MemoQ 8.+ performance - scrolling up and down oh so tortuously slow
Thread poster: Georgios Tziakos
SpecializedTR
SpecializedTR  Identity Verified
South Korea
Korean to English
+ ...
Any other solutions? Dec 19, 2020

I am exactly having the same issue and it's getting worse, even missing a few letters while typing fast offline. Kilgray simply stands at "It's yours, not ours. It works fine at our computer." My laptop performance has no issue - i7, 16G memory, and at the end of a page, one scroll down brings more than 1 second of freezing, making typing, clicking, etc. disabled in 9.5, and two or more down eventually stop me working. I followed and tried all the advice in this thread but to no use. Anyone happ... See more
I am exactly having the same issue and it's getting worse, even missing a few letters while typing fast offline. Kilgray simply stands at "It's yours, not ours. It works fine at our computer." My laptop performance has no issue - i7, 16G memory, and at the end of a page, one scroll down brings more than 1 second of freezing, making typing, clicking, etc. disabled in 9.5, and two or more down eventually stop me working. I followed and tried all the advice in this thread but to no use. Anyone happens to find any alternatives, please help to share.Thank you.Collapse

Isabelle Derson
Edward Bradburn

Edward Bradburn
Edward Bradburn
Germany
Local time: 09:36
German to English
+ ...
Slow because it's simply not a focus for memoQ devs Jun 2, 2021

I'm not really sure what the memoQ devs are working on, but it certainly isn't the UI, which looks identical to 2015 or before.

It's incredibly slow and I find myself regularly muttering abuse at the screen as it struggles with the simplest of things such as inserting a single word from the termbank - which is typically typed out letter by letter until memoQ finally manages to fill it in.

Anyway, with the increasing dominance of cloud and cross-platform stuff I shall be
... See more
I'm not really sure what the memoQ devs are working on, but it certainly isn't the UI, which looks identical to 2015 or before.

It's incredibly slow and I find myself regularly muttering abuse at the screen as it struggles with the simplest of things such as inserting a single word from the termbank - which is typically typed out letter by letter until memoQ finally manages to fill it in.

Anyway, with the increasing dominance of cloud and cross-platform stuff I shall be looking at another solution as my day-to-day translation workhorse and only dipping into memoQ (and TRADOS, for that matter, which must have the worst UI for term checking in the known universe, second only to memoQ of course) now and then when I need to.

Maybe Memsource is a good option, or OmegaT, I don't know.

But a tool that doesn't polish the UI until it is perfect isn't worth having.
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros

Georgios Tziakos
Georgios Tziakos  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a pity because offline tools allow for the best sort of productivity, in general Jun 2, 2021

That's right, Edward.

The biggest tragedy as far as I am concerned is that desktop versions of CAT tools *do* have the best available potential for maximizing productivity. People who type very fast and have mastered certain types of translation can handle large wordcounts at an excellent pace using these tools. So far, only offline tools have managed to keep up with my speed. XTM is a good example of how online translation tools fail horribly at this, since the UI is so bad that i
... See more
That's right, Edward.

The biggest tragedy as far as I am concerned is that desktop versions of CAT tools *do* have the best available potential for maximizing productivity. People who type very fast and have mastered certain types of translation can handle large wordcounts at an excellent pace using these tools. So far, only offline tools have managed to keep up with my speed. XTM is a good example of how online translation tools fail horribly at this, since the UI is so bad that it starts missing out on letters I type on my keyboard, it does not let you select a tag without selecting the text next to it, there's mini-lag for almost everything you do, the shortcuts are absolutely lacking and counter-intuitive, there is no undo function (!!!!!!) and many many more horrific issues, many of which are also found in other online platforms. This is one thing that you didn't need to worry about with MemoQ or Studio until a few years ago.

Maybe it's because Kilgray's and SDL's profits have been dropping sharply as these online platforms become the preferred tool of agencies/PMs (because they are obviously catering to them, and not the translators) that they have recently given up on improving their tools' performance and actually they've been making them slower. I cannot think of any other explanation.

I work on Smartling, Smartcat, CrowdIn, XTM, and many others, including the proprietary tools of various Tech Giants. None of those tools offer a fast, responsive, accurate typing that can even compete with that of Microsoft Word. But still, if MemoQ or Trados don't clean up their act somehow, I think their products are just heading for a cliff edge (although SDL probably doesn't give a flying rat's ass since it actually has other business besides Trados Studio). The only one who always loses because of all this is really us, the translators/editors, the ones who actually use the main part of the tool itself, instead of just assigning and managing projects. I am not saying that the latter part is not important or that it cannot get complicated sometimes - but at the end of the day, even if you want to see it from a completely functional perspective, many more work hours go into translating a task in 10 or 20 or even 30 language pairs, than its management, and it is completely unacceptable that translation editor UIs have been becoming less and less a priority as time goes by. I assume that since we are forced to use whatever tools our clients throw at us, there's no longer any pressure/competition for any CAT tool creator to improve their tools.

[Edited at 2021-06-02 18:27 GMT]
Collapse

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Maybe upgrade? Jun 4, 2021

MemoQ 9.7 is decently nimble on an ancient i5 laptop from, like, 2013-ish, with a bunch of other junk running in the background (20 Word docs and ~100 open browser tabs)

The only slowdowns it experiences is occasional stutters on autosuggests when typing changes into single humongous segments (like half a page of text or more of something highly formulaic that has multiple TM matches)

[Edited at 2021-06-04 22:23 GMT]

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 09:36
English to German
+ ...
MemoQ 8.+ performance - scrolling up and down oh so tortuously slow Jun 5, 2021

Georgios Tziakos wrote:

Hello everyone,

(There are so many fora on Proz.Com that I am not sure I got the right one -- do we actually need all those subcategories?)

I've been trying to wrap my head around this. How can it be that I have a powerful computer that handles anything from having 50-100 tabs open, intensive statistics software, and moderately heavy graphics display without problems, and STILL find that MemoQ is getting so slow when you scroll up or down the strings in Editor that it basically stutters? A client recently upgraded to 8.6 and I see it's even worse than 8.3, and much, much worse than 2015 or 2014R2 are (which I still use for other clients and honestly prefer them for allowing me to work at my top speed). I even tried creating a small off-line local project comprised of a 50-word, 10-string document and extremely lean resources, to see if any of that was the problem, but it's still just as slow when scrolling up or down. The refresh rate is simply appalling. Is anyone else experiencing such issues?

Thanks,
Georgios

[Edited at 2018-11-16 09:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-11-16 09:41 GMT]

Hi
it still remains to be seen why MemoQ behaves the way you describe on your computer whereas on mine it's fast, reliable, no problem at all. Same with Studio blamed by quite some colleagues to crash every so often. I run all my CAT tools on an iMac with Parallels, 72 GB RAM, 3,3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 (which may sound as overkill, but I can keep open as many applications as I need and I suffer no slowliness). So my best guess is that you have to look for bottlenecks on your PC side instead of blaming MemoQ.

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not a bottleneck when the only software with issues is MemoQ Jun 6, 2021

Wolfgang Schoene wrote:

Georgios Tziakos wrote:

Hello everyone,

(There are so many fora on Proz.Com that I am not sure I got the right one -- do we actually need all those subcategories?)

I've been trying to wrap my head around this. How can it be that I have a powerful computer that handles anything from having 50-100 tabs open, intensive statistics software, and moderately heavy graphics display without problems, and STILL find that MemoQ is getting so slow when you scroll up or down the strings in Editor that it basically stutters? A client recently upgraded to 8.6 and I see it's even worse than 8.3, and much, much worse than 2015 or 2014R2 are (which I still use for other clients and honestly prefer them for allowing me to work at my top speed). I even tried creating a small off-line local project comprised of a 50-word, 10-string document and extremely lean resources, to see if any of that was the problem, but it's still just as slow when scrolling up or down. The refresh rate is simply appalling. Is anyone else experiencing such issues?

Thanks,
Georgios

[Edited at 2018-11-16 09:38 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-11-16 09:41 GMT]

Hi
it still remains to be seen why MemoQ behaves the way you describe on your computer whereas on mine it's fast, reliable, no problem at all. Same with Studio blamed by quite some colleagues to crash every so often. I run all my CAT tools on an iMac with Parallels, 72 GB RAM, 3,3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5 (which may sound as overkill, but I can keep open as many applications as I need and I suffer no slowliness). So my best guess is that you have to look for bottlenecks on your PC side instead of blaming MemoQ.

Hopefully you're doing some very very specific tasks that need those 72 GB, otherwise you are basically wasting more than 50% of your RAM (I never even get close to using 75% of my 16 GB - I will probably be upgrading to 32 in a couple of years). Aside from this, your CPU is perfect for getting optimal speed on all business applications and games, quite strong.

I have already given you my configuration and you can check it yourself, if you see any bottlenecks in there, feel free to point them out. Every other piece of software on my computer is running insanely fast. I've also clarified that MemoQ runs fast enough on *my* computer when the file is not enormous (more than ~10k strings, for example), but that's only because it's a pretty strong rig, which should definitely not be needed to run such an antiquated software architecture and UI as that of MemoQ. Still, on Power saver mode the stuttering begins even on mine. (you can check my post "Firefox being open doesn't seem to affect anything")

Best,
Georgios

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Oh yeah Jun 6, 2021

A ton of segments open does tend to slow MemoQ down.

Views stitching together a 20-file job, for example, are noticeably less smooth than opening the individual files.

[Edited at 2021-06-06 14:52 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:36
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Works better on a Macbook Aug 27, 2023

I know this thread is from 2021, but I just wanted to add a new piece of information (new to me, at least): I have just installed memoQ 10.1 on an M1 Macbook (the cheapest edition) through Parallels 19, and it scrolls perfectly. Everything seems to happen more smoothly, which is quite perplexing. The only downside is that the icons look tiny, because memoQ does not play well with Retina displays (although they claim it does, since version 8.1 [https://www.memoq.com/memoq-features-you-missed]).... See more
I know this thread is from 2021, but I just wanted to add a new piece of information (new to me, at least): I have just installed memoQ 10.1 on an M1 Macbook (the cheapest edition) through Parallels 19, and it scrolls perfectly. Everything seems to happen more smoothly, which is quite perplexing. The only downside is that the icons look tiny, because memoQ does not play well with Retina displays (although they claim it does, since version 8.1 [https://www.memoq.com/memoq-features-you-missed]).

My Windows PC (a Lenovo Thinkpad) has 16 GB of RAM and an Intel i5 processor, but memoQ is annoyingly sluggish, even more so when using the laptop unplugged.

[Edited at 2023-08-27 14:02 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:36
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
very interesting, thanks for the info! Aug 27, 2023

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I know this thread is from 2021, but I just wanted to add a new piece of information (new to me, at least): I have just installed memoQ 10.1 on an M1 Macbook (the cheapest edition) through Parallels 19, and it scrolls perfectly. Everything seems to happen more smoothly, which is quite perplexing. The only downside is that the icons look tiny, because memoQ does not play well with Retina displays (although they claim it does, since version 8.1 [https://www.memoq.com/memoq-features-you-missed]).

My Windows PC (a Lenovo Thinkpad) has 16 GB of RAM and an Intel i5 processor, but memoQ is annoyingly sluggish, even more so when using the laptop unplugged.

[Edited at 2023-08-27 14:02 GMT]

It's a shame about the tiny icons issue, as I wouldn't mind trying memoQ on a Mac sometime.

Georgios Tziakos
Spain
Member (2011)
English to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks x2 Aug 28, 2023

Thank you, Epameinonda. Unfortunately Mac doesn't legally let you use MacOS on a non-Mac device, but I'll try it out on a friend's computer just to see if I can replicate this. If this happens consistently, then we're talking about a major fail on Kilgray's end, as they have apparently given up on 60% of their user-base, condemning us to using either lousy online tools lacking powerful features or forcing us to use Trados.

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:36
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Not necessarily memoQ's fault Aug 28, 2023

The culprit could be the ever-changing .NET framework, which seems to be in a constant state of flux, as typical of Microsoft in recent years, with the company trying to "shake things up" continually, causing havoc and alienating their developers. At this stage, I'd rather have access to an online edition of memoQ (currently only offered to enterprise customers), so that I don't need to use a virtual machine on my Mac (which I consider making my main work machine, after years of being a Windows ... See more
The culprit could be the ever-changing .NET framework, which seems to be in a constant state of flux, as typical of Microsoft in recent years, with the company trying to "shake things up" continually, causing havoc and alienating their developers. At this stage, I'd rather have access to an online edition of memoQ (currently only offered to enterprise customers), so that I don't need to use a virtual machine on my Mac (which I consider making my main work machine, after years of being a Windows aficionado).Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 8.+ performance - scrolling up and down oh so tortuously slow

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »