Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:00
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Mar 13, 2021

Hello dear Colleagues,

Google Translate API was fine up to the last spring. Then I didn't use it for a while. Now it is needed again, but it doesn't work (in DVX2 licensed and 3 free one). Google API's usual monthly bills ceased from coming as well.
Can anybody enlighten me about this matter? Thanks in advance

3089491 (X)
3089491 (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Local time: 19:00
Random (automatic) unsubscribing Mar 14, 2021

Never used that API, but experienced automatic unsubscribing with Google Pay.

The funny thing is that, after I re-subscribed, I was unsubscribed again. It is about the RAR archive extractor. True, as a matter of fact, I cannot reasonably expect I will need it again in the near future.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
API works fine for me Mar 14, 2021

Gennady Lapardin wrote:
Google Translate API was fine up to the last spring. Then I didn't use it for a while. Now it is needed again, but it doesn't work (in DVX2 licensed and 3 free one). Google API's usual monthly bills ceased from coming as well.

I use Google Translate (with the API key) every week. Could it be that you're using an incorrect API key? You can test the key using e.g. my little AutoIt script.

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply#1 Mar 14, 2021

Thank you boys.

Samuel, your script's advice is that the key would have been expired and I should renew it, which looks questionable.
Google has changed its API interface since when I visited it the last time few years ago, and I fail to find the right way

[Edited at 2021-03-14 12:29 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-14 12:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-14 12:34 GMT]

Dmitrij_1980 (X)
Dmitrij_1980 (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to German
Tutorials on youtube Mar 14, 2021

If you search on youtube for "google translate API", you can find many tutorials, how to create the API key. For the first time, the configuration of the google cloud services can be verry confusing, but when you have done this a few times, it will be very simple, to create projects in google cloud services.

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply#2 Mar 14, 2021

Hello Dmitrij_1980,

On the opening page "Cloud Translation API - Google - Integrates text translation into your website or application." under "Pricing" I read 45 USD (I am afraid this is money, no? )) ) per hour, at https : / / console . cloud . google . com / apis / library / translate . googleapis . com

This scares me. Perhaps, I should log in to Google under new name and get 7 free projects credit instead of 24 ones which are granted me now?

This is bef
... See more
Hello Dmitrij_1980,

On the opening page "Cloud Translation API - Google - Integrates text translation into your website or application." under "Pricing" I read 45 USD (I am afraid this is money, no? )) ) per hour, at https : / / console . cloud . google . com / apis / library / translate . googleapis . com

This scares me. Perhaps, I should log in to Google under new name and get 7 free projects credit instead of 24 ones which are granted me now?

This is before coming to API key story proper.
=========
As for Google Cloud Translation (GCT) API key itself:

at https : // console . cloud . google . com / apis / credentials I clicked "+ CREATE CREDENTIALS", then, from the same page, copied new API key into Samuel's script file name. Got the same #13 Error with the following content:

code:
▼ message:
"Cloud Translation API has not been used in project 111111111111 before or it is disabled. Enable it by visiting https:‘//consoLe.deveLopers.googLe.com/apis/api/transLate.googLeapis.com/overvie»?project=111111111111 then retry, if you enabled this API recently, wait a few minutes for the action to propagate to our systems and retry."

When I go to the project page, I get the error "Server not found". When I wait "for the action to propagate" nothing happens, API key doesn't work.

[Edited at 2021-03-14 18:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-14 18:30 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-14 18:31 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Gennady Mar 14, 2021

Gennady Lapardin wrote:
Samuel, your script's advice is that the key would have been expired and I should renew it, which looks questionable.

If you received such a message, it was not the script's own error message but a message that was sent by Google itself. My script is not intelligent enough to determine exactly why Google is unhappy with any given request.

Gennady Lapardin

Dmitrij_1980 (X)
Dmitrij_1980 (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Russian to German
20$/1M charakters Mar 15, 2021

No, 45$ is the wrong option. There must be an option 20$/1M charakters (1 Million), thats the correct one. So you have to pay only 20$ for 1 million charakters. But I also recommend you to try out the DeepL API and the Microsoft translation API. In Microsoft translate API you can have 500.000 or 1.000.000 (i don´t exactly remember) characters per month for free! And DeepL you can try out one month for free. But be careful, if you don´t quit the testsubscription, it will be automaticly extendet... See more
No, 45$ is the wrong option. There must be an option 20$/1M charakters (1 Million), thats the correct one. So you have to pay only 20$ for 1 million charakters. But I also recommend you to try out the DeepL API and the Microsoft translation API. In Microsoft translate API you can have 500.000 or 1.000.000 (i don´t exactly remember) characters per month for free! And DeepL you can try out one month for free. But be careful, if you don´t quit the testsubscription, it will be automaticly extendet up to 1 year or 1 month. Depends on, which one you choose, when starting the testsubscription.Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
reply#3 Mar 15, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Could it be that you're using an incorrect API key? You can test the key using e.g. my little AutoIt script.

Thank you very much for your script, Samuel,

the key finally works and receives the messages like this:

Translated file completed
3285 lines sent to Google, and translation saved to
X:\XX\XX.txt
Estimated cost: USD 1.1622

[Edited at 2021-03-15 19:11 GMT]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Google Translate API is down

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »