psnuk
psnuk
South Korea
Local time: 17:38
English to Korean
+ ...
Jun 20, 2018

Hello there,

I had a translation job offer and plus my client wants me to count words and he is willing to pay for it. Counting words is tedious for them...
I don't know how much I charge for this work. I have been googling but couldn't find the answer.

Can you give me an answer or clue?

Thanks in advance.

Somnath Dey
Somnath Dey  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 14:08
Member (2014)
English to Bengali
+ ...
Charge per hour! Jun 25, 2018

Hi,

When you don't know how much to charge, charge per hour instead.

All the best

Somnath

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:38
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Hourly rate Jun 25, 2018

You can offer your client to split your hourly rate into 2, maybe even 4 "segments", that is, 30 and 15 minutes. So if you need 16 or 17 minutes towards the end, charge your 30 minutes' rate. Whenever you're in doubt, an hourly rate will work out.

Anastasia Naoumi
Anastasia Naoumi  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 10:38
English to Greek
+ ...
Word counting tool or charge per hour Jun 25, 2018

Hello!

If the document is in doc/docx/open office etc. there are word counting tools for this. If it is in pdf for example or hard copy, then you can provide a rate per page (say a page contains 350-500) words or per hour.

I hope this is helpful

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charge for counting words

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »