Thread poster: Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein
Nehad Hussein  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:05
English to Arabic
Oct 23, 2018

Hello Dear Colleagues,

A good client of mine has asked to do transcription from PDF. No translation is required. I have not done any similar role but thought it is just a typing assignment. He is offering £15 per hour. I have no clue how reasonable this rate is. Any advice on the rate and what information I need to know before hand.

Thanks and hope to get your answer soon.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:05
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Copy typing plus maybe some DTP Oct 23, 2018

Nehad Hussein wrote:
A good client of mine has asked to do transcription from PDF. No translation is required. I have not done any similar role but thought it is just a typing assignment. He is offering £15 per hour. I have no clue how reasonable this rate is. Any advice on the rate and what information I need to know before hand.

I imagine it's a scanned - probably a poorly scanned - PDF? Maybe you could simply use OCR and some software to produce an editable text and then just tidy it up? Or maybe it would actually be quicker just to sit and touch-type it into a Word file.

Translators aren't necessarily skilled copy-typists, nor are we all skilled at DTP tasks. So while one translator might take one hour (say) on this job, another might take two hours. I think you need to assess the job for yourself, bearing in mind your own skill set. Maybe do a small sample and estimate from that how long the job is likely to take you. Then give your client a total price for the job (rounded up a little to cover any problems) that gives you the income you need per hour. Forget his "offer" - he's the client/customer and he doesn't get to tell you how much your time is worth.

Remember, a copy-typist has just one skill - typing - and it isn't a particularly valued one. Translators have to have an awful lot more skills and knowledge and our time is therefore worth more than a typist's. If your client only wants to pay a typist's rate than he should contact a typist. If he wants you to do it then he must expect to pay your rate.

Colleen Roach, PhD

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Transcription from a PDF file

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »