CIOL membership - necessary for "certified translations" in the UK?
Thread poster: GP Translations
GP Translations
GP Translations  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 22:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 30, 2020

Hi,
These days, I am working as a part-time freelancer who receives work (mainly birth certificates, university transcripts, etc) on a very ad hoc basis. As such I am not earning very much at all from this work. I have the DipTrans from CIOL and I was wondering how essential it is to have a full membership to the CIOL to carry out these translations and for them to satisfy official institutions. Is self-certification enough or do institutions check credentials for example on Find-a-linguis
... See more
Hi,
These days, I am working as a part-time freelancer who receives work (mainly birth certificates, university transcripts, etc) on a very ad hoc basis. As such I am not earning very much at all from this work. I have the DipTrans from CIOL and I was wondering how essential it is to have a full membership to the CIOL to carry out these translations and for them to satisfy official institutions. Is self-certification enough or do institutions check credentials for example on Find-a-linguist?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not necessary, as far as I know Apr 30, 2020

Please check:

https://www.ciol.org.uk/certified-translations

and

https://www.gov.uk/certifying-a-document

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CIOL membership - necessary for "certified translations" in the UK?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »