Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >
Off topic: Completely frivolous thread
Thread poster: Tom in London
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:23
Spanish to English
+ ...
And finally ... Nov 23, 2020

... because Christine's inflation can be tough, but her deflation tends to be accompanied by a bang. And possibly a whimper too.

Matthias Brombach
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
He´s not ... Nov 23, 2020

Chris S wrote:

perhaps he’s putting all that huffing and puffing to good use by trying that trick where you put a London over your head and blow it up like a balloon?

... because on the other channel I can hear a lot of Mexican commas being replaced by British full stops right now.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
British full stops Nov 23, 2020

Does that mean Brexit? But what about the Irish back stop?

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau

Angela B
Angela B  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Confessions of a Foosty Aero Snacker Nov 23, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

You're dragging your feet a little, aren't you, Angela? I remember requesting a secret Spanish snack-scoffer update of behalf of the others some time ago. A request turning foostier by the minute, too ...

Apologies Mervyn – I've been so busy with the fallout from that whole episode ... you know, marriage counselling, cajoling my other half into AAA (Aero Addicts Anonymous) meetings and whatnot, I haven't had the time to update. To cut a long story short, I didn't even have time to execute the plan so cleverly and collaboratively devised in this here thread, because that very same night the suspect busted his cover all by himself.

I knew something was up when he came home from the supermarket and didn't display everything he had bought on the kitchen worktop as per his normal practice instead of just putting it away (a habit that has always had my eye twitching, perhaps even more than furtive Aero consumption). Needless to say, I went to investigate the suspicious silence and was confronted with that horrible, gut-wrenching sight no wife ever wants to see: her husband desperately trying to hide a giant Aero bar under a pile of foosty custard creams.

I'll spare you the details but it got pretty ugly and ended with him crumbling into a heap on the kitchen floor and wailing something about how living in this forlorn country where a tapa is a fried Mars Bar cut into five pieces and there's no light for six months of the year and you can't grow oranges and every time you try to greet someone with dos besos they shout 'whityedaenyaradge?' has driven him to such depths of despair that really only an Aero can soothe his broken soul.

We're working on it. He tells me his meetings are helping so I'm confident that this time next year we'll all be able to see a shelf full of Aeros in the supermarket and feel nothing at all.

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Christopher Schröder
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Good point*, Mervyn ... Nov 23, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Does that mean Brexit? But what about the Irish back stop?

... *sorry, I meant "full stop".

[Bearbeitet am 2020-11-23 16:56 GMT]

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aero dénouement Nov 23, 2020

There, you see, a problem shared is a problem halved. For you with us, and for him with you. Oh no, it wasn't, was it, as Tom reminded me last time - a problem aired is a problem shared, that was it. You fessed up to the right people here.

And, do you know what, he probably wanted to get caught. That's why it was so easy in the end. He cracked and let you catch him. A lot of them actually want to get caught. They know it's wrong, and they yearn to reach out, but they just can't. Not
... See more
There, you see, a problem shared is a problem halved. For you with us, and for him with you. Oh no, it wasn't, was it, as Tom reminded me last time - a problem aired is a problem shared, that was it. You fessed up to the right people here.

And, do you know what, he probably wanted to get caught. That's why it was so easy in the end. He cracked and let you catch him. A lot of them actually want to get caught. They know it's wrong, and they yearn to reach out, but they just can't. Not to their nearest and dearest, at any rate, because they know it's them they'd hurt them the most. But I'd almost be willing to bet he's been talking about the craving to people he doesn't even know, maybe a stranger down the Dog and Sporran over a pint or two of heavy, or online, because telling a stranger is the easiest thing in the world, safe under the cloak of anonymity, safe from the shame, and the next best thing to getting caught.

And he knows himself it was just a matter of time before he started in on the harder stuff, too. Those treacherous Tunnock's Teacake temptresses all rustling red in their aluminium foil, and oh, the list goes on ...

I'm sure those were unspeakable moments, Angela, but it's all behind you now, it's out in the open, the air has been cleared, and you're well on the way to recovery. Thanks for sharing.

[Edited at 2020-11-23 17:44 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-11-23 18:31 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
P.L.F. Persio
Angela B

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 15:23
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Christine Nov 23, 2020

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Christine? Do you mean Christine Lagarde, perhaps, ex IMF (International Monetary Funspoiler) and now ECB (European Central Babe)? But lots of hot air in either case.

Since nobody liked Alain (« ni de loin, ni de près »), here's Christine, whose title character was played by the beautiful actress Romy Schneider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHimfqHlubg

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Rachel Fell
Rachel Fell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Er... Nov 23, 2020

Nobody said they liked him, rather, Exy

[Edited at 2020-11-24 00:01 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
, Nov 24, 2020

Matthias Brombach wrote:

My phone just rang with Ursula von der Leyen on the line (The President of the European Commission)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilmOHfnIpFI

Matthias Brombach
Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
P.L.F. Persio

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Duds Nov 24, 2020

Funny you should mention Pete and Dud. I remember when me and Mervyn were hired to write their sketches for them. They were so bad at delivering our lines that we had to pretend they were improvising.

Cor, they were hard to get rid of. Eventually we had to beat them down the stairs with a big stick. But they were nothing like as hard to get rid of as the bloody Two Ronnies. Pure evil, them two. Barker handcuffed himself to the lav, and Corbett’s still stalking me today.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
expressisverbis
Zibow Retailleau
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Alain Nov 24, 2020

It's not exactly that we don't like him, Exy. We envy him in a rather dislikeful manner. There's a difference.

expressisverbis
Thomas T. Frost

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Rachel and Mervyn Nov 24, 2020

Do not to take my comments seriously
I was kidding. When Matthias mentioned the name "Christine" it reminded of me that movie.
Do not worry, here all the candidates are much better than Alain and no one should leave as A. Merkel said before.

Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Easy, easy, please ...! Nov 24, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

Do not to take my comments seriously
I was kidding. When Matthias mentioned the name "Christine" it reminded of me that movie.
Do not worry, here all the candidates are much better than Alain and no one should leave as A. Merkel said before.

Merkel would not like too much trouble here in Uncle T.'s Cabin, especially when he´s coming home again for a short time only to see, whether all commas are properly set etc.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson (X)

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
New Proz merchandising product! Nov 24, 2020

expressisverbis wrote:

When Matthias mentioned the name "Christine" etc.

I am in negotiations with Proz HQ (yes, with the person who has lost her eyebrows during a pitiable accident in their office) to marketing Christine as a merchandising product for Proz, perhaps for plus members only. Would you support it?

expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Completely frivolous thread

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »