Deleting spaces along with whole words in Wordfast Anywhere (ctrl + del)
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:07
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 13, 2018

In Wordfast Anywhere, when using ctrl + del to delete a whole word, it doesn't also delete the accompanying space, which means that said space has to be deleted separately. When this occurs over a line-wrap, it's easy to miss and double spaces are not so easy to spot when proof-reading.

Is this a browser setting or is it something that Wf developers could enable?
Thanks

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Why not Nov 13, 2018

Comunican wrote:

In Wordfast Anywhere, when using ctrl + del to delete a whole word, it doesn't also delete the accompanying space, which means that said space has to be deleted separately. When this occurs over a line-wrap, it's easy to miss and double spaces are not so easy to spot when proof-reading.

Is this a browser setting or is it something that Wf developers could enable?
Thanks

Hi Comunican,

I could see where this would be useful. I don't know of any setting that could affect that yet. The only effect on spaces you can decide is in the behavior for special chars insertion.

However there is an easy fix to this for now: When finished, go to edit/find replace and type double space in search and single space in replace. That would fix it in no time. (Another option would be to opne an OFRT in MS Word with displaying hidden chars on, but it takes slightly longer).

If you want the programmers to look into adding this function you can use the report button in the help tab.

Hope this helps.

My bests

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Nov 15, 2018

Hi again Fi2 n Co
Thank you for taking the trouble to reply and for your recommendation.
I have used the Find/Replace function that you suggest but it is quite clunky and doesn't always work properly. Again, I'm afraid the fact that WFA is currently free to use is reflected in the many minor shortcomings in terms of usability. I'm a long-time paid user of Wordfast Classic so will mix and match between WFC and WFA for now.
Thanks again

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Error report + screenshot Nov 15, 2018

Comunican wrote:

It is quite clunky and doesn't always work properly.

It's interesting that you found issues with it. I haven't noticed any lately, plus they've added the "Remove" option beside the replace field. I haven't seen that in another CAT tool (maybe it exists somewhere I don't know though ).

If you find an issue, describe it and send screenshots to the support I mentioned. If you describe the issue well enough and they are able to reproduce it, they usually publish the fix in 24 hours.

The fact that WFA as a tool is hosted on a server rather than the translator's machine is usually a bonus for added stability, provided that your internet connection is stable. Like anything else it takes some time to get used to. You can learn more on the wiki page or click on the banner @ the login page it will take you to some tutorials I've published on my channel. These ressources will help you know more about some functions of the tool and get a better "Feel" of it.

I'm sure you'll find your bearings in no time.

My bests

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks and do you know if DeepL will integrate with Wfc Nov 15, 2018

Thanks.
Yes, the problem is when it finds a batch of double spaces it tells you to click on Replace All, but that button is not available to click on, so it doesn't work.

Do you know if DeepL can be integrated into WfC the way it can in WFA?
Cheers

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Sequence Nov 16, 2018

Comunican wrote:

Thanks.
Yes, the problem is when it finds a batch of double spaces it tells you to click on Replace All, but that button is not available to click on, so it doesn't work.

Do you know if DeepL can be integrated into WfC the way it can in WFA?
Cheers

Hi,

There is a sequence to it:
1/Select the find replace tab and put your entries
2/Click find
3/Click find (again)
4/Now two options are enabled: Replace/Find that will take you to every occurrence one by one and Replace All.

This sequence work all the time for me.

DeepL: Will answer in your other thread

My bests

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks but the whole WFA find/replace functionality is very clunky Nov 19, 2018

Thank you for your ongoing responses and advice.
I've followed your process and it more or less works, but the whole WFA find/replace functionality is very clunky and doesn't follow any standards - such as that used in Microsoft Word. The result is that I have to go through it several times to be sure it has caught all the double spaces.
Also, when using find/replace to find a word, when I then go and work on that segment and make changes, I can't close it without first closing the
... See more
I've followed your process and it more or less works, but the whole WFA find/replace functionality is very clunky and doesn't follow any standards - such as that used in Microsoft Word. The result is that I have to go through it several times to be sure it has caught all the double spaces.
Also, when using find/replace to find a word, when I then go and work on that segment and make changes, I can't close it without first closing the find/replace box which means having to start the search again.
If Wf's development team improved their find/replace functionality and included relevant spaces in ctrl + del or ctrl + backspace, it would make it easier to use.
I've used Wordfast Classic for over 10 years and am ready to move to the next level (and would prefer maybe to jump over WF Pro straight to WFA) so I'd be pleased if these issues were resolved.
Many thanks
Collapse

Philippe Locquet
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Learning the ropes Nov 20, 2018

Comunican wrote:

Also, when using find/replace to find a word, when I then go and work on that segment and make changes, I can't close it without first closing the find/replace box which means having to start the search again.
If Wf's development team improved their find/replace functionality and included relevant spaces in ctrl + del or ctrl + backspace, it would make it easier to use.
I've used Wordfast Classic for over 10 years and am ready to move to the next level (and would prefer maybe to jump over WF Pro straight to WFA) so I'd be pleased if these issues were resolved.
Many thanks

Hi there,

To navigate between segments, you can go to a different segment by clicking on the segment number in the window: the number in blue is a link that opens the desired segment.
You may find it useful to enable the segment toolbar (Wordfast Anywhere/setup/tick the box).
The square button in the segment toolbar allows you to close and save your changes to a segment even with the search window opened.
You can customize the buttons you want and their order in Pandora's box 16.

Hope this helps.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Nov 21, 2018

Hi again. And thank you for your advice. I did try the Segment Toolbar but I found it was a bit distracting so I ended up switching it off...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting spaces along with whole words in Wordfast Anywhere (ctrl + del)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »