Thread poster: Martin Knuhr
Martin Knuhr
Martin Knuhr  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 16:30
English to German
Apr 20, 2020

Hey everyone,

I recently encountered a problem with Subtitle Edit and was wondering if maybe someone knows a solution, the situation is as follows:

I am using the newest version of Subtitle Edit (free version). Using Subtitle Edit, I translated a timed template of subtitles for a client. The client needed the file in the EBU STL format. So far so good. After translating, I exported the original file (.srt format) to EBU STL.

BUT: Sometimes you have two lin
... See more
Hey everyone,

I recently encountered a problem with Subtitle Edit and was wondering if maybe someone knows a solution, the situation is as follows:

I am using the newest version of Subtitle Edit (free version). Using Subtitle Edit, I translated a timed template of subtitles for a client. The client needed the file in the EBU STL format. So far so good. After translating, I exported the original file (.srt format) to EBU STL.

BUT: Sometimes you have two lines of dialogue (multiple speakers for example) and both lines need to be italicized, like this:

-< i >Hello!< /i >
-< i >Hi, how are you?< /i >

The problem: After converting the .srt to EBU STL, some of the italics I've put in just disappear, like this:

-< i >Hello!
-Hi, how are you?< /i >

I am at my wits end on how to solve this. Converting to PAC for example works like a charm, with all of the italics in place - this error only occurs with EBU STL.
Since the client wants italics for every individual line that has to have Italization, I need it to look like Example 1, but whatever I do, after converting and reopening the EBU STL File, the lines in question always look like Example 2.
Has anyone encountered this problem before and knows a solution/workaround? Thanks in advance!
Collapse

Valentina Roldós
Valentina Roldós
Local time: 12:30
English to Spanish
That's OK. Oct 24, 2020

Hi!

Sorry for the late reply, but I just found this.

That's OK; the tags are only optimized. The result is the same as your initial example.

Rafa Alba
Rafa Alba
Spain
Local time: 16:30
English to Spanish
Same problem Jan 17, 2022

I am having exactly the same problem, any solution?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Subtitle Edit: Problem with italics when converting to EBU STL format

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »