federica gagliardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:18
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
May 24, 2018

Hello everybody,
I'm having a problem importing an SDL package in Wordfast Pro 5.4.3.
Wordfast doesn't recognize/import soft returns within segments and the client told me she had to add them manually once she opened the translated sdlxiff file in Trados.
I opened a ticket with Wordfast support and the answer I got is that they have an "improvement ticket open to implement this feature" and that "There is a workaround where open Target SDLXLIFF file and add Soft return manual
... See more
Hello everybody,
I'm having a problem importing an SDL package in Wordfast Pro 5.4.3.
Wordfast doesn't recognize/import soft returns within segments and the client told me she had to add them manually once she opened the translated sdlxiff file in Trados.
I opened a ticket with Wordfast support and the answer I got is that they have an "improvement ticket open to implement this feature" and that "There is a workaround where open Target SDLXLIFF file and add Soft return manually to segments that need them"....

But how on earth can I implement soft returns in the file? Couldn't find an answer anywhere..... I think it used to be Shift+Enter but it doesn't work

Thanks for your help
Collapse

Esme Greenfield
Esme Greenfield
South Africa
Local time: 20:18
Afrikaans to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 5 / SDLxiff: problem with soft returns May 24, 2018

Hello Federica,

I am not sure whether my solution will work as I am using Wordfast Classic v. 6.45.

In Setup I added the soft return/manual line break in 'End-of-segment-punctuation'. Thus Wordfast recognizes the soft return and the content of the text line containing the soft return is rendered as a source segment. Below are our notes to our course attendees.

10.2.1 Click on WF>Setup to gain access to the WF settings.
10.2.2 General:
• Double
... See more
Hello Federica,

I am not sure whether my solution will work as I am using Wordfast Classic v. 6.45.

In Setup I added the soft return/manual line break in 'End-of-segment-punctuation'. Thus Wordfast recognizes the soft return and the content of the text line containing the soft return is rendered as a source segment. Below are our notes to our course attendees.

10.2.1 Click on WF>Setup to gain access to the WF settings.
10.2.2 General:
• Double click on End-of-segment punctuation.
o In the window that appears, type ^l[space] before the first letter in the line – this is to insert a manual line break as an end-of-segment instruction.
o Click on OK.
Collapse

federica gagliardi
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Esme May 24, 2018

... but still not working

Esme Greenfield
Esme Greenfield
South Africa
Local time: 20:18
Afrikaans to English
+ ...
Wordfast Pro 5 / SDLxiff: problem with soft returns May 24, 2018

OK, how about using the ASCII 'new line' code: alt+011 (Num Lock must be on).

federica gagliardi
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
nothing....:-( May 24, 2018

In the meantime I have solved my urgent problem importing the file in Memoq, inserting tags there and exporting the file to deliver

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
Local time: 18:18
French to English
+ ...
Soft returns - problem for me too! Jun 1, 2018

I'm glad I stumbled across this discussion, as I've posted about the same issue in the Wordfast Pro group.

Like Federica, I've found that soft returns within segments are not being recognised in WFP 5.4. I wasn't aware of the problem until this week, when an agency told me they'd had to add them manually afterwards.

Unfortunately, setting soft returns as an end of segment delimiter is not an option, as the sdlxliff from which I was working was prepared for me by the age
... See more
I'm glad I stumbled across this discussion, as I've posted about the same issue in the Wordfast Pro group.

Like Federica, I've found that soft returns within segments are not being recognised in WFP 5.4. I wasn't aware of the problem until this week, when an agency told me they'd had to add them manually afterwards.

Unfortunately, setting soft returns as an end of segment delimiter is not an option, as the sdlxliff from which I was working was prepared for me by the agency.

Interestingly, the soft returns are visible when the sdlxliff is opened in WFP 3, but I have as yet to find the way of adding them to the target segment, other than copying and pasting the source segment and then overwriting the words, while leaving the layout untouched. That's not ideal, but better than returning a file requiring intensive editing by the agency.
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Ticket logged Jun 2, 2018

Hello,

There is a ticket to investigate and fix this issue.

In the meantime, can you ask the agency to re-segment the file with soft returns as an end-of-segment delimiters?

Kind regards,
John

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
French to English
+ ...
Thanks John Jun 12, 2018

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello,

In the meantime, can you ask the agency to re-segment the file with soft returns as an end-of-segment delimiters?

Kind regards,
John

I'll do that next time. Thanks, John!

federica gagliardi
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any news about the soft return issue? Aug 8, 2018

Hello,
opening Wordfast I have been prompted to download the update: version 5.5.0.
Has the issue about soft returns from SDLXIFF files been solved in this new version?

Thanks

federica gagliardi
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any news about this? Nov 14, 2018

John Di Rico wrote:

Hello,

Kind regards,
John

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Update Nov 14, 2018

Thanks for asking Frederica,

I just asked and will post here once I have news.

Why does the client keep segments together instead of breaking them on soft returns?

Best,
John

federica gagliardi
Italy
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
well Nov 14, 2018

John Di Rico wrote:

Thanks for asking Frederica,

I just asked and will post here once I have news.

Why does the client keep segments together instead of breaking them on soft returns?

Best,
John

That's a good point John....
maybe it's because I used to get their segmentation right with Wordfast 3

Matthew Butt
Matthew Butt
French to English
+ ...
Still ongoing Mar 17, 2021

Would you believe I've just come across this thread because I've recently encountered this very problem in WFP6?

I contacted Wordfast for help, and this is the reply I received:

"Unfortunately, I'm afraid there won't be a quick solution for this. Because WF doesn't currently support soft returns, they can't be displayed in other XLIFF formats (e.g., SDLXLIFF) until WF can support soft returns.
WF supports soft returns in other formats, such as DOCX but it's a com
... See more
Would you believe I've just come across this thread because I've recently encountered this very problem in WFP6?

I contacted Wordfast for help, and this is the reply I received:

"Unfortunately, I'm afraid there won't be a quick solution for this. Because WF doesn't currently support soft returns, they can't be displayed in other XLIFF formats (e.g., SDLXLIFF) until WF can support soft returns.
WF supports soft returns in other formats, such as DOCX but it's a completely different file type with a completely different parser and different processing logic. "

I wonder how long we have to wait for a solution that is "not quick"...

Matthew
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast Pro 5 / SDLxiff: problem with soft returns

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »