Improvements to "What I am working on", Project History, and keyword directory search
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 04:19
SITE STAFF
Sep 19, 2019

Hello all,

Some recent minor improvements have been made to better connect the "What I am working on" feature (WIWO) with the Project History feature in profiles, and to help you better market yourself in your areas of expertise to potential clients and collaborators through both.

In relation to these improvements, an adjustment has been made in the Find directory to help clients find you based on the projects you have worked on.

... See more
Hello all,

Some recent minor improvements have been made to better connect the "What I am working on" feature (WIWO) with the Project History feature in profiles, and to help you better market yourself in your areas of expertise to potential clients and collaborators through both.

In relation to these improvements, an adjustment has been made in the Find directory to help clients find you based on the projects you have worked on.

1. "What I am working on" (WIWO)

You can now:

• indicate payment and client information in your WIWOs, and keep this information private (default) or make it public if you choose,
  • specify the service type of the project you are entering (tranlsation, interpreting, proofreading, transcreation, etc.),
  • save WIWOs to be displayed in the Project History section of your profile.

Save_skinny_pants2_600

By the way, during September the number of "What I am working on" entries reached the 50,000 mark.

See what others are working on and add your own projects (member-only feature) »

2. Project History

ProZ.com members can drag and drop their projects to change the order in which they will appear to visitors directly from their profile. This may be useful if you have a long list of projects entered and wish to highlight a few which you feel are particularly representative of your area(s) of expertise.

PH_reorder_600

Add projects to your ProZ.com profile »

3. Directory searches by term now take into account projects reported

When searching using the ProZ.com Find directory, clients can choose to do a term/keyword search, which will now search through project titles in both WIWOs and Project Histories of ProZ.com members . Entering good, representative titles for your projects will enable clients to more easily find you in these cases.

Find_skinny_pants_600

Jared

Collapse

Susanne Gläsel
Susanne Gläsel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:19
Member (2019)
English to German
+ ...
WIWO with image and representative terms Sep 19, 2019

Hi Jared,

Thanks for updating us about the new features. The last time that I posted my WIWO I included representative terms and an image. However, after posting the WIWO the representative terms were shown but my image was not shown/visible on the ProZ index page. Is it possible to show both the image and the representative terms on the ProZ index page?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Susanne

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 04:19
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Probably a space consideration for the home page Sep 23, 2019

Susanne Gläsel wrote:

Hi Jared,

Thanks for updating us about the new features. The last time that I posted my WIWO I included representative terms and an image. However, after posting the WIWO the representative terms were shown but my image was not shown/visible on the ProZ index page. Is it possible to show both the image and the representative terms on the ProZ index page?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,
Susanne

Hi Susanne,

Thanks for the feedback. My guess is that this was done to mitigate somewhat the space a WIWO with an image might take up on the home page (which has me asking the question, "Is a WIWO picture worth a thousand representative terms?" ). I'll look into it.

Jared

Susanne Gläsel
Susanne Gläsel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:19
Member (2019)
English to German
+ ...
Images draw more attention on the index than representative terms Oct 14, 2019

Hi Jared,

Thanks for your quick reply. I can certainly understand that an image might take up a lot of space on the index. However, your explanation doesn't make perfect sense because when I leave out the representative terms the image is shown on the index all the time. So, I don't know if it is really intentional that the image is not shown when representative terms and image are added to the WIWO. I mean it's just five (not a thousand) representative terms per WIWO and that does
... See more
Hi Jared,

Thanks for your quick reply. I can certainly understand that an image might take up a lot of space on the index. However, your explanation doesn't make perfect sense because when I leave out the representative terms the image is shown on the index all the time. So, I don't know if it is really intentional that the image is not shown when representative terms and image are added to the WIWO. I mean it's just five (not a thousand) representative terms per WIWO and that does not really increase the space taken up a lot. You explanation would make sense if there were never any images shown on the index but this is not the case. I totally agree that the representative terms are very important and more effective than an image when clients are searching for relevant terms to find a suitable translator for their project on ProZ. However, on the index, the image significantly increases my visibility on the ProZ platfrom because the index is basically a page containing almost only words. Thus, if you have an image shown, you really stand out from the crowd on the index page. This is why, I actually would prefer the image to be shown on the index. They would just click on my name because the image made them curious and then, they could also see my profile and all my other WIWOs with the representative terms.

Thanks a lot for looking into it. Have a lovely week ahead.

Best regards,
Susanne
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improvements to "What I am working on", Project History, and keyword directory search

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »