Thread poster: Ian Kahn
Ian Kahn
Ian Kahn
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
German to English
Jan 25, 2016

Hello!

This is a question for anyone familiar with the BDÜ Association (Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer) in Germany.

I recently reached out to them to ask about membership and gave a history of my experience, education, etc. They wrote back to say that I'm welcome to become a member as long as my German bacherlor's degree is recognized in Germany.

I received a B.A. in German from Rutgers University (in New Jersey) in 2014. Before I started st
... See more
Hello!

This is a question for anyone familiar with the BDÜ Association (Bundesverband der Dolmetscher und Übersetzer) in Germany.

I recently reached out to them to ask about membership and gave a history of my experience, education, etc. They wrote back to say that I'm welcome to become a member as long as my German bacherlor's degree is recognized in Germany.

I received a B.A. in German from Rutgers University (in New Jersey) in 2014. Before I started studying there, there were a lot of claims about the university being "internationally recognized". It looks like I'm about to find out how serious they were about that.

Does anyone have any experience with American degrees when it comes to membership in foreign (specifically German) translators associations?

The BDÜ sent me the following link for more info, but I can't find anything that answers my question.
http://www.km.bayern.de/schueler/abschluesse/zeugnisanerkennung.html

Many thanks in advance for any advice,
Ian
Collapse

Alexander Somin
Alexander Somin
Local time: 16:09
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Better ask employment agency Jan 26, 2016

Call your local office of the Federal Employment Agency and ask for the address you need to send your documents and obtain an official acknowledgement of your degree in Germany. There are different authorities (and addresses) for such acknowledgement depending on your situation and federal land. In this way you are going to get an official document you may need at a lot of places in Germany (including translator's unions). You will need some patience to finally get this document, so the earlier ... See more
Call your local office of the Federal Employment Agency and ask for the address you need to send your documents and obtain an official acknowledgement of your degree in Germany. There are different authorities (and addresses) for such acknowledgement depending on your situation and federal land. In this way you are going to get an official document you may need at a lot of places in Germany (including translator's unions). You will need some patience to finally get this document, so the earlier you start doing it, the better. My advise: before sending your documents to the authority they'll tell you, use your phone to ask this authority, if they are really in charge for your specific case, and if they answer not, then where you should go next.

[Edited at 2016-01-26 14:27 GMT]
Collapse

Riesling
Riesling
English to German
+ ...
Anabin database Jan 27, 2016

The Bundesländers' education ministries have set up a very comprehensive database called Anabin ("Anerkennung und Bewertung ausländischer Bildungsnachweise") which you can find here:

http://anabin.kmk.org/anabin-datenbank.html

On the URL the BDÜ sent you, the link at the bottom of the page "Zuständigkeiten für die Anerkennung ausländischer Abschlüsse" sounds p
... See more
The Bundesländers' education ministries have set up a very comprehensive database called Anabin ("Anerkennung und Bewertung ausländischer Bildungsnachweise") which you can find here:

http://anabin.kmk.org/anabin-datenbank.html

On the URL the BDÜ sent you, the link at the bottom of the page "Zuständigkeiten für die Anerkennung ausländischer Abschlüsse" sounds promising, did you check it yet?
Collapse

Ian Kahn
Ian Kahn
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:09
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Rutgers University H+ Jan 28, 2016

That link is great! I was able to find my school and it has a rating of H+. The site says:

H+ bedeutet, dass die betreffende Institution in ihrem Sitzland als Hochschule anerkannt ist und auch in Deutschland als Hochschulinstitution betrachtet wird.

Do I need to have my physical diploma in hand if I plan to apply? Do I need to have it translated and notarized?

Do you think I can have a family member scan a copy to me via eMail? It's still sitting in
... See more
That link is great! I was able to find my school and it has a rating of H+. The site says:

H+ bedeutet, dass die betreffende Institution in ihrem Sitzland als Hochschule anerkannt ist und auch in Deutschland als Hochschulinstitution betrachtet wird.

Do I need to have my physical diploma in hand if I plan to apply? Do I need to have it translated and notarized?

Do you think I can have a family member scan a copy to me via eMail? It's still sitting in a drawer in my parents house.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BDÜ - Applying with American University Degree

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »