Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Off topic: If you weren't a translator / interpreter, what would you like to be?
Thread poster: Marina Steinbach
expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Local time: 02:18
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
A detective's eye May 18, 2020

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Also a detective

Translators are already a sort of detectives. We have a sharp eye for detail, so we would be good detectives.

Angie Garbarino

Sara Massons
Sara Massons  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:18
Member (2016)
English to French
+ ...
Too many choices... this is why I love my job May 18, 2020

Architect, webdesigner, game designer, game tester (great one !), market gardener, goat breeder (I love goat cheese), professional mountain bike rider, circus artist, professional dancer, anthomologist, botanist... and much more.

Finally, if I had the choice by now, I'd retire alone in a wild forest, away from my kids and just wait for the end listening to birds and insects and looking at plants and fungi and all the music of life...

[Edited at 2020-05-18 22:19 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Tradwind (X)

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:18
German to English
+ ...
Sounds like some incredible conversation May 19, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

...if I'd been rich I'd have liked to have done a lot more motor-racing, maybe even as a Grand Prix driver like my grandmother.

Now that sounds like an incredible person to just sit and have hours of conversations with!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
She got old too :( May 19, 2020

Becca Resnik wrote:
Sheila Wilson wrote:
...if I'd been rich I'd have liked to have done a lot more motor-racing, maybe even as a Grand Prix driver like my grandmother.

Now that sounds like an incredible person to just sit and have hours of conversations with!

I'm sure it would have been great. Unfortunately, by the time I could converse she was suffering so badly from schizophrenia that she was happier talking to herself. I was terrified of her. She did leave my father her last car though. So parked outside our 2-bed flat was a Rolls Royce, until we couldn't afford to repair it. (I had a rather strange childhood .)

[Edited at 2020-05-19 09:32 GMT]

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Master criminal May 19, 2020

I thought about it, but quickly realised it would be a difficult caper. I would have been much smarter and more expedient than the likes of Dr No and Goldfinger, though. So, a bullet in the head for Bond at the first opportunity, even before he makes it to the island. If you really must go through the ludicrous “Good evening, Mr Bond, I’ve been expecting you” rigmarole, and have him sit down first to a succulent dinner cooked by a psychopathic dwarf and then handcuff him and suspend him ov... See more
I thought about it, but quickly realised it would be a difficult caper. I would have been much smarter and more expedient than the likes of Dr No and Goldfinger, though. So, a bullet in the head for Bond at the first opportunity, even before he makes it to the island. If you really must go through the ludicrous “Good evening, Mr Bond, I’ve been expecting you” rigmarole, and have him sit down first to a succulent dinner cooked by a psychopathic dwarf and then handcuff him and suspend him over a tank full of alligators to be lowered down there ever so slowly, that’s your lookout, but please consider that his bikini-clad accomplice will be holding the key to the handcuffs about her person. Yes, I know the lecherous little turd searched that bikini thoroughly, but just think about it, will you?

Too many things could go wrong, which is why I didn’t bother in the end. Mostly logistics and supplies. Where DO you buy one of those giant electronic world maps that rises noiselessly up from the floor at the touch of a button to show Washington, New York, London, Moscow and all the rest, with all the flashing lights and arrows at the launch pads? Without raising any suspicion, I mean. So you can hardly make an enquiry at Walmart’s special requirements desk. Who DO you go to with the specifications for that alligator tank? And are there one-stop shops for alligator tanks, or do you have to buy the tank from one supplier and the reptiles from an alligator purveyor?

Not to mention the staff you’d need. What can you do but put an ad in the paper? “Help wanted on remote island. Free transportation and live-in conditions. Job involves taking copious notes on clipboards and studying parameters on giant wall screens. Knowledge of nuclear systems and haute cuisine an advantage. Occasional machine-gunning required during contingencies, and candidates must feel comfortable around alligators. We are an equal opportunities employer, and welcome applications from the vertically and dentally challenged."
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas
Liviu-Lee Roth
P.L.F. Persio
Christine Andersen
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 10:18
Chinese to English
+ ...
. May 20, 2020

I would like to answer musician, but then I remember that I'm only able to do that because of the money I make in translation.

Jocelin Meunier
Jocelin Meunier  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
. May 20, 2020

Before I studied languages, I actually did some internships in a bookshop and a library. Owning a bookshop would definitely be my second choice.

P.L.F. Persio

Tradwind (X)
Tradwind (X)
France
English to French
+ ...
Gardener May 21, 2020

Growing tomatoes (which I am doing right now as my work as translator had dried up the last two months).

P.L.F. Persio

Cátia Cassiano
Cátia Cassiano  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 13:18
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
Maybe a teacher Jul 2, 2020

O love helping others and share ideas and knowledge.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Being a librarian is possibly overrated! Jul 2, 2020

I am not sure I would really want to go back to my old job as a librarian, and they are not what they used to be when I trained, before the days of the Internet!! Still, there are lots of different kinds of libraries, and with all those lovely colleagues, maybe we could set up a library the way we wanted it!

Sheila could organise the IT so that it was useful and not a pain, and perhaps there would be enough of us just to work flexi-time when it suited us.

Otherwise I ha
... See more
I am not sure I would really want to go back to my old job as a librarian, and they are not what they used to be when I trained, before the days of the Internet!! Still, there are lots of different kinds of libraries, and with all those lovely colleagues, maybe we could set up a library the way we wanted it!

Sheila could organise the IT so that it was useful and not a pain, and perhaps there would be enough of us just to work flexi-time when it suited us.

Otherwise I have reached the age where my ambition is to be an active grandmother and pensioner. Spending time behind the scenes at a local charity shop and museums, perhaps, or as an occasional caterer for private parties.

In practice, I think I will keep on translating as long as my clients are satisfied!
Collapse

mughwI
mughwI
United States
Local time: 22:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Best of All Worlds Jul 2, 2020

Billionaire Philanthropist.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kay Denney

Elva Zhu
Elva Zhu
Malaysia
Local time: 10:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
Chinese Language teacher Aug 25, 2020

I love teaching kids as well.

David Lin

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Also a criminal investigation profiler Aug 25, 2020

I said before I would like to be a foreign correspondent, but upon reflection, a profiler in criminal investigation is what suits me best.

Didi18
Didi18
United States
Local time: 19:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
World traveler, painter and writer Aug 30, 2020

I always wanted to travel around the world. I still do. Hopefully after the pandemic I will.

In the meantime, I'm doing more writing and painting while I'm indoors.

Oh, and rich. Definitely rich.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
🎵 Aug 31, 2020

Something in the music industry. Possibly recording/mixing/playing/composing

[Edited at 2020-08-31 08:43 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

If you weren't a translator / interpreter, what would you like to be?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »