Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >
Announcing time zone and date/time localization
Thread poster: Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 04:55
SITE STAFF
Nov 18, 2008

It is now possible to see all dates and times on ProZ.com in your preferred time zone and format. You can change the way dates and times appear to you on ProZ.com by adjusting your date and time display preferences. In addition to setting your time zone, you can specify whether you prefer to see times using a 12- or 24-hour clock, for example.

To edit your date and time preferences, click the time zone link in the current time that is shown at the top of each page. (You can also edi
... See more
It is now possible to see all dates and times on ProZ.com in your preferred time zone and format. You can change the way dates and times appear to you on ProZ.com by adjusting your date and time display preferences. In addition to setting your time zone, you can specify whether you prefer to see times using a 12- or 24-hour clock, for example.

To edit your date and time preferences, click the time zone link in the current time that is shown at the top of each page. (You can also edit this from the profile editor and various other places). When possible, an attempt was made to guess time zones by country and previously configured time zone offset (if any).

With a few exceptions, all times on the site should now be shown in your configured time zone and format. Any exceptions should have the time zone (GMT) explicitly stated.

Answers to frequently asked questions will be posted here: http://www.proz.com/faq/time

Please report any issues with these new date and time preferences in this forum topic.

Thanks,

Jason
ProZ.com Team
Collapse

Ebrahim Ebrahim
ImanZa
Magda Bakir
kwansirinak2
Sidie Talib
Flora Sih Ngam
Mohamed Nunow

Spiros Doikas
Spiros Doikas  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:55
Member (2002)
English to Greek
+ ...
Thanks Jason! Nov 18, 2008

I have confirmed the time zone (which was guessed correctly)

kwansirinak2
Mohamed Nunow
Abdisa
thirdyancis2

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 05:55
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Can´t we have the previous setting? Nov 18, 2008

Hi Jason,

I´d like to have the previous setting. GMT Time in the upper section of the page and local time shown in my profile.
It seems that´s not possible any more.

If I change the upper time display to GMT, the local time in my profile changes too.
I´m used to calculating the time in Europe by glancing at the upper part of Proz.com page, sorry.

Is it too much trouble to have the previous setting back for those who want it?

Rega
... See more
Hi Jason,

I´d like to have the previous setting. GMT Time in the upper section of the page and local time shown in my profile.

If I change the upper time display to GMT, the local time in my profile changes too.
I´m used to calculating the time in Europe by glancing at the upper part of Proz.com page, sorry.

Is it too much trouble to have the previous setting back for those who want it?

Regards,
Marina
Collapse

Saleem Al-Nasar
Ingrid Bastos
kwansirinak2
Abdisa

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:55
English to Albanian
+ ...
Guessed timezone Nov 18, 2008

Well, currently I do live in Kosovo and I can't select as country where I reside Kosovo so I.

So I do select Tirana's time zone.

I have also other problems because if I pay to membership then on the invoice my address is as country Albania.

Ingrid Bastos
kwansirinak2
Abdisa

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Option could be provided to show GMT time in page heading Nov 18, 2008

Marina Soldati wrote:

Hi Marina,

An option could be provided to show the GMT time in the page heading, instead of (or perhaps in addition to) the local time. Other site times would still be shown to you in your local time. Would this resolve the issue for you?

Best regards,

Jason

kwansirinak2

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Country lists based on ISO standard Nov 18, 2008

Ahmet Murati wrote:
Well, currently I do live in Kosovo and I can't select as country where I reside Kosovo so I.

So I do select Tirana's time zone.

I have also other problems because if I pay to membership then on the invoice my address is as country Albania.

Hi Ahmet,

ProZ.com uses the ISO-3166 standard for the list of countries and country codes shown on the site. (The time zone database used to map countries to time zones here uses the same ISO standard.) When Kosovo is added to this ISO standard, ProZ.com will add it as well.

It looks like Tirana observes the same daylight savings time rules as Kosovo, so that would be a good choice for your time zone until then.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Jason

kwansirinak2

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thank you! Nov 18, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

Hi Marina,

An option could be provided to show the GMT time in the page heading, instead of (or perhaps in addition to) the local time. Other site times would still be shown to you in your local time. Would this resolve the issue for you?

Best regards,

Jason

Yes, Jason, to have both times would be great.
Thanks for responsing so quickly.

Marina

kwansirinak2

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 02:55
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanx! Nov 18, 2008

Great feature, now I will not have to add or sustract times

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Added option to also show GMT time at top of page Nov 19, 2008

An option has been added to the date and time preferences form to also show site time in GMT at the top of each page. Marina, please let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Thanks,

Jason

kwansirinak2

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Thanks Jason! This is neat! Nov 20, 2008

It always kind of bugged me to see the GMT displayed - that is totally out of touch with my reality, which is GMT -5. I am happy I can now see the local time on ProZ.

Thanks, Jason!

Kristina Kolic
Kristina Kolic  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
GMT & local time Nov 20, 2008

Thank you, Jason, for this new improvement.

Displaying both GMT and local time in the page heading is very useful and makes it much easier to calculate the time difference, in particular when quoting for a job.

kwansirinak2

Marina Soldati
Argentina
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Perfect! Nov 20, 2008

Jason Grimes wrote:

An option has been added to the date and time preferences form to also show site time in GMT at the top of each page. Marina, please let me know if this is what you were looking for.

Thanks,

Jason

Thanks Jason, this is what I wanted.

Marina

kwansirinak2

David Williams
David Williams
Germany
German to English
Good, but... Nov 20, 2008

It's very good that we can now set our time zone settings etc., but does it only affect the time displayed at the top of the pages, or also correct the times given for when a question was posted, for example? I previously thought this must be governed by where the ProZ server is, but it never correlated with reality (according to my system clock etc.).

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:55
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Great feature indeed! Nov 21, 2008

I recall that had proposed it to the staff several months ago and ... now it happily works! Great indeed!

But, as with vairous profile page options, it could also be made so that:
1) Show the time both GMT and local in two different colors.
2) Up to a certain selection made by member, show the time dimmed. Or make it simply blinking...
3) "Time is money". Therefore it would be good to use bold.:)
4) The feature of showing (or choosing) the same local time zo
... See more
I recall that had proposed it to the staff several months ago and ... now it happily works! Great indeed!

But, as with vairous profile page options, it could also be made so that:
1) Show the time both GMT and local in two different colors.
2) Up to a certain selection made by member, show the time dimmed. Or make it simply blinking...
3) "Time is money". Therefore it would be good to use bold.:)
4) The feature of showing (or choosing) the same local time zone for viewer (I mean the job posts and fora posts) is also a thing to be discussed. Maths there is not too complicated and can be readily inserted. ...I could see there a radio button which helps to switch between the two times (say GMT and Local) to the left from the time indicator.

In any case, the feature is super!!! Many thanks and up to new introductions:)
Yours, as ever,
T.

[Редактировалось 2008-11-21 08:20 GMT]
Collapse

Ali Bayraktar
Ali Bayraktar  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Member (2007)
English to Turkish
+ ...
What if putting it under the photo Nov 28, 2008

I think putting this under the photo (next to Country or under) would be more useful.

Because now the only way seeing somebody's time we should visit his/her page, but if you put it under the photo we can see it in Forum posts, in KudoZ and also in directories (of course with some modifications)

Just an idea

Regards,

M. Ali

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing time zone and date/time localization

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »