Asus Webstorage - can I trust the backup feature?
Thread poster: Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 23, 2020

Hi, I just got lured to subscribe to Asus Webstorage. I knew it is not fast, but I thought it might be useful as a chip secondary backup system, independent from my manual system, at least for my most important folders. As I have started using it, I noticed that features are a bare minimum, that help links to a support website which is permanently down and the interface does not give much control on the backup status.

I wonder if anybody is using it and happy with it.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:44
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No, you can't trust it Dec 26, 2020

ASUS WebStorage abused to spy on users at the router level

https://tinyurl.com/yybgozle

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uninstalled Dec 27, 2020

Thank you Tom. It looks pretty dangerous!

I have just seen your reply, uninstalled the program and started a full AV scan (2h to go). In the mean-time, I could not find any remedial additional action advised on the web. Now I am shutting off my internet connection and Tomorrow I will consider if I should restore my full backup copy on external USB. That one is certainly unaffected (unplugged), but I would lose a couple of weeks of important files.

[Edited at 2020-12-27 02:50
... See more
Thank you Tom. It looks pretty dangerous!

I have just seen your reply, uninstalled the program and started a full AV scan (2h to go). In the mean-time, I could not find any remedial additional action advised on the web. Now I am shutting off my internet connection and Tomorrow I will consider if I should restore my full backup copy on external USB. That one is certainly unaffected (unplugged), but I would lose a couple of weeks of important files.

[Edited at 2020-12-27 02:50 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asus Webstorage - can I trust the backup feature?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »