting this too? Or is it only me? General errors seem to be the only kind of errors thrown by memoQ, so I can't be any more specific or any wiser with regard to what is causing this particular error.
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:13
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Me too Aug 6, 2015

I have been getting the same General Error on opening a project, and also the Send Report checkbox. Strangely, the error doesn't seem to have any actual effect on the operation, so I just close it and go to work. I assume something in the startup procedure is happening in the wrong order. MemoQ brings out fixes and patches fairly frequently so I have assumed they know about it and will fix it automatically soon.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:13
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What's the point of a "general error"? Aug 6, 2015

Yes, it seems to not hinder normal operation. But why throw a "general error"? What does it mean? I am not a programmer, but I think this is poor programming practice. Error messages are supposed to be helpful to the user.

And since it seems to not affect operation, why not report it to Kilgray in the background and save the user from yet another annoying dialog box? There is already a plethora of them in memoQ, even where there is a much better alternative (for example, when confi
... See more
Yes, it seems to not hinder normal operation. But why throw a "general error"? What does it mean? I am not a programmer, but I think this is poor programming practice. Error messages are supposed to be helpful to the user.

And since it seems to not affect operation, why not report it to Kilgray in the background and save the user from yet another annoying dialog box? There is already a plethora of them in memoQ, even where there is a much better alternative (for example, when confirming more than one segments, why show a dialog box with the progress instead of showing the progress in the status bar?).
Collapse

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 10:13
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Relatively bug free Aug 6, 2015

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:
Error messages are supposed to be helpful to the user.

Actually, error messages are primarily intended to be helpful to the programmer, to track down bugs. With continuous development, bugs are bound to occur.

IMO, memoQ is relatively bug-free compared to many other major applications.

Since it has very little effect on my work, this particular bug is not one that concerns me very much.

Andrei Shmatkov
Andrei Shmatkov  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:13
English to Russian
+ ...
will be fixed in the next build Aug 6, 2015

I received the following reply from the support team regarding this error:

"We are already aware of this behavior, which happens every time if you open a project. It's a bug in the latest build (7.8.52), which is already fixed and will be released in the next build.
You can keep working if you see this - just close it, it does not affect your project."

Jose Ruivo
Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:13
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too Oct 9, 2020

Hello,

I am using version 9.5, and right now I can not open a project I was working on just a couple of minutes ago. I had to close it, and now when I try to open it I get numerous consecutive "General error" message windows, until I finally kill the program in Windows task manager.

I have already created a ticket for memoq support for similar "general error" windows a few days ago, I was asked if my windows installation was updated, and after my reply saying (and showi
... See more
Hello,

I am using version 9.5, and right now I can not open a project I was working on just a couple of minutes ago. I had to close it, and now when I try to open it I get numerous consecutive "General error" message windows, until I finally kill the program in Windows task manager.

I have already created a ticket for memoq support for similar "general error" windows a few days ago, I was asked if my windows installation was updated, and after my reply saying (and showing) it is, I never heard from memoq support again.

The problem I am having today happened yesterday too, and I solved it be deleting the project and checking it out again from the client's memoq server, but right now the server is not working, and my client is in a different time zone...

Any sugestions, please?

Thank you,
José Ruivo

PS -I 've already gone through deleting several possibly corrupt files and restarting memoq, but that did not solve anything
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

General error upon opening every single project

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »