2005 DipTrans certificate useless today?
Thread poster: Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)
Anne Brackenborough (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:30
German to English
Feb 10, 2020

Hi, I have a 2005 DipTrans qualification, and over the past 15 years the qualifications framework has been changed. The certificate says that it is Level 5, which was the highest level back then, but they have since added more levels - the modern DipTrans is Level 7, and the "Level 5" on my certificate now seems to be below degree level, as far as I can tell.

I found my old DipTrans handbook, and what I took back then was described three times as a postgrad exam, but now it seems I
... See more
Hi, I have a 2005 DipTrans qualification, and over the past 15 years the qualifications framework has been changed. The certificate says that it is Level 5, which was the highest level back then, but they have since added more levels - the modern DipTrans is Level 7, and the "Level 5" on my certificate now seems to be below degree level, as far as I can tell.

I found my old DipTrans handbook, and what I took back then was described three times as a postgrad exam, but now it seems I have no way to prove that to prospective employers.

I emailed the CIoL and they told me I would have to retake the exam, as the level has changed. I thought it was just the framework that changed? In any case, all I want is proof that I took it as a postgrad qualification, back in 2005. Has anyone been offered a better solution by the CIoL? Or is the old certificate basically worthless?

[Edited at 2020-02-10 13:03 GMT]
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
2006 DipTrans was Level 7 Feb 10, 2020

My DipTrans, which I took in 2006 is Level 7. So, you seem to have just been one year too early. I am rather surprised that it has taken this long for you to discover that your 2005 certificate is Level 5. I remember that, when I took mine, there was a lower level exam available, which I think was called a Certificate in Translation.

If your certificate is definitely a DipTrans and was postgrad level at the time, I suggest that you don't take "no" for an answer! You need to get bac
... See more
My DipTrans, which I took in 2006 is Level 7. So, you seem to have just been one year too early. I am rather surprised that it has taken this long for you to discover that your 2005 certificate is Level 5. I remember that, when I took mine, there was a lower level exam available, which I think was called a Certificate in Translation.

If your certificate is definitely a DipTrans and was postgrad level at the time, I suggest that you don't take "no" for an answer! You need to get back to the CIoL and insist that they provide you with evidence of the status, at the time you took it, of the diploma you have and of any change in the Levels system that should be taken into account. Try sending them a registered letter, rather than an email.

[Edited at 2020-02-10 15:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-02-10 15:58 GMT]
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Level 5 Feb 10, 2020

I knew all along that it was Level 5, of course, and when I heard later that they had changed the level numbers, I was mildly annoyed that I had the old number on my certificate, but I wasn't worried, as it's the same exam and the IoL was a reputable institution.

Now I am applying for a job which requires a postgrad qualification, and thought I'd make a quick phone call to the CIoL to ask how best to prove that I have one - and was surprised and mildly horrified by this unhelpful an
... See more
I knew all along that it was Level 5, of course, and when I heard later that they had changed the level numbers, I was mildly annoyed that I had the old number on my certificate, but I wasn't worried, as it's the same exam and the IoL was a reputable institution.

Now I am applying for a job which requires a postgrad qualification, and thought I'd make a quick phone call to the CIoL to ask how best to prove that I have one - and was surprised and mildly horrified by this unhelpful and ill-informed response, 'especially what with Brexit and all that'.

I do have an update, though. Without the CIoL's help, I have now found proof on the Ofqual website that the DipTrans I took was indeed at the modern Level 7 - that qualification number is on my certificate. I'm going to try sending the prospective employer the link to the Ofqual page, but something on paper would be better.

(I've sent 3 emails, but maybe you are right and I need to get down the post office!)

[Edited at 2020-02-10 16:17 GMT]
Collapse

Anne Brackenborough (X)
Germany
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Check your own certificates Feb 24, 2020

Still haven't got a very satisfying answer to this issue, but I have realised one thing that does not only apply to my 2005 certificate.

The CiOL sent me further information telling me that my certificate is fine as the old framework was the NQF, and the modern framework is the RQF, so there is a clear difference.

However, as I've just replied, my certificate says only "Level 5" on it, without saying Level 5 of what. For employers abroad, obviously it could be Level 5 o
... See more
Still haven't got a very satisfying answer to this issue, but I have realised one thing that does not only apply to my 2005 certificate.

The CiOL sent me further information telling me that my certificate is fine as the old framework was the NQF, and the modern framework is the RQF, so there is a clear difference.

However, as I've just replied, my certificate says only "Level 5" on it, without saying Level 5 of what. For employers abroad, obviously it could be Level 5 of absolutely anything. The NQF is not mentioned on either side of the certificate.

Have a look at your own certificates if you might ever need them to be recognised by non-British authorities. Google Images shows me lots of DipTrans certificates until 2011 saying only "Level 7" and no further details.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

2005 DipTrans certificate useless today?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »