Thoughts about ATA/ATIO certification? Which is more worthwhile?
Thread poster: TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT
TB CommuniCAT  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:22
English to French
Mar 5, 2018

Dear colleagues,

I would like to know if anyone has recently written the ATA exam, computerized format. Can you please share your thoughts about the exam?

Also, if you have written the ATIO exam, can you provide your thoughts about it as well?

Which certification, ATA or ATIO, do you think is more worthwhile to invest into?

Thank you in advance!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2018-06-07 20:19 GMT]

Hani Hassaan
Hani Hassaan  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 15:22
English to Arabic
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
ATIO is better for you, I think. Mar 5, 2018

Hello,
I see many jobs in Canada asking for the translators to be certified by ATIO or CTTIC.

I was approved by ATIO but unable to go to Canada to undertake the personal test to be accepted as a member.

ATA certification is great for sure, you also can buy the practice tests before taking the real exam, no need to be paid member.
Good Luck.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
ATIO Mar 7, 2018

I've been a "candidate for certification" with ATIO for 4 years now. Every year I sit a certification exam and fail to pass. Read up on their passing criteria and how they mark your test. In the past years there has been only 1 person passing their Farsi/English test (my pair). They give you your scored tests and it is astonishing, no matter what you write they will write something to the contrary and fail you. Hope they do better in your language pair. They claim tests are marked by people outs... See more
I've been a "candidate for certification" with ATIO for 4 years now. Every year I sit a certification exam and fail to pass. Read up on their passing criteria and how they mark your test. In the past years there has been only 1 person passing their Farsi/English test (my pair). They give you your scored tests and it is astonishing, no matter what you write they will write something to the contrary and fail you. Hope they do better in your language pair. They claim tests are marked by people outside the province. If you want to get into official translation in Ontario, you would need that certification otherwise you would not need it.

[Edited at 2018-03-07 13:38 GMT]
Collapse

TB CommuniCAT
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mar 7, 2018

Thank you for your reply.

Rahi: Your motivation amazes me.

Best of luck to all!

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:22
German to English
+ ...
Rahi Mar 11, 2018

Rahi Moosavi wrote:

I've been a "candidate for certification" with ATIO for 4 years now. Every year I sit a certification exam and fail to pass. Read up on their passing criteria and how they mark your test. In the past years there has been only 1 person passing their Farsi/English test (my pair). They give you your scored tests and it is astonishing, no matter what you write they will write something to the contrary and fail you. Hope they do better in your language pair. They claim tests are marked by people outside the province. If you want to get into official translation in Ontario, you would need that certification otherwise you would not need it.

[Edited at 2018-03-07 13:38 GMT]

I'm wondering - Have done the step of doing the preparatory course before sitting the exam? I did that way back when, and got insights and perspectives that expanded my horizons. Later I was at the other end, by being one of the tutors. We are instructed not only to "grade" the homework, but give advice, look for strengths and weaknesses, giving useful feedback to the future candidate. Unless things have changed, when I was a marker, it was in-province. However, for the preparatory course, I was sending feedback to candidates across the country. But I imagine that Farsi is more rare as a language, and maybe they can't find markers in-province?

My own experience professionally:
- The obvious one, where for certain translations, the government wants to see a stamp by a certified translator - or costly and time-consuming notarization
- Universities and some businesses also seem to have the same requirement
- some association with assurance of quality and reliability,which, however, you need to continue earning every time you do a translation for anyone

Haya

Ártemis López
Ártemis López
Spain
Local time: 15:22
Spanish to English
+ ...
The ATA computerized test felt far more natural May 8, 2018

I took the computerized ATA test a few months ago. Until then, I'd done one official practice test and several pseudo-practice tests where I picked my own text, and I'd always stuck to the handwritten test guidelines.

The computerized test felt far more natural than my practice tests did, and I finished it with time to spare (which I spent painstakingly reviewing every word and punctuation mark) whereas I always used up all my time while practicing. I'm planning to sit for my second
... See more
I took the computerized ATA test a few months ago. Until then, I'd done one official practice test and several pseudo-practice tests where I picked my own text, and I'd always stuck to the handwritten test guidelines.

The computerized test felt far more natural than my practice tests did, and I finished it with time to spare (which I spent painstakingly reviewing every word and punctuation mark) whereas I always used up all my time while practicing. I'm planning to sit for my second language pair soon and I'm definitely only considering the computerized sittings. Do you have specific questions?
Collapse

TB CommuniCAT
Canada
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
@ Ártemis Jun 5, 2018

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and sorry for this very late response. I actually thought I have responded.

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Joining in the conversation Aug 10, 2018

I am actually looking to join the ATIO and therefore have to prepare for the upcoming entrance exam. I am wondering if anyone has any experiences or thoughts to share about this exam.

In the past I've reached out to several ATIO translators in my language pair, in hopes of seeking advice but have never really heard back. As some have mentioned, it's a fiercely competitive and tight-knit network which is probably why it's very, very selective. I am not looking to get certified right
... See more
I am actually looking to join the ATIO and therefore have to prepare for the upcoming entrance exam. I am wondering if anyone has any experiences or thoughts to share about this exam.

In the past I've reached out to several ATIO translators in my language pair, in hopes of seeking advice but have never really heard back. As some have mentioned, it's a fiercely competitive and tight-knit network which is probably why it's very, very selective. I am not looking to get certified right away, but I am interested to at least become a candidate and learn more from the network by being a member.

I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone may have to share.

Thank you,
Rita
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thoughts about ATA/ATIO certification? Which is more worthwhile?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »