Sam Berner
Sam Berner  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:02
Member (2003)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Jan 10, 2008

Hi everyone, and a belated happy new year.

I am looking into a comperative study on working for publishing houses (duwar nashr) in English-speaking countries and in the Arab World. Any persons with experience in translating books (literature or textbooks, doesn't matter which) who would like to provide me with answers to the following questions are welcome to do so here, or to email me privately through Proz.

(1) Is there a standard contract? If yes, by which party is
... See more
Hi everyone, and a belated happy new year.

I am looking into a comperative study on working for publishing houses (duwar nashr) in English-speaking countries and in the Arab World. Any persons with experience in translating books (literature or textbooks, doesn't matter which) who would like to provide me with answers to the following questions are welcome to do so here, or to email me privately through Proz.

(1) Is there a standard contract? If yes, by which party is the contract prepared?

(2) Do the publishing houses in the Arab world look for professional translators, or employ academics in the field of the book subject (eg. engineers, doctors, software programmers) to translate the book?

(3) Are freelance translators able to approach a publishing house and suggest translations/offer services?

(4) What are the payment practices (not how much is being paid, but how)?

(5) Does the translator have copyright in the translation, and therefore royalties from the sale of the translated book? Are there any other ways in which your work is recognized as a translator?

(6) How is copyright with the original writer of the book/overseas translator negotiated? Is there a copyright legislation in your country that regulates this?

I very much appreciate your help in advance.

تحياتي إلى الجميع وكل عام وأنتم بخير - ولو أنها متأخرة قليلا

أقوم بدراسة مقارنة بين عمل المترجمين لجهة دور النشر في البلدان الناطقة بالإنجليزية والبلدان العربية، وأرجو من كل من له خبرة في ترجمة الكتب (لا يهم نوعها، إن كانت آدابا أو كتبا علمية) ممن يرغب في الإجابة على الأسئلة التالية في أن يقوم بذلك هنا أو بالاتصال بي على بريدي الإلكتروني عير بروز.

(1) هل هناك عقد معياري بين الناشر والمترجم، وإذا كانت الإجابة بنعم فأي الجهتين يقوم على كتابته؟

(2) هل يميل الناشرون في العالم العربي إلى استخدام مترجمين محترفين أم متخصصين في مجال موضوع الكتاب المترجم للقيام بالترجمة (كالأطباء أو المهندسين مثلا)؟

(3) هل يمكن للمترجمين الذين يعملون لحسابهم الخاص اقتراح ترجمة كتب معينة على دور النشر؟

(4) ما هي ممارسات الدفع (لا ما يقوم الناشر على دفعه للمترجم، بل كيف يقوم بذلك)؟

(5) هل الحقوق الفكرية للمترجم في الكتاب الذي ترجمه محفوظة وهل يحصل على نسبة من بيع الكتاب المترجم؟ هل هناك وسائل آخرى للاعتراف به بصفته مترجم الكتاب؟

(6) كيف يتم التفاوض على حقوق النشر مع الكاتب الأصلي أو الناشر الأصلي للكتاب؟ هل هناك قانون لحقوق الملكية الفكرية في البلاد العربية ينظم عملية الترجمة؟

ولكم منى الشكر مقدما على مساعدتكم.. أعذروا الأعجمية إن أخطأت في بعض من لغة الضاد

سام برنر

(3)

[Edited at 2008-01-10 11:03]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Enquiry About Working With Publishers in the Arab World

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »