Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Local time: 18:10
Romanian to English
+ ...
Yes, there is a possibility Jun 15, 2020

jyuan_us wrote:

You need to give your user ID and password you use to log into your account to a scammer for him to take money from your account.

Did any potential scammer ask your your login ID or password?

The scammer sends you a request and an attached document to translate. IF the attachment has a ”keylogger” embedded, all your accounts are compromised because it ”reads” your usernames and passwords and they are not confidential anymore.

Stay safe
lee

Becca Resnik

Denis Rodionov
Denis Rodionov  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:10
English to Russian
+ ...
Same text about coastal systems: Der Einfluss des Klimawandels auf die Küsten-Meer-Ökosysteme Jun 16, 2020

I suspect I've recently been contacted by the same scammers, in my case it was from:
Author: Alyssa Ronnie [NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 196.240.57.76

I googled the IP address and found it in the site Scamalytics, where it figured as a probable source of scams.

So, I recommend this site, where one can also report scammers.

Becca Resnik
Liviu-Lee Roth

Constance Hubbard
Constance Hubbard
United States
Local time: 16:10
German to English
Me too Sep 15, 2020

I got the email from Glory Manitee. She wanted the text about climate change translated and offered to pay by check or wire transfer. I assume this is a scam?

Becca Resnik
Liviu-Lee Roth

Becca Resnik
Becca Resnik  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure is! Sep 15, 2020

Constance Hubbard wrote:

I got the email from Glory Manitee. She wanted the text about climate change translated and offered to pay by check or wire transfer. I assume this is a scam?

Yeah, if it's that paper, it sure is. It's quite alive in circulation still, as I just got it again this morning!

Xiao Liu (X)
Xiao Liu (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
I got the same e-mail and text Jun 9, 2021

Thanks for sharing!I got this e-mail several days ago from a non-registered user named Crystal Jordan with IP 196.240.54.60. I looked up this OP address on the internet, it was labelled as highly suspicious...

Becca Resnik

Yehezkel Tenenboim
Yehezkel Tenenboim  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Hebrew
+ ...
#MeToo Jun 11, 2021

Becca Resnik wrote:

It has saved me before to have a chunk of text from a scam posted here, so I'm doing the same. The first line is the name of the document - I thought it was strange that it was in perfect English, but stranger things have happened.

Just got it too. Thanks a lot, Becca!

Becca Resnik

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
for the n-th time! Jun 11, 2021

Xiao Liu wrote:

Thanks for sharing!I got this e-mail several days ago from a non-registered user named Crystal Jordan with IP 196.240.54.60. I looked up this OP address on the internet, it was labelled as highly suspicious...

The narrative of the scam is being sold on the dark web (illegal forums where there are bought and sold thousands of stolen card IDs, narratives for different scams, fake ads for eBay & Craiglist ... and the list goes on). Scammers from all over the world have access to these narratives and post them in bulk. Nothing fancy or elaborate.

Stay safe,
Lee

Yanze Ren (X)
Yanze Ren (X)
Germany
German to Chinese
+ ...
thank you Jun 14, 2021

thank you very much for sharing. I got the same scam form a gmail account.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Fake profile
Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam - German to English, climate change in coastal marine systems

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »