Izabela Czartoryska  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 07:50
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 20, 2009

Beste collegas

I apologize for writing here in English but my Dutch is very bad and I don't know where else to ask... (Please direct me elsewhere ifd you know a more suitable place for my question).

I just moved to Holland (ha! my heart brought me here and the rest of me got defeated having nothing to say any more ). I plan to continue my freelancing job in my language pairs but living now in your country
... See more
Beste collegas

I apologize for writing here in English but my Dutch is very bad and I don't know where else to ask... (Please direct me elsewhere ifd you know a more suitable place for my question).

I just moved to Holland (ha! my heart brought me here and the rest of me got defeated having nothing to say any more ). I plan to continue my freelancing job in my language pairs but living now in your country and so I need to register myself in de Belastingdiens and I'd like to ask you about the legal form that is best for a person who is just starting on the market here. So far I understood from a few Dutch friends (who are not freelancers) that there are options like onderneming - 'eenmanszaak' or 'zzp', and I heard there are 4 types of 'zzp' but I have no clue about the differences between them. My question is - what form do most of you use and what Would you advice to a 'beginner' (however I will continue to work with my current clients but oficially I am just beginning because of moving to a new country).

Dank je vel for any helpful thoughts/advices.

Iza
Collapse

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
eenmanszaak Apr 20, 2009

Hi Iza,

You cannot chose to be a ZZP'er probably, see
http://www.belastingdienst.nl/zakelijk/onderneming_starten_stoppen.html
select starterspakket - downloaden handboek ondernemen...

If you are working by yourself, on your own, eenmanszaak is probably the cheapest way to start.
... See more
Hi Iza,

You cannot chose to be a ZZP'er probably, see
http://www.belastingdienst.nl/zakelijk/onderneming_starten_stoppen.html
select starterspakket - downloaden handboek ondernemen...

If you are working by yourself, on your own, eenmanszaak is probably the cheapest way to start. More details can be found on www.belastingdienst.nl and www.kvk.nl
all in Dutch, but depending on where you live, you could just go there and talk to a consultant of the KvK....

===
Ed

[Edited at 2009-04-20 13:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-04-20 13:05 GMT]
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Kamer van Koophandel & Belastingdienst Apr 21, 2009

Hi Izabela,

welcome to the Netherlands!

I'm not an expert on your situation, but I thought I'd just write down some things I can think of that may be of interest to you.

I assume you don't have Dutch nationality yet, which may complicate matters more. I don't know if you can even start a business without a Burger Service Number. You should ask an Immigration expert about this.

You should at least talk to the Kamer van Koophandel (Chamber of Com
... See more
Hi Izabela,

welcome to the Netherlands!

I'm not an expert on your situation, but I thought I'd just write down some things I can think of that may be of interest to you.

I assume you don't have Dutch nationality yet, which may complicate matters more. I don't know if you can even start a business without a Burger Service Number. You should ask an Immigration expert about this.

You should at least talk to the Kamer van Koophandel (Chamber of Commerce) in your region, because you must be registered there anyway. That is a paid registration, I don't know how much it costs in your region. The KvK is organised regionally. They do have a section in English on their national site: http://www.kvk.nl/english

You should also contact the Belastingdienst, in order to obtain a BTW (VAT) number. This is derived from your Burger Service Nummer, but you may be able to get a preliminary VAT number if you don't have a BSN yet. They also have a section in English on their site. www.belastingdienst.nl/english

Me, I am a zzp'er (zelfstandige zonder personeel- independent worker without employees). As a translator, you perform services - diensten. So you are a 'dienstverlener'. As for taxes, if you are registered here, in other words, you live in the Netherlands officially, you are supposed to pay your taxes here.

Whatever form your business takes, you will need to charge (and keep an administration of) VAT for customers within the Netherlands.
As long as you haven't sorted out what your situation is exactly, I recommend saving as much money as you can, until you know exactly how much tax you are supposed to pay. VAT for services is 19%; you have to pay this initially, but will probably retrieve most of it. For income tax (inkomstenbelasting/IB) you would be on the safe side if you use 40% as the basis of your calculations. In practice it will probably be closer to 30% or even less, but you don't want to start your business here with tax troubles...

Keep a good administration of whatever you do, businesswise. If anything goes wrong, it is important to show that you were, to the best of your knowledge, 'acting in good faith'. Don't worry too much, though. Just keep copies of receipts and invoices, even in a shoebox is alright, as long as you keep them and don't throw them away. Once you know what is expected of your administration under the Dutch system, you can archive them where they belong.

After some research, you will probably begin to have some idea of how it all works. At that point, I would indeed recommend talking to a consultant with the KvK and/or an independent tax consultant. Calling the Belastingdienst can be time-consuming and confusing - you need to have someone who is willing to take some time to sit down with you and go through it all thoroughly.

Good luck!
Collapse

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
KVK also does belastingnummer Apr 21, 2009

Margreet Logmans wrote:
You should at least talk to the Kamer van Koophandel (Chamber of Commerce) in your region, because you must be registered there anyway. That is a paid registration, I don't know how much it costs in your region. The KvK is organised regionally. They do have a section in English on their national site: http://www.kvk.nl/english

You should also contact the Belastingdienst, in order to obtain a BTW (VAT) number.

I registered with the KVK last year and they now have a new system that also completes your registration with the belastingdienst in one go so you don't have to register anywhere else. I don't know if this also works for foreigners, but it took me only ten minutes in the office to get everything going. Not as easy as in the UK (one phone call) but still not bad.

Margreet Logmans (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
That's an improvement! Apr 21, 2009

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

I registered with the KVK last year and they now have a new system that also completes your registration with the belastingdienst in one go so you don't have to register anywhere else. I don't know if this also works for foreigners, but it took me only ten minutes in the office to get everything going. Not as easy as in the UK (one phone call) but still not bad.

I remember when I registered a couple of years ago, the KvK representative told me I needed a VAT-number to register and the Belastingdienst told me I needed a registration with the KvK to get a VAT-number....

So this new situation is definitely an improvement!

Wilmer Brouwer
Wilmer Brouwer
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Absolutely Apr 22, 2009

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Wilmer Brouwer wrote:

I remember when I registered a couple of years ago, the KvK representative told me I needed a VAT-number to register and the Belastingdienst told me I needed a registration with the KvK to get a VAT-number....

So this new situation is definitely an improvement!

They told me it was a new thing they were working on so it may not be available everywhere, but I thought it was great, I left with my temporary btw-nummer (which became my final btw-nummer) withouth having to do anything else.

Chris Hopley
Chris Hopley  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to English
+ ...
get help from a professional bookkeeper/accountant Apr 22, 2009

Margreet Logmans wrote:

Assuming that Izabela has the Polish nationality, then she's not really 'immigrating', but is making use of her right as an EU citizen to freedom of movement under the Treaty of Rome. And anyone registering for the first time with their local authority is given a BSN if they haven't got one already. Phew!

Izabela, my advice would be to find yourself an accountant or bookkeeper (boekhouder or administratiekantoor) to help you set things up properly. Try asking in the local Polish community or in your/your partner's own network if anyone can recommend you one. A good accountant pays for himself!

Stephanie Wloch
Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Registration Kamer not for freelancers Apr 24, 2009

Margreet Logmans wrote:
You should at least talk to the Kamer van Koophandel (Chamber of Commerce) in your region, because you must be registered there anyway.
?
Why should you as a freelancer? Waar staat dit eigenlijk?

[Edited at 2009-04-24 08:36 GMT]

Margreet Logmans (X)
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
ToTuliparola Apr 24, 2009

Hi Steffi,

Zie:
http://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/114688-tolken_vertalers_moeten_inschrijven_bij_de_kvk.html

en
<
... See more
Hi Steffi,

Zie:
http://www.proz.com/forum/dutch/114688-tolken_vertalers_moeten_inschrijven_bij_de_kvk.html

en
http://www.kvk.nl/wettenenregels/110_Rechtsvormen/freelancersenzzpers/default.asp

Citaat uit de tweede link:
Inschrijving bij de KvK
Ook freelancers moeten zich inschrijven bij de KvK. Vanaf 1 juli 2008 geldt dit ook als zij een vrij beroep uitoefenen.

I don't really understand whether or not this is different for newly started (after Sept.1, 2008) or existing (founded before Sept. 2008) freelancing activities, but it certainly seems to apply to Topic Starter.

Have a nice weekend!
Margreet
Collapse

Izabela Czartoryska
Izabela Czartoryska  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you Apr 24, 2009

Thank you very much to everyone for your helpful information. I'm sorry to respond so late, upon moving to a new place I have to wait for internet installation for 4 weeks... (2 and a half to go). So I don't have access too often these days.

I didn't realize that I have to register also with KvK and even less that they can also do all the registration with the belastingdienst on my behalf. In this situation I'm going to pay them a visit. I greatly appreciate all your comments and I'
... See more
Thank you very much to everyone for your helpful information. I'm sorry to respond so late, upon moving to a new place I have to wait for internet installation for 4 weeks... (2 and a half to go). So I don't have access too often these days.

I didn't realize that I have to register also with KvK and even less that they can also do all the registration with the belastingdienst on my behalf. In this situation I'm going to pay them a visit. I greatly appreciate all your comments and I'm sorry to write so short only now. Thanks a lot again!
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Startende freelancer

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »