Thread poster: Johnny Leoni
Johnny Leoni
Johnny Leoni
Ukraine
Local time: 20:58
English to Ukrainian
Jul 7, 2022

Hello everyone!

I have dozens of Word documents, that were translated outside the memoQ, or any other CAT-tool. Now I want to create a master TM and fill it with these translations, but not fully understand how to do it.

When I worked with Excel files, updating TM was an easy task - you just need to import a file with a translated text in the target column, and then confirm+update it.

But in this case, all I could think of is to enter translations manually
... See more
Hello everyone!

I have dozens of Word documents, that were translated outside the memoQ, or any other CAT-tool. Now I want to create a master TM and fill it with these translations, but not fully understand how to do it.

When I worked with Excel files, updating TM was an easy task - you just need to import a file with a translated text in the target column, and then confirm+update it.

But in this case, all I could think of is to enter translations manually by segments, which sounds pretty time-consuming.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Make a table + use Heartsome Jul 7, 2022

You can convert your texts, both source and target, into a bilingual table in MS Word.
To this effect select all source text and press one button after the other: Alt, C, 4, G, Enter (convert text to table).
Then do it again with the target text. Then put both into a single file as two columns.
The first two cells must contain a language code. For example en-US and ru-RU or en
... See more
You can convert your texts, both source and target, into a bilingual table in MS Word.
To this effect select all source text and press one button after the other: Alt, C, 4, G, Enter (convert text to table).
Then do it again with the target text. Then put both into a single file as two columns.
The first two cells must contain a language code. For example en-US and ru-RU or en and uk.
Download Heartsome TMX Editor (it is free), open it and press Ctrl+Alt+C.
Then browse to your table in the 'Source file' field and click OK.
The table will get converted into a tmx file digestible for cats.

[Edited at 2022-07-08 01:43 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Video Jul 7, 2022

This video briefly shows the idea:

JAGDISH ARORA

Johnny Leoni
Johnny Leoni
Ukraine
English to Ukrainian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 8, 2022

Thank you, Stepan, the explanation and the video are really helpful.

I thought about something similar, but embraced the hope that some simpler way to import the text to TM exists.
I mean, the described way is not complicated, but in the case of tens and tens documents, it will definitely take some time.

Anyway, I'll try it!

George Luca
George Luca  Identity Verified
German to Romanian
+ ...
Some other approaches Jul 8, 2022

1. Because you are a memoQ user, you can add directly the source and target Word files to LiveDocs and use them as they are, ie without further alignment, or you can perform an alignment in order to get a TMX compatible with any other CAT tool. The alignment tool of memoQ is one of the best I know.

2. After creating the two columns file, as detailed by Stepan, you can copy the two columns into an Excel file and convert this file to a TMX file by using Glossary Converter (also free
... See more
1. Because you are a memoQ user, you can add directly the source and target Word files to LiveDocs and use them as they are, ie without further alignment, or you can perform an alignment in order to get a TMX compatible with any other CAT tool. The alignment tool of memoQ is one of the best I know.

2. After creating the two columns file, as detailed by Stepan, you can copy the two columns into an Excel file and convert this file to a TMX file by using Glossary Converter (also free, “but donations to the developer to encourage further maintenance and improvements are always welcome”). I use this procedure in order to get more quickly a TMX file from bilingual Eurlex pages.

3. Any other alignment tool, for example of Studio, Across etc. or the stand-alone tool LF Aligner. Despite being an old user of both Studio and Across I was never really happy with their alignment capabilities.

As a rule of thumb, I always use Excel as hub in the process of creating TMX or TBX files, because it allows me to make the needed corrections.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Russian Federation
English to Russian
@Johnny Leoni Jul 11, 2022

Please check your email. I sent my hand-made solution. Not excellent of course but free.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Updating the Translation Memory from .docx files

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »