Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Off topic: What would you like your cellular phone to do?
Thread poster: Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Local time: 18:39
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 17, 2009

I would like my cellular phone to:

-open my garage door
-open my house
-pay the bus
-inform the police/medical service automatically if I am sick or kidnapped
-explain to me in my language what I want to know of a building, touristic place
-guide me to walk the most quick way through an airport or raylway station
-use it as a walky-talky in a big house, in a bus or in a car to speak with each other confortably
-send a message to someone whos
... See more

-open my garage door
-open my house
-pay the bus
-explain to me in my language what I want to know of a building, touristic place
-use it as a walky-talky in a big house, in a bus or in a car to speak with each other confortably
-send a message to someone whose car light is not ok
-inform me about the next place where I can charge my electric car
-open my car
-open my motocycle
-open my seeway
-open my postoffice
-switch my tv on/off and look for channels
-switch my computer on/off
-access my bank account in internet
-switch on/off with my fingerprints

Please give me your ideas...if you like
Collapse

Lai Ting Lee

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:39
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Keep it simple Jan 17, 2009

I would like my cellular phone to enable me to dial in numbers to make telephone calls, and to receive telephone calls, and that's all. Everything else is an unnecessary complication as far as I am concerned.

Stéphanie Soudais
Stéphanie Soudais  Identity Verified
France
English to French
idem Jan 17, 2009

Jack Doughty wrote:

I would like my cellular phone to enable me to dial in numbers to make telephone calls, and to receive telephone calls, and that's all.

Since this kind of thing almost does not exist any more, I got rid of my mobile and took a fixed line...No longer do I need to search my mobile everywhere!

Stéphanie

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Make phone calls only - redevelop from there Jan 17, 2009

This is an issue I've been thinking about writing an article for a marketing magazine. I've had several generations of cell phones, only one of them from a different manufacturer. My guess is that I only use some 5% of their resources. Why? Because the manual is user-unfriendly. It was written by and for the manufacturer alone. No, not a bad translation at all. However it briefly describes the features in a language I'd call Motorolish or Lynx-Goldstarese (for that only LG I had), and gives no t... See more
This is an issue I've been thinking about writing an article for a marketing magazine. I've had several generations of cell phones, only one of them from a different manufacturer. My guess is that I only use some 5% of their resources. Why? Because the manual is user-unfriendly. It was written by and for the manufacturer alone. No, not a bad translation at all. However it briefly describes the features in a language I'd call Motorolish or Lynx-Goldstarese (for that only LG I had), and gives no tutorial on how, nor especially on why such features are useful.

I think manufacturers are missing a golden opportunity to gain customer loyalty by each brand standardizing the way of accessing the key features on their phones over different generations, and getting consumers' buy-in in using their exclusive features. Instead, they offer rebates, and sometimes bundle useless accessories.

IMHO the first step would be for manufacturers to write user-friendly manuals. And please bear in mind that I am a tech guy, a mechanical engineer. So if I consider these manuals unfriendly, pity on the plain non-tech user.
Collapse

Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Felipe Gútiez Velasco
Germany
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What about really funny videos to show how to use a phone Jan 17, 2009

You are absolutely right José Henrique,

What about a movie in which people can see real use and real ways of using mobile phones?

For example: if you don´t have a pen and you have an idea, want to write an address down, or want all this made by another person. If you and the other person have a mobile phone there is a standard function in every phone:speech record. Didn´t know it? Now you know.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:39
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm with Jack Jan 17, 2009

I'd love to find a cell phone that's just a phone. Last time I replaced my U.S. phone it took some doing to find one that didn't have a camera. If I could permanently disable the browser, games, etc. on this thing, I'd be a happy camper, since I keep accidentally hitting the wrong buttons and going into them.

Similarly, it annoys me that I can't find a good Windows netbook computer without a built-in webcam and mic.

[Edited at 2009-01-17 19:01 GMT]

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
I also would like a simple phone Jan 17, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:

I'd love to find a cell phone that's just a phone. Last time I replaced my U.S. phone it took some doing to find one that didn't have a camera. If I could permanently disable the browser, games, etc. on this thing, I'd be a happy camper, since I keep accidentally hitting the wrong buttons and going into them.

Similarly, it annoys me that I can't find a good Windows netbook computer without a built-in webcam and mic.

[Edited at 2009-01-17 19:01 GMT]

Call me old fashioned, but I just want to make phone calls.

That said, some of the ideas put forth on this thread are intriguing, especially the concept of the phone being able to activate devices.

Andres & Leticia Enjuto
Andres & Leticia Enjuto  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not my type... Jan 17, 2009

I've already lost two cell phones and a one with all those features would be a risk to my security.

Letty

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

-open my garage door
-open my house
-pay the bus
-open my car
-open my motocycle
-open my seeway
-open my postoffice

Please give me your ideas...if you like

[Edited at 2009-01-17 19:38 GMT]

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Watertight Jan 17, 2009

I want a mobile phone that is able to survive a dip in the toilet.

Seriously, when you are used to keep it in your shirt's pocket, it tends to dive right in when you less expect it.

Besides that, I want something that can make and receive calls, with a reasonable volume and interference-resistant, and nothing else. Brickbreaker is something they put in it just to sabotage our productivity.

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
got $100? Jan 17, 2009

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

I want a mobile phone that is able to survive a dip in the toilet.

Amazingly, this is now possible. Even the speakers will continue to work while the thing is under water. Fish it out and keep using it as if nothing happened... well, supposing you have a strong stomach.

http://www.engadget.com/2008/11/28/golden-shellback-weatherproof-coating-now-on-sale/

http://www.engadget.com/2008/07/22/golden-shellback-waterproofing-defies-water-reality/

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 12:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Watertight II Jan 17, 2009

Edwal Rospigliosi wrote:

Watertight.

Now that's the most useful suggestion I've heard in a long time.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:39
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Why not buy a simple model? Jan 18, 2009

I use my Nokia (pronounced like 'knock-i-a') model 6000 since two years and the battery is still lasting for weeks. No camera, nothing extra. I don't know about water-tightness, but on trekking I put my electronic devices into mini-grip-bags anyway.
Price now is about 40 Euro, I paid 69.
Before that I had three Siemens models, but their batteries were week.

Rod Walters
Rod Walters  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:39
Japanese to English
Compatibility with Outlook Jan 18, 2009

I have a Japanese mobile with a high-end camera which is a nice feature for my needs.

But I wish that I could synchronise my address book between the phone and my PC. It shouldn't be difficult from a technical point of view.

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 00:39
Chinese to English
+ ...
Almost everything? Feb 16, 2021

-open my garage door
-open my house
-pay the bus
-open my car
-open my motocycle
-open my seeway
-open my postoffice

I would think there's a way for my phone to do all that, although I'm not entirely sure - maybe some of them in proprietary apps that are not publicly available.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What would you like your cellular phone to do?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »