Silvina

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hoping To Do The Same Dec 10, 2006

If I live that long (my maternal grandmother, the side of the family I take after, lived into her 100th year), I hope to be translating like the lady in the article. Since translating requires so much mental agility, I am hoping it will keep my mind sharp enough to allow me to keep on with it till the end, even if I don't hold up physically (it might get hard to run my fingers over the keyboard). I think sticking with my translating in later years will help keep the quality of my life very high... See more
If I live that long (my maternal grandmother, the side of the family I take after, lived into her 100th year), I hope to be translating like the lady in the article. Since translating requires so much mental agility, I am hoping it will keep my mind sharp enough to allow me to keep on with it till the end, even if I don't hold up physically (it might get hard to run my fingers over the keyboard). I think sticking with my translating in later years will help keep the quality of my life very high. In addition to having more than just Social Security (which will see cuts in the benefits originally offered until they are completely depleted around 2050) to rely on (who can live on just that, anyway?), you will be more interesting to other people if you're professionally active and are constantly learning new things that are interesting and relevant to other people, also.

The nice thing about translating is that no one has to know how old you are. Accordingly, there is no age discrimination when it comes to working for money if you can keep your mind active and agile. If your fingers don't stay nimble, you can always hire a freelance typist and just charge more per word/hour.

[Edited at 2006-12-10 21:52]

[Edited at 2006-12-10 23:39]

[Edited at 2006-12-10 23:40]
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:04
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
An old joke Dec 10, 2006

Couldn't resist:

At his 103rd birthday party, grandfather was asked if he
planned to be around for his 104th.

"I certainly do," he replied. "Statistics show that very few
people die between the ages of 103 and 104."

Uldis

Irene N
Irene N
United States
Local time: 04:04
English to Russian
+ ...
My most sincere admiration Dec 11, 2006

Nevertheless, I would love to retire slightly earlier... Today I already aim at semi-retirement in 5 years on my own terms - I'll still be way too young to claim SS. Maybe because I have already worked more years total than some members have lived... Started at 16 and... The rest is silence!

Hopefully by then I'll get the time and health! to work on my lifetime dream - deciphering Etruscan language.

Apparently this wonderful lady is driven by her talent and passionate
... See more
Nevertheless, I would love to retire slightly earlier... Today I already aim at semi-retirement in 5 years on my own terms - I'll still be way too young to claim SS. Maybe because I have already worked more years total than some members have lived... Started at 16 and... The rest is silence!

Hopefully by then I'll get the time and health! to work on my lifetime dream - deciphering Etruscan language.

Apparently this wonderful lady is driven by her talent and passionate heart, not by the need for SS supplement. I wish the same to all of us. Gosh, whatever the topic is, it all goes back to rates. Sorry, could not resist:-).

In any case, it is always a terrific and also quite humbling experience to learn about such outstanding human beings.

Thanks for the inspiring link!

Irene

[Edited at 2006-12-11 00:27]
Collapse

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:04
German to English
+ ...
Love it. Dec 11, 2006

I wonder what I'll be doing in 40 years time.
Will I have the time to take a birthday break from work?
Or will I be looking forward too much to the "final deadline"?

BTW, I just read about a German actor/singer who still makes stage appearances at 103.

Young and sprightly greetings ...
See more
I wonder what I'll be doing in 40 years time.
Will I have the time to take a birthday break from work?
Or will I be looking forward too much to the "final deadline"?

BTW, I just read about a German actor/singer who still makes stage appearances at 103.

Young and sprightly greetings ...
Collapse

Henk Peelen
Henk Peelen  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2002)
German to Dutch
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A Freilekhn Gebortstog! Van harte gefeliciteerd met je verjaardag! Dec 11, 2006

Yeah, must have to do with genetics; if Sarah wouldn't have given birth to a baby at the age of 90, Eva (I guess she wasn't working with an Apple) wouldn't have been there.

December 11 seems to be an age record day:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_"Lizzie"_Bolden
Lizzie saw the birth of the tin Lizzie.
It must be great to have 75 great-gr
... See more
Yeah, must have to do with genetics; if Sarah wouldn't have given birth to a baby at the age of 90, Eva (I guess she wasn't working with an Apple) wouldn't have been there.

December 11 seems to be an age record day:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_"Lizzie"_Bolden
Lizzie saw the birth of the tin Lizzie.
It must be great to have 75 great-great-great-great grandchildren

Talking about advanced years, a year ago in the Netherlands a 84 years old woman, Hanny Heres Diddens-Wischmeijer, obtained her doctorate (sorry, only in Dutch):
http://www.rug.nl/rechten/nieuws/archief/archief2005/nieuwsbrief/week26/25_04

Her subject:
Tolken en vertalers in de EU. Vergelijkend onderzoek naar de wetgeving aangaande tolken en vertalers, al of niet beëdigd, in enkele lidstaten van de Europese Unie, met het oog op harmonisatie
(interpreters and translators in the EU. Comparative survey for legislation for interpreters and translators (whether sworn or not) in some EU member states, aiming on harmonisation.

Unfotunately, I can't find the English summary on the internet. Anyway she was born in 1920 and was teacher French and (mostly juidical) translator, got her Master's degree in 1998 and her doctorate in 2005

[Edited at 2006-12-12 04:52]
Collapse

Izabela Szczypka
Izabela Szczypka  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Polish
+ ...
We can only hope to follow in her footsteps Dec 11, 2006

With our TMs it might be easier ...
Just a few days ago my colleague and I were joking about her huuuge TM - in another 10 or 20 years she'll just open a file and run Autotranslate if her TM keeps growing at the present rate The only thing to do will be some editing and invoicing
Of course that might be possible with legal / technical translators only
... See more
With our TMs it might be easier ...
Just a few days ago my colleague and I were joking about her huuuge TM - in another 10 or 20 years she'll just open a file and run Autotranslate if her TM keeps growing at the present rate The only thing to do will be some editing and invoicing
Of course that might be possible with legal / technical translators only - I suppose that nuts, bolts and commercial agreements will survive till the time we become centenarians ourselves. The problem lies in our surviving as well ...
Still, my own uncle (a surveyor) keeps working even though he turned 87 last May, so I might have a good chance.
Collapse

Refugio
Refugio
Local time: 02:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
The power of words Dec 12, 2006

"With 19 residents currently ranging in age from 100 to 108, centenarians are surprisingly common at the Jewish Home."

I remember wondering, when the institution changed its name some years ago from "Jewish Home for the Aged" to "Jewish Home for the Aging", whether it would increase the residents' longevity. Apparently it has!

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 19:04
Italian to English
Retirement sooner Apr 21, 2007

While I LOVE my job, I plan to retire at the RIGHT age and go back home to Australia, sit in the veranda and grumble at the kids, hehehehehe!!
I admire that lady though...............

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Woman is 100 Years Old and Still Translating

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »