Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Nov 5, 2020

Hello everyone

A client sent me 150 DOCX files that were exported from Memsource. Some of the files contain just one or two segments. Most of them contain no more than 5 segments. It is downright silly to work with 150 files of just a few segments each instead of just one large file with all the segments in it.

(I'm happy the client did the work of exporting the files to DOCX, because I can only export DOCX from Memsource and import DOCX into Memsource one file at a
... See more
Hello everyone

A client sent me 150 DOCX files that were exported from Memsource. Some of the files contain just one or two segments. Most of them contain no more than 5 segments. It is downright silly to work with 150 files of just a few segments each instead of just one large file with all the segments in it.

(I'm happy the client did the work of exporting the files to DOCX, because I can only export DOCX from Memsource and import DOCX into Memsource one file at a time, and it would have driven me crazy if I were to have to do that.)

Is there anything I can do? Right now, what I did was to create a copy of each file in such a way that the original and the copy are sorted together in Explorer, then I created a macro in Word that deletes all text except the text in the source column (but this must be done one file at a time), so that I can add the files to a CAT tool, then I'll translate it, and then afterwards I'll have to copy/paste the translated columns into the original files (which I may be able to script a bit in AutoIt)... but we're still looking at about 3-4 additional hours of no translation and just juggling of text). (Fortunately this project is 99% untranslated, but I've had multi-file projects in which I also had to deal with existing translations.)

Do you know of a CAT tool that can handle Memsource DOCX files? Or a CAT tool in which one can tell the tool to put the translation of the source column into the target column?

(A Memsource DOCX contains 4 tables with line breaks between them, and in the fourth table column 3 is the source text and column 4 is the target text. And text that is in the colour 166,166,166 are repetitions and should ideally not be translated.)

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:49
Danish to English
+ ...
Memsource Nov 5, 2020

It would be simpler just to work on them in Memsource, where you can download them all as one combined file.

You can also import one or more MXLIFF files into memoQ and work in a view there.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:49
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Thomas Nov 5, 2020

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
It would be simpler just to work on them in Memsource, where you can download them all as one combined file.

1. How does one download a combined file in Memsource?

2. Alas, neither I nor my immediate client have access to the Memsource project.

Recep Kurt
Recep Kurt  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:49
Member (2011)
English to Turkish
+ ...
How to download combined files in Memsource Nov 6, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

1. How does one download a combined file in Memsource?

2. Alas, neither I nor my immediate client have access to the Memsource project.

Hi Samuel,

1. When you go to your "Projects" screen, it displays you the jobs under that particular project.
After accepting the jobs you tick the boxes of the jobs that you want to combine, then click on the "Download" button, which will give you an option to download all jobs as a "Bilingual MXLIFF", a "DOCX" or a "TMX" file.

2. Normally it is the client that creates those projects/jobs and gives you access (user name+password) to them.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
You can download them from the Cloud merged Nov 7, 2020

Just check all files > select Download > select Bilingual MXLIFF > Join files

[Edited at 2020-11-07 10:52 GMT]

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Ask them to give access to Memsource Cloud Nov 7, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
neither I nor my immediate client have access to the Memsource project.

This is much more 'downright silly'. Why can't your end client give access to Memsource Cloud?
You have to reinvent the wheel if don't have access. If you do, it takes seconds to do the trick.

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Merge multiple Memsource DOCX export files

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »