Lian Pang  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:12
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 12, 2018

Good day fellas !

I am currently a member of ITI, but I am pondering over joining another association. The membership fees are not cheap, so I wonder if being a member in multiple associations really boosts my credibility / status ? Is it worth it ? or should I just focus on One particular association ?

Thanks a bunch !

Guofei_LIN
Guofei_LIN  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:12
Chinese
Haven't seen any benefits. Apr 12, 2018

I was a member of Australian Institute of Interpreters and Translators for one year before I allowed my membership to lapse. The benefits I was hoping for didn't materialise. Now to satisfy my NAATI re-certification requirements, I may have to re-join the AUSIT again to earn the required points, even though I see no other benefits to my work. I'm still trying to make up my mind.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Do any of them actually affect your credibility? Apr 13, 2018

Lian Pang wrote:
I am currently a member of ITI, but I am pondering over joining another association. The membership fees are not cheap, so I wonder if being a member in multiple associations really boosts my credibility / status.

I don't get the impression from any of my clients that my membership to professional organisations affect my credibility at all. Being certified/accredited by an association might look good (and some more knowledgeable clients might prefer certified/accredited translators), but generally clients don't look at such things.

I would suggest you ask yourself what you can get out of your membership. Does membership give you access to anything worth the money?

I'm a member of four associations, and I use only one of them for actual networking. I'm a member of the others because (a) they give access to a chat group that I frequently use to ask questions, (b) they give me access to a certain market via their directory searches that I would otherwise not have access to, and (c) the newsletters they send out with industry news.. So essentially most of my "memberships" act as subscriptions to services.

[Edited at 2018-04-13 08:04 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Look at benefits for you, not credibility and status Apr 13, 2018

If you are a member of the ITI, then that is enough for anyone who knows what it means. If they don't know what being a member of the ITI says about you, then the chances are another association will not make a lot of difference.

That is in fact why I am NOT a member of the ITI. Way back, I could be a member of the IoL (now CIoL) with three years' experience, but the ITI wanted five. I was already a member of the Communication and Language Professionals in Denmark, as this was a Tra
... See more
If you are a member of the ITI, then that is enough for anyone who knows what it means. If they don't know what being a member of the ITI says about you, then the chances are another association will not make a lot of difference.

That is in fact why I am NOT a member of the ITI. Way back, I could be a member of the IoL (now CIoL) with three years' experience, but the ITI wanted five. I was already a member of the Communication and Language Professionals in Denmark, as this was a Trade Union and my employer wanted me to join.

Between the two of them, I found I had what I needed in the way of courses, networking and activities. I know many colleagues living in the UK are members of both the CIoL and ITI, but I felt I was not going to be able to get more for my money by joining the ITI - I did seriously consider it.

I have made the best of the CIoL and being a Chartered Linguist, and have reconsidered the ITI several times. In fact I am no longer a member of the Danish union, since it is basically a trade union and unemployment insurance as well. As a freelancer, now over pension age, the benefits for me are simply not worth the subscription. I can still network or attend courses if I pay for them, and occasionally I do.

I still pay for this site, not for the 'glory', but because I think it is value for money. (I might miss the 'red P', but could live without it.)

You live in Poland - is it worth joining a Polish association to network with Polish colleagues and join in activities there? Or are your languages too different from everyone else's? I once knew some delightful Polish colleagues and attended a very good conference and powwow in Warsaw many years ago - I still dream of going back. There was lots going on. Networking and attending events and training courses is very useful professionally, so joining an association might be your ticket to joining in.

What does increase your credibility and status is being seen and heard! Provided, of course, that people respect what they see and hear.

Otherwise, consider it strictly on a value-for-money basis.

[Edited at 2018-04-13 08:25 GMT]
Collapse

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nothing tangible Apr 13, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:

I don't get the impression from any of my clients that my membership to professional organisations affect my credibility at all. Being certified/accredited by an association might look good (and some more knowledgeable clients might prefer certified/accredited translators), but generally clients don't look at such things.

I would suggest you ask yourself what you can get out of your membership. Does membership give you access to anything worth the money?

[Edited at 2018-04-13 08:04 GMT]

Thank you Samuel. I have the impression that my clients are generally satisfied with ITI membership. It sure boosts my credibility quite a bit.
Other than the intangible "credibility" I haven't seen much benefits from the membership. Oh I do get bulletins ...

I am also thinking of getting that certified red seal. But I am really hesitant.

Lian Pang
Netherlands
Member (2018)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good Point Apr 13, 2018

Christine Andersen wrote:

Otherwise, consider it strictly on a value-for-money basis.

[Edited at 2018-04-13 08:25 GMT]

Thank you Christine for the detailed answer. You have a good point. I am not even getting enough networking from ITI, i guess i should put additional membership up on the shelf for now.

I am not working in Polish though. There is indeed a translator's association in Poland, but I am not going to join as it doesn't have my language pair.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:12
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My experience as member of both ITI and CIOL Apr 13, 2018

I've been an MITI for about 5 years, and a MCIL CL for under a year. I have noticed a marked increase in enquiries for certified translations since joining the CIOL. By being listed in the online directories of both organisations, I am currently receiving enquiries for such jobs between 5-10 times a week. That's not an insignificant number. Agency clients have found me there too.

I attend events held by both organisations, and find them all useful in different ways. The networking a
... See more
I've been an MITI for about 5 years, and a MCIL CL for under a year. I have noticed a marked increase in enquiries for certified translations since joining the CIOL. By being listed in the online directories of both organisations, I am currently receiving enquiries for such jobs between 5-10 times a week. That's not an insignificant number. Agency clients have found me there too.

I attend events held by both organisations, and find them all useful in different ways. The networking aspect is probably the most important part of those for me.

Being a member of more than one organisation is certainly not going to do you any harm, and in my experience the benefits significantly outweigh the cost.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiple memberships : Should I do it ?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »