Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
German to English
Jan 30, 2016

This just showed up in the ATA Newsbriefs E-Mail:

ATA News

Computerized ATA Certification Exam

ATA will pilot-test a computerized option for taking its certification exam on April 3 in Charlotte, NC.

Candidates who choose this option will take the exam on their own laptops, using any stored resources, including dictionaries and translation memories. They will also have Internet access to non-interactive resources, e.g., online dictionaries
... See more
This just showed up in the ATA Newsbriefs E-Mail:

ATA News

Computerized ATA Certification Exam

ATA will pilot-test a computerized option for taking its certification exam on April 3 in Charlotte, NC.

Candidates who choose this option will take the exam on their own laptops, using any stored resources, including dictionaries and translation memories. They will also have Internet access to non-interactive resources, e.g., online dictionaries and databases, but not email or chat rooms.

Candidates can still opt to handwrite their exam at this sitting.

Both handwritten and computerized exams are the same, and all candidates may bring any print resources they wish to use.

This exam sitting has been arranged by the Carolina Association of Translators and Interpreters (CATI), an ATA Chapter serving both North and South Carolina.
Collapse

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:08
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not sure what to think Jan 30, 2016

On the one hand, it makes sense to allow computerized administration of the ATA Certification Exam, as this more accurately reflects the way translators work in the real world. At the very least, this newfangled approach ought to save a good number of exam candidates extra expenses for the damaged carry-on bags and hernia treatments resulting from schlepping all those dictionaries and thesauri to the exam site....

On the other hand, it does not strike me as unreasonable to oblige ex
... See more
On the one hand, it makes sense to allow computerized administration of the ATA Certification Exam, as this more accurately reflects the way translators work in the real world. At the very least, this newfangled approach ought to save a good number of exam candidates extra expenses for the damaged carry-on bags and hernia treatments resulting from schlepping all those dictionaries and thesauri to the exam site....

On the other hand, it does not strike me as unreasonable to oblige examinees to write out their translations by hand. After all, the exam is rather short (requiring the translation of less than 600 words of source text within a very lengthy time span). In addition, a digitalized format imposes an extra degree of vigilance upon the ATA to prevent cheating.

To my mind, ATA has far bigger fish to fry, so the issue of how their certification exam is administered leaves me rather cold....
Collapse

The Misha
The Misha
Local time: 02:08
Russian to English
+ ...
Who cares? Jan 30, 2016

ATA is largely irrelevant either way, and it's all their own fault. Double-dealing and infighting does that to you every time.

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:08
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
I knew they have been looking into it. Jan 30, 2016

I assumed they would arrange some kind of digital translation without being online, so dictionaries would need to be downloaded, for example. Allowing online rescources and TMs did surprise me (will people take the test through their CAT tools?) but on the other hand, really does reflect how most translators work today, and also reinforces their statements that they want people who've been in the business for a few years.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA certification exam goes finally goes digital

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »