Thread poster: Eileen Ferguson
Eileen Ferguson
Eileen Ferguson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:23
German to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2013

IMLD was launched by UNESCO in 1999 and is celebrated annually on February 21. Happy IMLD to you all!

"Multilingualism is a source of strength and opportunity for humanity. It embodies our cultural diversity and encourages the exchange of views, the renewal of ideas and the broadening of our capacity to imagine.
- Irina Bokov
... See more
IMLD was launched by UNESCO in 1999 and is celebrated annually on February 21. Happy IMLD to you all!

"Multilingualism is a source of strength and opportunity for humanity. It embodies our cultural diversity and encourages the exchange of views, the renewal of ideas and the broadening of our capacity to imagine.
- Irina Bokova, UNESCO Director General

http://www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/events/prizes-and-celebrations/celebrations/international-days/international-mother-language-day/
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:23
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not another one! Feb 21, 2013

It would be really nice if we could actually agree on one day, even within Europe. My son has lived with us in three countries, although he hasn't been to Spain yet: he uses this complicated history as an excuse to forget them all!

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:23
German to English
Really IMLD?! Feb 21, 2013

Maybe there should also be an International Mother Speaker Day ... Couldn't they have at least translated a term for celebrating native languages into legitimate English (mother tongue, native language, native tongue)?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Sheila Feb 21, 2013

It's Mother Language Day not Mother's Day! Regarding Mother's Day I'm quite fortunate, as my children (most years) remember both (the Belgian: second Sunday of May and the Portuguese: first Sunday of May): it's kind of a private joke among us. Also, my youngest always says something nice on Father's Day, as she was a toddler when her father died...

Eileen Ferguson
Eileen Ferguson  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:23
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for clearing that up Feb 21, 2013

Teresa Borges wrote:

It's Mother Language Day not Mother's Day!

Sheila had me all confused there

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Oh, THAT day! :) Feb 21, 2013

Eileen-Ferguson wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

It's Mother Language Day not Mother's Day!

Sheila had me all confused there

Sorry everyone!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Happy International Mother Language Day

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »