Jan 18, 2021

e.g.: https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/348853-.html

writeaway
Stepan Konev

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Hmmm... Jan 19, 2021

So we think first before posting anything on the internet for the whole world to see?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Educational effort? Jan 19, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

So we think first before posting anything on the internet for the whole world to see?

Do you think that Proz wants to educate us?

[Edited at 2021-01-19 21:58 GMT]

Christel Zipfel
Stepan Konev

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
? Jan 20, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:
Do you think that Proz wants to educate us?

[Edited at 2021-01-19 21:58 GMT]

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. In my own experience, it's pretty common for internet forum boards to not providing delete post function for their members. That's supposed to be the mods' duty. If anyone wanted to delete something they've posted out of regret, then perhaps think about it thoroughly before you hit the "Post Reply" button?

But then again, I am a boomer when it comes to the internet. I'm not familiar with today's social media culture where people just post whatever the heck they want and delete/hide them when things got out of hand.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Like this Jan 31, 2021

In another forum:

1AFC7F3D-36DA-4AF7-B6F2-936F1B9DFF95

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:02
English to Russian
Poor reasoning Jan 31, 2021

Novian Cahyadi wrote:
people just post whatever the heck they want and delete/hide them when things got out of hand.

This sort of reasoning does not make sense: you can easily edit your post to delete/hide 'things that got out of hand'. If I can remove any text from my post in 2 clicks, then why can't I delete the entire empty post?

[Edited at 2021-01-31 18:43 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Recent example Feb 18, 2021

A recent example here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_project_vendor_management/349342-agencies_that_post_projects_on_proz_when_you_are_on_their_books_and_they_are_happy_with_your_work.html

Lots of posts that only contain the text
... See more
A recent example here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/translation_project_vendor_management/349342-agencies_that_post_projects_on_proz_when_you_are_on_their_books_and_they_are_happy_with_your_work.html

Lots of posts that only contain the text deleted.

Why not provide a button to delete posts?

Or, let the Proz portal software run a daily routine that removes all posts that only have the word deleted in their subject line.
Collapse

Dan Lucas

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:02
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Hans Feb 18, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:
Why is there no Delete Post button?

Because it was Friday and the guy who programmed the ProZ.com forum wanted to go home?

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:02
Dutch to English
+ ...
Would that help? Feb 18, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:

A recent example here:

Or, let the Proz portal software run a daily routine that removes all posts that only have the word deleted in their subject line.

If the posts in question were deleted and invisible, the thread as a whole would make very little sense. At least if the posts show up as having been removed readers know they are reading a conversation with some gaps in it and can draw their own conclusions from that.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry, I don't agree Feb 18, 2021

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

A recent example here:

If the posts in question were deleted and invisible, the thread as a whole would make very little sense. At least if the posts show up as having been removed readers know they are reading a conversation with some gaps in it and can draw their own conclusions from that.

Re: "draw their own conclusions", I really had no idea what the poster of these deleted messages had written in the quoted thread. And I don't need or want to know. If he has to tell me something, he can write it. If not, I'm not going to bother to speculate.

I think that it all boils down to the question: who is in charge for someones postings? Should the user be entitled to withdraw her writings? I think that the user is entitled to completely withdraw what she has written.

However, others can quote parts or the whole of her writing. In that case, the right of the quoter has to be respected too .

[Edited at 2021-02-18 09:55 GMT]

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
I just meant ... Feb 18, 2021

Hans Lenting wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

Hans Lenting wrote:

A recent example here:

Re: "draw their own conclusions", I really had no idea what the poster of these deleted messages had written in the quoted thread. And I don't need or want to know. If he has to tell me something, he can write it. If not, I'm not going to bother to speculate.

I think that it all boils down to the question: who is in charge for someones postings? Should the user be entitled to withdraw her writings? I think that the user is entitled to completely withdraw what she has written.

However, others can quote parts or the whole of her writing. In that case, the right of the quoter has to be respected too .

[Edited at 2021-02-18 09:55 GMT]

By "draw their own conclusions" I just meant that readers will be able to make better sense of whatever is left of the thread.

In some cases the disappearance without trace of significant posts might leave subsequent posters' posts looking a bit unhinged as the context for their posts is missing.

Hans Lenting
Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
.. Feb 18, 2021

Rachel Waddington wrote:
In some cases the disappearance without trace of significant posts might leave subsequent posters' posts looking a bit unhinged as the context for their posts is missing.

And the fact that the text of a post has been deleted is in itself potentially useful information.

Having said that, I would like a Delete button.

Dan

Rachel Waddington

Rachel Waddington
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes Feb 18, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:

Rachel Waddington wrote:

And the fact that the text of a post has been deleted is in itself potentially useful information.

Having said that, I would like a Delete button.

Dan

I accidentally posted something four times the other day when I couldn't get the quotation function to work. It would have been nice to be able to delete that!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why is there no Delete Post button?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »