Thread poster: eva75
Raffaella Cornacchini
Raffaella Cornacchini  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:53
English to Italian
+ ...
getting better May 8, 2007

[quote]Roberta Anderson wrote:

When I started to work in front a computer screen, almost 20 yrs ago, I was already wearing -7 glasses/contacts.
I've been spending an average of 8 hrs/day at my PC since then, and it did not get any worse.

[In fact, although I now spend even more time at the PC, since I past my 40's it got slightly better - I'm now at only -6]

It's the same for me.
20 years ago I was wearing -2 glasses. Since then I've been spending at least 8 hours at my PC and I'm getting better (-1 now). I've to wear multifocal glasses, though, which are terribly expensive.
Raffaella

vaskekona
vaskekona
Norwegian (Bokmal) to English
+ ...
"stretch" your eyes May 8, 2007

I'm no expert on such things, but I know it is healthy to exercise the muscles of your eyes...
- Look up from the monitor often and focus on objects at varying distances.
- If possible, look out the window at distant objects.
- Let light hit your eyes from different angles.
- Roll your eyes around in your head as far as they will go.
- Get up and walk around.
General sanity checks.

Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 01:53
English to Latvian
+ ...
Getting worse May 8, 2007

I'd had -2.5 in both eyes since childhood and I underwent Lasik 2 years ago, which was great. Since the beginning of this year (overloaded with work) I've noticed my vision is getting worse again, I really hope the investment in Lasik wasn't completely useless and that this is just a temporary problem caused by additional strain on the eyes.

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
I have now brand new eyes... May 8, 2007

HI!
I started wearing glasses as I was 18 and I was myopic with an equal diapter of -3.5 in both eyes. I was almost thinking that my spectacles are part of my face without which nothing ever functioned till about a year at diapter -7. Earlier I used contact lenses ( those oxygen permeable semi hard type, the other soft type didn´t fit), but that caused further annoyance, I kept on losing one of the lenses either while brushing teeth or it just used fall off somewhere I couldn´t find. The
... See more
HI!
I started wearing glasses as I was 18 and I was myopic with an equal diapter of -3.5 in both eyes. I was almost thinking that my spectacles are part of my face without which nothing ever functioned till about a year at diapter -7. Earlier I used contact lenses ( those oxygen permeable semi hard type, the other soft type didn´t fit), but that caused further annoyance, I kept on losing one of the lenses either while brushing teeth or it just used fall off somewhere I couldn´t find. Then went for lasik operation and now I have a 20/20 vision. The whole operation did not even take 10 mins and I came out of the operation theatre with very dark glasses and I could still see truck bolts and small flowers behind window panes at a distance of almost 200 - 250 meters on the first day very clearly. I am very glad I went for this solution. The doc says 20/20 correction is not healthy, this may lead in a couple of years to hyopia. I haven´t felt any symptoms sofar. Brandis

[Edited at 2007-05-08 13:02]
Collapse

Tracey Denby
Tracey Denby  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:53
French to English
+ ...
No glasses for now.....but in the next decade or so... May 8, 2007

I had no problems with my eyesight until I started working on a computer all day (aged 30) and subsequently undertook a full time MA. My eyes gradually deteriorated to -0.20 and -1.50 over 18 months. I used daily disposable contacts for approx. 5 years then opted for laser treatment. I would recommend it to anyone. The only side effect has been slight dryness, which I had suffered from when I was studying; I can easily rectify this with drops at night. Unfortunately there is no treatment fo... See more
I had no problems with my eyesight until I started working on a computer all day (aged 30) and subsequently undertook a full time MA. My eyes gradually deteriorated to -0.20 and -1.50 over 18 months. I used daily disposable contacts for approx. 5 years then opted for laser treatment. I would recommend it to anyone. The only side effect has been slight dryness, which I had suffered from when I was studying; I can easily rectify this with drops at night. Unfortunately there is no treatment for age-related presbyopia, so having discarded the glasses I shall probably have to wear them again for "reading" in the next decade or so....Collapse

Orla Ryan
Orla Ryan  Identity Verified
Ireland
I got lasered too May 8, 2007

When I wore glasses, my left eye glass was significantly thicker than the right, even after the glasses were thinned down, so I know how you feel (I couldn't cope with contacts, they hurt me too much and made me cry every time I tried them). Glasses can be sexy, but big thick milk-bottle glasses are not.

Why not consider laser eye surgery? 30 minutes and it is all over. I think I may have written an account of my operation in the thread where Brandis discussed his surgery. I'm sure
... See more
When I wore glasses, my left eye glass was significantly thicker than the right, even after the glasses were thinned down, so I know how you feel (I couldn't cope with contacts, they hurt me too much and made me cry every time I tried them). Glasses can be sexy, but big thick milk-bottle glasses are not.

Why not consider laser eye surgery? 30 minutes and it is all over. I think I may have written an account of my operation in the thread where Brandis discussed his surgery. I'm sure the thread is still here somewhere

I got mine done in 2004 and my vision is still excellent. I've never had dry-eye myself, but I always carry a pair of sunglasses in my bag to protect my eyes in the sun (just in case).

Orla
Collapse

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 20:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interesting May 8, 2007

Yolande Haneder wrote:

I also read a couple of years ago a study in Britain (OK MANY years go )that showed a strong correlation between reading with low light and myopia and I must admit that I read a lot as a child just with a small light.

That might certainly explain why I was at -4 at merely 11 years old

I currently have -6 in both eyes (since I was 24, I'm 28 now) but I think it's fairly normal deterioration considering hoy many years have passed.

I certainly hope my eyesight doesn't deteriorate any further, though, since I'm waiting for a last checkup (to confirm that it as stopped) before undergoing laser surgery.

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
what can you do about it, though? May 8, 2007

I started translating in 2003 on about -10.5 and now am at about -11, but I'm not sure if it's due to the computer work, as my eyes have got worse and worse since I was 7 (they're too bad for Lasik unless the method improves, apparently).

I don't use contact lenses when working at the computer, look out of the window regularly, close my eyes, etc. and I've started buying lots of audiobooks so that my eyes get a rest in the evening, but really, what can you do about it?

... See more
I started translating in 2003 on about -10.5 and now am at about -11, but I'm not sure if it's due to the computer work, as my eyes have got worse and worse since I was 7 (they're too bad for Lasik unless the method improves, apparently).

I don't use contact lenses when working at the computer, look out of the window regularly, close my eyes, etc. and I've started buying lots of audiobooks so that my eyes get a rest in the evening, but really, what can you do about it?

BTW, having thick glasses can actually be quite useful in some situations. I now have a really scary, square black-framed pair: I sometimes make a point of wearing those, and not my contact lenses, when meeting clients!

Also, when the lenses get very thick you can switch to a different type of lens - the ones I have in my glasses are not much thicker than the normal, cheap sort you get at -6 or so (as far as I remember, -6 was a long time ago!).

[Edited at 2007-05-08 15:28]
Collapse

Gianni Pastore
Gianni Pastore  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2007)
English to Italian
Off Topic May 8, 2007

F: Gianni, why don't you use contact lenses?
G: Have you ever seen an optician or an oculist with contact lenses, rather than glasses?
F: Er... no.
G: Exactly.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Close work May 8, 2007

I too have worn glasses since I was "found out" in an eye test at school when I was about 13. I wondered why I hadn't been able to read the blackboard, but you just assume that no-one else can either! I can remember now my mother saying how guilty she felt as, armed with my new lenses, I enthused over the tiny details I could now see through the window!

Neither of my parents is remotely short-sighted, so I've always thought that my short-sightedness was due to my avid reading habit
... See more
I too have worn glasses since I was "found out" in an eye test at school when I was about 13. I wondered why I hadn't been able to read the blackboard, but you just assume that no-one else can either! I can remember now my mother saying how guilty she felt as, armed with my new lenses, I enthused over the tiny details I could now see through the window!

Neither of my parents is remotely short-sighted, so I've always thought that my short-sightedness was due to my avid reading habit - too many books read under the pillow! I don't think that they've deteriorated any more with the advent of computer technology and at least pdf files give you the option of magnifying the text, rather than struggling to read horrible fuzzy faxes. In saying that, my distance vision has improved slightly over recent years, but sadly at the expense of my near vision. I have now had to switch to varifocals to read small print with my glasses on, although I often find it more restful to take them off altogether. A sign of age, I suppose....
Collapse

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 09:53
Italian to English
Sunglasses May 9, 2007

Some of my colleagues tried weaing sunglasses in front of the PC....good quality ones of course..at a price....they seemed to work.

Marion Lurf
Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Interesting info May 9, 2007

Gillian Scheibelein wrote:

My eyes (-2.5 + -3) haven't changed much since I was a child. I started wearing hard contact lenses over 30 years ago, but start having problems focusing on distant motorway signs, they were very blurred. My opthamologist told me this was due to eyestrain: my eye control muscles for left/right movement (i.e. reading) were strained and were constantly moving my eyeball very very slightly to the left and right (tremor) thus blurring my long-distance vision. He recommended that I should stop wearing contacts whilst working on the computer because the extra weight (!!!) added to the eyestrain and because many people have a lower blink rate thus causing drier eyes.

I have been wearing hard contact lenses for about 12 years now and started noticing the same phenomenon a while ago. It happens only occasionally and also with not-so-distant signs, and actually feels a bit as if the text was in 3D. (In fact, it's even worse with my glasses, but they are quite old and probably I simply need stronger ones.) Anyway, next time I will ask my ophtalmologist about this - the only problem is that I was prescribed the lenses precisely because my eyesight was getting worse, and she told me to wear them every day (which, admittedly, I don't, particularly when I'm at home all day). Thanks for the info, Gillian. It is quite surprising to see how many translators out there are myopic.

Eva - don't worry that much about thick glasses, maybe they will even make you look more "serious" and business-like!

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 19:53
English to French
+ ...
Astigmatism May 9, 2007

I got a prescription a few years ago for glasses that only serve to avoid eye strain. The only problem I have so far is astigmatism (I have near perfect vision). These glasses are a blessing - I actually see much better with them, everything seems much sharper. I don't see any farther than I did before, but my eyes do force much less. The ophtalmo told me I don't need these, but that if I wanted more comfort working on a computer, these would help. I don't know if they've been helping to keep my... See more
I got a prescription a few years ago for glasses that only serve to avoid eye strain. The only problem I have so far is astigmatism (I have near perfect vision). These glasses are a blessing - I actually see much better with them, everything seems much sharper. I don't see any farther than I did before, but my eyes do force much less. The ophtalmo told me I don't need these, but that if I wanted more comfort working on a computer, these would help. I don't know if they've been helping to keep my eyes healthy, but I feel that by avoiding strain, my eyes are not going to wear out as fast. Who knows...Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
hyper convex glasses May 9, 2007

lingomania wrote:

Some of my colleagues tried weaing sunglasses in front of the PC....good quality ones of course..at a price....they seemed to work.
these are practicable, pilots use these, the light ray breaks in the glass either upwardly or downwards or both ways so that the eyes stay relaxed. Increse the screen font size and wear hyper convex glasses, may be also slightly toned could make the working environment pleasant. Brandis

Roberta Anderson
Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
thrilled by details May 9, 2007

Claire Cox wrote:

enthused over the tiny details I could now see through the window![/quote]

I remember that feeling exactly: I was thrilled and surprised to see all the tiny leaves on trees, and people's pupils!!

And Eva, there are so many beautiful frames to chose from, just like fashion accessories... a friend of mine wears glasses with plain, no correction lenses, because she likes the look of them!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Myopic translators

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »