US-based translators working with non-US agencies - what to know before applying?
Thread poster: Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
Katherine McMonagle (X)
United States
Local time: 03:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2020

Hello everyone,
I am still pretty new to translating and have just started contacting agencies this month. I have stuck with US-based agencies, as I am in the US and it seemed like a logical place to start. However, I would like to apply to agencies in other countries as well.

For those who work with international agencies (not just US-based translators but anyone), is it fairly smooth to work with international clients? (mainly in terms of payment) or is there anything impo
... See more
Hello everyone,
I am still pretty new to translating and have just started contacting agencies this month. I have stuck with US-based agencies, as I am in the US and it seemed like a logical place to start. However, I would like to apply to agencies in other countries as well.

For those who work with international agencies (not just US-based translators but anyone), is it fairly smooth to work with international clients? (mainly in terms of payment) or is there anything important to know (i.e, a CV instead of a resume, extra identification documents, etc.)

Thanks!
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Katherine Aug 21, 2020

Like with US agencies, you have to perform due diligence before accepting work. In my case, I prefer working with European customers for several reasons: time zones difference, the fact that I don’t accept payment by cheque or Paypal and the exchange rate variations. This being said, I do have two or three very occasional US clients…

Katherine McMonagle (X)
Marina Steinbach

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

US-based translators working with non-US agencies - what to know before applying?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »