Now you can add per minute rates
Thread poster: Hayjor Roca
Hayjor Roca
Hayjor Roca
Local time: 16:40
SITE STAFF
Sep 9, 2020

Hi all,

I hope you are doing well and staying safe.

In an effort to provide language professionals with the tools to grow their businesses and to find the right client, we have implemented new changes on the profile that will allow them to report rates based on per audio/video minute. This change, along with the option for outsourcers to report rates based on audio/video minute on their job postings will allow professionals to filter job notifications below their minimu
... See more
Hi all,

I hope you are doing well and staying safe.

In an effort to provide language professionals with the tools to grow their businesses and to find the right client, we have implemented new changes on the profile that will allow them to report rates based on per audio/video minute. This change, along with the option for outsourcers to report rates based on audio/video minute on their job postings will allow professionals to filter job notifications below their minimum on projects based on per minute rates.

To report your per minute rates the only thing you need to do is edit your general rates, and also your language pair specific rates by clicking on "Edit rates" for each language pair you have reported and enter your minimum and target per audio/video minute rates.

For outsourcers

On the other hand, if you are an outsourcer looking for a professional to complete an audiovisual translation project, or any other project that should be charged per minute, you can now enter the per minute rate you offer in the budget section of the job posting form, whether you use the old or the new one. In that way, you can share in a clearer way all the information about your project and find in an easier way the best candidate for your job posting.

If you have any questions regarding this or any other matter, please feel free to contact site staff.

Best regards,
Hayjor Roca
Collapse

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
English to German
+ ...
Translators first! I don't think so. Sep 9, 2020

Hayjor Roca wrote:

On the other hand, if you are an outsourcer looking for a professional to complete an audiovisual translation project, or any other project that should be charged per minute, you can now enter the per minute rate you offer in the budget section of the job posting form, whether you use the old or the new one. In that way, you can share in a clearer way all the information about your project and find in an easier way the best candidate for your job posting.
Best regards,
Hayjor Roca

Excuse me when I say I don't support this at all. It's a continuation of encouraging job posters to pay substandard rates to translators. As seen on the job board already. You say you don't get involved with rates being charged. But substandard rates are published and demanded on your platform every day; have so for 20 years really. Good rates have become the proverbial needle in the haystack. After 14 years, there's nothing your concept does for me as a professional translator at all anymore. Sorry to say.

Your policy used to be translator first! and that translators should ALWAYS! be in control of rates.

I 'll be in control of my rates. But not thanks to your help.

[Edited at 2020-09-09 18:02 GMT]

Robert Forstag
expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:40
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Please adapt the low-budget message to cater for these various rates Sep 9, 2020

Something that I currently see from time to time on job posts is that the "low budget" message appears far too often for proofreading/editing jobs. It's perfectly normal for an editing job to have a far lower rate per word than a translation job, particularly when it's monolingual proofreading. If the check as to whether the budget per word is too low could be ignored for proofreading/editing jobs, that would be great. Alternatively, ask us what our minimum rate per word is for that service and ... See more
Something that I currently see from time to time on job posts is that the "low budget" message appears far too often for proofreading/editing jobs. It's perfectly normal for an editing job to have a far lower rate per word than a translation job, particularly when it's monolingual proofreading. If the check as to whether the budget per word is too low could be ignored for proofreading/editing jobs, that would be great. Alternatively, ask us what our minimum rate per word is for that service and use that.

I don't know whether or not this is likely to be a problem with this new functionality. But I wanted to make the point -- again .
Collapse

expressisverbis
Christel Zipfel

Hayjor Roca
Hayjor Roca
Local time: 16:40
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your comments and suggestions Sep 10, 2020

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Something that I currently see from time to time on job posts is that the "low budget" message appears far too often for proofreading/editing jobs. It's perfectly normal for an editing job to have a far lower rate per word than a translation job, particularly when it's monolingual proofreading. If the check as to whether the budget per word is too low could be ignored for proofreading/editing jobs, that would be great. Alternatively, ask us what our minimum rate per word is for that service and use that.

I don't know whether or not this is likely to be a problem with this new functionality. But I wanted to make the point -- again .

Thanks for your comments, Sheila.

We are working on some improvements related to what you mention and your suggestion is actually very helpful. So, I've taken note for a possible implementation in the near future.

Stay safe!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Now you can add per minute rates

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »