Off topic: Myopic translators
Thread poster: eva75
Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 10:56
English to German
+ ...
contact lens is a foreign body and nothing biological May 10, 2007

Hi! I had to mention this. As I was still wearing glasses ( spectacles) I had to move my whole neck around to see and read to understand (a typical symptom with many myopics), with contact lenses the trouble was somewhat over, but there was still a chance of losing these while brushing teeth (personal trouble or so) but with lasik, I can look sideways still capture the picture without having to move my whole neck, remains the part of appearing serious with spectacles, welcome, as long as I can s... See more
Hi! I had to mention this. As I was still wearing glasses ( spectacles) I had to move my whole neck around to see and read to understand (a typical symptom with many myopics), with contact lenses the trouble was somewhat over, but there was still a chance of losing these while brushing teeth (personal trouble or so) but with lasik, I can look sideways still capture the picture without having to move my whole neck, remains the part of appearing serious with spectacles, welcome, as long as I can still capture my surrouding without having to turn my neck around, well designed spectacles could be of great impression. I could implement hazel gray eye soft contacts or the similar as per choice. BrandisCollapse

Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
How nice is it not to be needing glasses May 10, 2007

Brandis wrote:

Hi! I had to mention this. As I was still wearing glasses ( spectacles) I had to move my whole neck around to see and read to understand (a typical symptom with many myopics), with contact lenses the trouble was somewhat over, but there was still a chance of losing these while brushing teeth (personal trouble or so) but with lasik, I can look sideways still capture the picture without having to move my whole neck, remains the part of appearing serious with spectacles, welcome, as long as I can still capture my surrouding without having to turn my neck around, well designed spectacles could be of great impression. I could implement hazel gray eye soft contacts or the similar as per choice. Brandis

It is a nice thought. As for loosing contact lenses, I found out that the best way was to look for them with a pocket light (as most of the time, one is loosing them in the morning or in the evening). The lense is refecting the light in a way that hardly another surface can and I found out them in the most unexpected corner.

Another anectdote about having glasses is as I was a child. My mother couldn't stand the sight of seeing a thing laying on a table, she just pushed it quickly away. Once in the evening, as I was still only wearing glasses (at that time frameless) to read or watch TV, I left them on the table as i went to bed. My mother as usual put them automatically in a cupboard. As I woke up, I went looking for the glasses for school - asked my mother who answered I should take care of my stuff. I am just smiling when I am remembering how a short sighted (without contact lenses) went to look for frameless glasses all the more when I am astigmatic and edges are blurred.

I have a couple of hospitals as client. Maybe one day when they ask for a translation in French, I may be temped to ask for Lasik instead of payment. After all it doesn't cost them that much as what they are asking for (like a translation for me).

[Edited at 2007-05-10 16:36]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 16:56
Chinese to English
+ ...
No change Feb 20, 2021

My prescription has moved maybe a hair in the past 15 years or so. A couple of months ago I got a new pair of glasses and the prescription exactly the same as the my previous pair.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Lincoln Feb 20, 2021

Lincoln Hui wrote:
My prescription has moved maybe a hair in the past 15 years or so.

Little change in the past 5 years for me. However, I recently got "computer glasses", which are super sharp at about 50-80 cm from my face, but blurry for anything over 1 meter.

I also experimented with bifocals, and I may try it again in future, if I can convince the eyeglass supplier to move those halfmoons lower down. With the bifocals that I tried recently, the bottom half of my screen is blurry, and that's no good.

I also tried varifocals i.e. multifocals (even multifocal "computer" glasses), but then only the middle of the screen (a spot of about 10 cm diameter) is legible, so since only the past four words that you typed are in focus, they're pretty much useless.

About 5 years ago I complained to my eye doctor that I had trouble reading small text at close range, and he said "there's nothing we can do... try removing your glasses when that happens" and it worked! Old age, and all that.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Myopic translators

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »