Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: How do you usually unwind and keep fresh for work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
May 11, 2018

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How do you usually unwind and keep fresh for work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Christine Andersen. View the poll results »

Angus Stewart
Angus Stewart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:27
Member (2011)
French to English
+ ...
Walking May 11, 2018

I go for two walks each day. A half hour walk in the park behind my flat at lunch time and a longer walk lasting an hour and half by the river when I finish my day's work in the evening.

Tony Keily
Mohammad Naim

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 16:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A mix of things, nothing defined May 11, 2018

I’m no creature of habit and I don’t allow routine to dictate my life. I’m a master of my own time! My only strict schedule is to turn my computer on a few minutes after waking up and even this has a very loose schedule: let’s say that it usually happens between 7 and 10 a.m., depending on what I had planned for the day… To unwind I might cook or bake something, take a long walk with my dog, read a book or a magazine, listen to music (any of my favorite CDs will do: opera, Leonard Cohe... See more
I’m no creature of habit and I don’t allow routine to dictate my life. I’m a master of my own time! My only strict schedule is to turn my computer on a few minutes after waking up and even this has a very loose schedule: let’s say that it usually happens between 7 and 10 a.m., depending on what I had planned for the day… To unwind I might cook or bake something, take a long walk with my dog, read a book or a magazine, listen to music (any of my favorite CDs will do: opera, Leonard Cohen, Janis Ian, Diana Krall, Lisa Ekdahl, Norah Jones…), watch TV, take a warm and long bath if I’m too tired, sit on my balcony with an espresso coffee and see the world go by, do some window shopping, have a good chat with my daughters or my friends, go lunch or dinner in a lovely restaurant (preferably near the sea or the river), visit my mother in her home: the choice is large!

P.S. Nothing beats a good dark chocolate bar to reduce stress (preferably from Pierre Marcolini).

[Edited at 2018-05-11 19:00 GMT]
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 17:27
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
exercising, walking May 11, 2018

For me, exercising and walking are a really good way to unwind, although hanging out with friends and reading are also high on my list.
After a long day I prefer an outdoor team sport (where it is not so easy to pull out with the excuse that I am tired); during a working day, a run if I can find the time; and on non-working days a walk or other outdoors activity with friends.

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
mix May 11, 2018

exercise or playing guitar

Tony Keily

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
Exercise May 11, 2018

I make a point of exercising (long walks, swimming and cycling, depending on pool opening times and the weather) every day otherwise I feel blah. Right now the best way to unwind is to sit in my garden and enjoy the blossoming roses. Also yoga on Friday night followed by drinks and a chat with my yogi friend.
My cats are also very therapeutic, nothing like a furry purry cuddle to make me feel happy and relaxed.

As for keeping fresh, I like to pop in here to start sharpening
... See more
I make a point of exercising (long walks, swimming and cycling, depending on pool opening times and the weather) every day otherwise I feel blah. Right now the best way to unwind is to sit in my garden and enjoy the blossoming roses. Also yoga on Friday night followed by drinks and a chat with my yogi friend.
My cats are also very therapeutic, nothing like a furry purry cuddle to make me feel happy and relaxed.

As for keeping fresh, I like to pop in here to start sharpening my brain before getting to grips with my translations
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other May 11, 2018

When at home in Spain, I usually go for a cycle or do some household chores or gardening... or a dip in the pool in summer. However, I'm back in Scotland right now so there's no garden or pool. Boo hoo

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I don't remember suggesting this poll... May 11, 2018

... but just now I'm euphorically burnt out from all kinds of activity in the last fortnight EXCEPT translation!!

A fantastic week in Naples, an international family event in the mountains further south, a long, hard trip home to Denmark with planes cancelled and rescheduled because of strikes, ACTIVE contribution to a walking club event in Denmark but not really walking, then another glorious family event at home, with all too little sleep in between.

I'm going to vote
... See more
... but just now I'm euphorically burnt out from all kinds of activity in the last fortnight EXCEPT translation!!

A fantastic week in Naples, an international family event in the mountains further south, a long, hard trip home to Denmark with planes cancelled and rescheduled because of strikes, ACTIVE contribution to a walking club event in Denmark but not really walking, then another glorious family event at home, with all too little sleep in between.

I'm going to vote walking or listening to music. At this time of year walking takes preference, when I have got over being incredibly stiff after the south Italian mountains and a night at München airport! We do have a few hill slopes here, formed by the Ice Age, but I 'm getting too old for real mountain hikes. I've just sent the last fellow travellers home to their farm.

So now it's back to translation, with songs in Danish, English, Swedish and Italian that we and the other guests sang at a serenata still echoing in my head!

There are already two jobs in the in-tray, for good clients who waited until I came home!
Collapse

Tony Keily

Gibril Koroma
Gibril Koroma  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:27
French to English
+ ...
A walk or a movie May 11, 2018

A long walk, or a movie or a novel by a Nobel Prize winner.

Tony Keily

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:27
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other May 11, 2018

There was a time when working was something unpleasant to do for too long, and breaks were truly necessary to keep my health. At that time, I was not allowed as many breaks as I needed.
Now, as a freelance translator, I can take as many breaks as I want, for as long as I want, but I curiously enough no longer need them so much, as working has become a pleasure, and I do something I really love.
Of course breaks and distractions are still necessary, but if I transform these breaks int
... See more
There was a time when working was something unpleasant to do for too long, and breaks were truly necessary to keep my health. At that time, I was not allowed as many breaks as I needed.
Now, as a freelance translator, I can take as many breaks as I want, for as long as I want, but I curiously enough no longer need them so much, as working has become a pleasure, and I do something I really love.
Of course breaks and distractions are still necessary, but if I transform these breaks into something scheduled, with date and time to be carried out, such as working out or any other scheduled commitment, I'll be transforming pleasure and distraction into a new obligation. So thank you, but no thank you.
I take breaks regularly, for several different reasons, that would make a long list here if I mentioned all of them, but none of them are scheduled, none of them are obligations, and they shall never be.

[Edited at 2018-05-11 23:12 GMT]
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:27
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
BTW May 11, 2018

By the way, as soon as I'm able to leave the urban center and live in the mountains, walks or tea in the balcony will become better breaks than I have today, and probably more often, too.

Akiteru Sasayama
Akiteru Sasayama  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:27
English to Japanese
+ ...
Taking a short nap May 12, 2018

15-minutes nap works the best for me.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
A mix May 12, 2018

Mainly, take a walk with my dog or spend time in my garden. I also do yoga and serve on several committees in my community.

Often I just do something different on the computer: follow up with friends, read articles on current events, research a topic that interests me ....

krishna sankar
krishna sankar
Philippines
I actually don’t. Jul 13, 2021

I actually don’t. I guess I should consider this kind of warm up before I start my day but I guess I just never considered it.

Tony Keily
Tony Keily
Italian to English
+ ...
Exercise in futility Jul 14, 2021

I do 60-90 minutes of exercise a day, mainly on a rowing machine, which means a lot of hard work but not really getting anywhere. (Sound familiar?) While rowing I watch YouTube videos on football or social science to lull me into a virtual trance.

[Edited at 2021-07-15 08:04 GMT]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How do you usually unwind and keep fresh for work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »