Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Job postings update: What can be improved about display of job postings?
Thread poster: Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:51
SITE FOUNDER
Jun 25, 2018

Hi all,

Having recently released an alpha version of a new directory, the ProZ.com site team is now getting ready to update the job posting system.

What requests, if any, do you have in connection with the search and display of job postings? (We'll ask later about other aspects of the job posting system; first, we are working on display.)

We have alrea
... See more
Hi all,

Having recently released an alpha version of a new directory, the ProZ.com site team is now getting ready to update the job posting system.

What requests, if any, do you have in connection with the search and display of job postings? (We'll ask later about other aspects of the job posting system; first, we are working on display.)

We have already reviewed the suggestions in the ProZ.com User Voice suggestions interface. (Thanks for those!)

I'm posting this in inclusive / "short" format. That means the length and number of postings is limited. I'm hoping to get input from variety of people.
Collapse

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Include country in the emails Jun 25, 2018

I think we have asked for this before. In the notification email that is sent out by the system when someone posts a job, please include the country of the poster. That way, if it is from one of those countries that I definitely do not do business with, I could ignore/delete the email right away, without having to go to the website, click on the job post and finding it there, or sometimes having to go a step further, to the Blue Board just to see the country of the company.
Katalin

mariealpilles
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Jack Doughty
Monica M.
Tomasz Sienicki
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Christel Zipfel

mariealpilles
mariealpilles  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:51
Member (2014)
English to French
+ ...
improvement in the job posting system Jun 25, 2018

I would also suggest no job can be posted below a minimum rate or be accepted if it stipulates 'the client is not so much interested in quality and is looking for a student'. This is supposed to be a professional site, hence no amateurs should be allowed to post on it. A job poster from Europe should also not be allowed to post jos in US$, etc... The rules should be stricter. It is so ridiculous to see jobs at US$ 0.03 or even less.

Mirko Mainardi
Connected Tr (X)
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
José Henrique Lamensdorf
Josephine Cassar
Annamaria Sondrio
Yvonne Gallagher

Jo Macdonald
Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
A disable/enable "Proz Member" mass mails option Jun 25, 2018

This way if someone isn’t interested in receiving mass mails they could disable "Proz Member" mass mails, and if someone else does want to receive mass mails they could enable them.

Monica M.
Vera Schoen
Andrea Muller (X)
Helen Shiner
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:51
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Changes to "search and display" only, or the job posting interface in general? Jun 25, 2018

I rarely visit my home page or the jobs page, and even more rarely do a search of jobs, so I don't have much to say about them except that it's often difficult or even impossible to find a job that I remember receiving a notification about a while ago.

However, I do get notifications by email of any job that falls within my service area. We could do with knowing something about the client without having to go to the website page: client's name, location
... See more
I rarely visit my home page or the jobs page, and even more rarely do a search of jobs, so I don't have much to say about them except that it's often difficult or even impossible to find a job that I remember receiving a notification about a while ago.

However, I do get notifications by email of any job that falls within my service area. We could do with knowing something about the client without having to go to the website page: client's name, location and LWA. Also, I sometimes receive an email with a header that looks interesting, so I follow the link to the website, only to find a requirement for the translator to be on-site in London or Geneva or wherever. I feel a little peeved that I wasn't told that earlier. Can anything be done about that?

In case you're doing a more general update of the job system, I'll repeat my plea for the ability to store job posts. I said above that I often can't find jobs I remember having an interest in. It seems that many jobs are removed from the board, and my memory ain't what it used to be . I've had more than one email saying something like "You quoted for a job of ours last xxx. We'd filled that job but we have a similar one. Would you be interested?" I can find my quote, with the ProZ.com job number, but I don't have any recollection of the job they're talking about, so I'm at a real disadvantage.

NB: You asked for succinct and the above isn't very, so I've highlighted the actual requests. HTH
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
Sarah Lewis-Morgan

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Anti-whiner measures Jun 25, 2018

Include the option of filtering by rate, so those who feel offended by low rates can stop seeing low-rate posts and finally stop whining.

MK2010
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

Alistair Gainey
Alistair Gainey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
A minimum 'job size' Jun 25, 2018

If we're going to take the trouble to bid for a job, that job should be a reasonable size. We really shouldn't be expected to enter a global bidding war just to translate a birth certificate.

[Edited at 2018-06-25 10:25 GMT]

Mirko Mainardi
MK2010
Yvonne Gallagher

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
State whether the job poster is an agency, a private individual or a company Jun 25, 2018

This might be very helpful.

Mirko Mainardi
marion erdin
Sheila Wilson
Monica M.
mughwI
Yvonne Gallagher
Nikki Scott-Despaigne

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:51
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Demand target language variants with AND/OR Jun 25, 2018

Job poster, upon selecting a target language that HAS variants (not the case with e.g Hungarian, Polish, etc.) must:
a) select the desired variant(s); and, if more than one has been selected,
b) select if it's an AND (one job for each variant) or an OR (any of the selected options will do) criterion.

For example:
i) EN-UK OR EN-ZA (either one); or
ii) PT-PT AND PT-BR (two jobs)

Include timeline control warnings for the job poster.
Fo
... See more
Job poster, upon selecting a target language that HAS variants (not the case with e.g Hungarian, Polish, etc.) must:
a) select the desired variant(s); and, if more than one has been selected,
b) select if it's an AND (one job for each variant) or an OR (any of the selected options will do) criterion.

For example:
i) EN-UK OR EN-ZA (either one); or
ii) PT-PT AND PT-BR (two jobs)

Include timeline control warnings for the job poster.
For instance, there is no point in letting them post a 3,000-word translation job with quoting deadline only two hours before delivery deadline.
I mean, the system can calculate and advise "This will leave at least two hours for the latest poster to do the job. Is it feasible?" (No need for the system to assess feasibility, leave it to the job poster.)

Include short messaging as an option (they can turn it ON/OFF) for job posters.
They'd enable non-qualifying candidates to send SHORT (200 char limit) messages, like:
"You demand Trados, but I could do this job with MemoQ."
"You request InDesign, but I could do directly it on a PDF file."
"Can you be more specific about it being 'technical'. What subject?"
"Do you really need the video transcribed, or just the (translated) subtitles?"

Poster would get the message and be able to:
1. "clear" that potential applicant so they can bid, in spite of not matching some requirement
2. send that potential applicant an equally short message, like "cardiology" (subject).

In case of sworn/certified translations, require destination country selection from job poster.
Collapse

Mirko Mainardi
Thomas T. Frost
marion erdin

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Can you clarify, Jo? Jun 25, 2018

Thanks, everyone. Kevin is incorporating these suggestions into his development.

Jo Macdonald wrote:

A disable/enable "Proz Member" mass mails option

This way if someone isn’t interested in receiving mass mails they could disable "Proz Member" mass mails, and if someone else does want to receive mass mails they could enable them.

We did not understand this posting, Jo. Could you clarify what you mean by "'Proz Member' mass mails"?

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I'm not Jo, but... Jun 25, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Jo Macdonald wrote:

We did not understand this posting, Jo. Could you clarify what you mean by "'Proz Member' mass mails"?

We receive lots of mass e-mails with job offers. E-mails addressed to tens or hundreds translators. Outsourcers do this to save time, instead of sending individual e-mails.

You could introduce a box for the outsourcer to tick to indicate that the job will be offered to several translators. Then you can provide us - the translators - the possibility to opt out of mass e-mails by ticking another box...

Mirko Mainardi
Jo Macdonald
Monica M.

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
TOPIC STARTER
Group mails sent via directory? Jun 25, 2018

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

Henry Dotterer wrote:

Jo Macdonald wrote:

We receive lots of mass e-mails with job offers. E-mails addressed to tens or hundreds translators. Outsourcers do this to save time, instead of sending individual e-mails.

You could introduce a box for the outsourcer to tick to indicate that the job will be offered to several translators. Then you can provide us - the translators - the possibility to opt out of mass e-mails by ticking another box...

OK. Still not sure I understand, though.

There are four main ways right now in which you might get an email about a job opportunity:

(1) Someone posts a job, and based on your profile data and settings, you receive an email alert of that job posting.
(2) Someone uses the directory, goes to your profile, and clicks a button to send you (personally) an email message.
(3) Someone using the directory clicks a number of people and sends a "group message" to them.
(4) Someone builds a "List" and sends a message to the list. (This is very similar to (3)).

Only in the case of (1) is there a job posting.

Are you talking about the situation of (3)/(4)? In this case, there is no job posting.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Various Jun 25, 2018

1. Always display number of quotes received per combination, regardless of contact method.

2. Always display target language variant(s).

3. Require the client to be more specific about the type of source text.

4. Often, the client selects a translator before the stated quoting deadline. Could quotes be withheld by the system until the quoting deadline to give everybody a chance? This should probably be optional, but if such an option is not selected, it sho
... See more
1. Always display number of quotes received per combination, regardless of contact method.

2. Always display target language variant(s).

3. Require the client to be more specific about the type of source text.

4. Often, the client selects a translator before the stated quoting deadline. Could quotes be withheld by the system until the quoting deadline to give everybody a chance? This should probably be optional, but if such an option is not selected, it should be displayed that the client is likely to select the first suitable candidate.

5. Always display the number of translators who have had the job emailed (per combination). [Edit: applies to all 4 of Henry's categories].

6. Separate requirements for software and format, and focus on the format. If the client just wants an sdlppx or sdlxliff translated, there is usually no need to demand Trados, as it can be done by other software. Ask the client only to select specific software if there is a genuine reason.

7. In case of long-term collaboration sought, the job-specific fields should be disabled, as deadline, word count, etc. are irrelevant for long-term collaboration.

[Edited at 2018-06-25 12:31 GMT]
Collapse

Luca Tutino

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:51
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nothing Jun 25, 2018

The current system works perfectly fine for the few people who have need for it, and most of the [redacted] suggestions given in this thread will do far more harm than good. It is an unimportant feature and you should reach an acceptable stage with your other projects before starting any other new things.

Daniel Frisano

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
#3 Jun 25, 2018

Henry Dotterer wrote:

(3) Someone using the directory clicks a number of people and sends a "group message" to them.

Henry, method #3 is used mainly to send group job offers... can we opt out of group messages, then? i.e. box with "I do not wish to receive group messages" you can tick...

Jo Macdonald
Monica M.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job postings update: What can be improved about display of job postings?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »