MemoQ 9.8 says: "New version available MemoQ 9.12"? Bug or mathematically challenged developer?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Sep 6, 2022

Any ideas? Also, if it actually is new, is it better?

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:26
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It missed 9.10 apparently Sep 6, 2022

There has been at least 9.10 too...

In any case, you can get information about the new features here: https://docs.memoq.com/current/en/Welcome/welcome-discover-memoq-9-12.html

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:26
Danish to English
+ ...
What's the problem? Sep 6, 2022

Yes, the most recent version is 9.12.9. What's wrong with or strange about that?

Each new version usually has new features, which you can look up in the release notes online.

Stepan Konev

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
12 Sep 6, 2022

12 comes after 8. What's the problem?

I can't find a page for 9.11, but perhaps not all versions are released to the public, or warrant a separate page on the website.

[Edited at 2022-09-06 18:09 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Kevin Fulton
Alparslan Sakci

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and no Sep 6, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

I can't find a page for 9.11, but perhaps not all versions are released to the public, or warrant a separate page on the website.

That's not how decimals work.

9.8 is a larger number than 9.12.

I guess they retroactively decided that 9.8 was actually 9.08?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
9.10.10 was pulled Sep 6, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

I can't find a page for 9.11

9.10.10 was pulled because it couldn't write Trados return packages, a serious bug. Maybe that explains the absence of 9.11.

But I don't see why a user should worry about a gap in the numbering, and if anyone is challenged, I don't think they work for memoQ.

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Not decimals Sep 6, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

No, decimals don't work like that, but most versioning today doesn't use decimal numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_versioning#Semantic_versioning

The dot is a separator, not a decimal point.

Stepan Konev
Kevin Fulton
Alparslan Sakci
Adieu
Samuel Murray

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:26
English to Russian
Who cares. Efficiency counts Sep 6, 2022

When I process a photo, I have one bluesky_before.jpg file and a dozen of target files like bluesky_after.0.jpg, bluesky_after.1.jpg, bluesky_after.1-1.jpg, bluesky_after.1-1-1.jpg, bluesky_after.2.jpg, bluesky_after.2-1.jpg, bluesky_after.2-2.jpg, bluesky_after.2-2-1.jpg, bluesky_after.final.jpg, bluesky_after.final-0.jpg, bluesky_after.final-1.jpg, bluesky_after.final-1-1.jpg, bluesky_after.final-2-1.jpg, bluesky_after.last-final.jpg...
Those numbers are not decimals, they stand f
... See more
When I process a photo, I have one bluesky_before.jpg file and a dozen of target files like bluesky_after.0.jpg, bluesky_after.1.jpg, bluesky_after.1-1.jpg, bluesky_after.1-1-1.jpg, bluesky_after.2.jpg, bluesky_after.2-1.jpg, bluesky_after.2-2.jpg, bluesky_after.2-2-1.jpg, bluesky_after.final.jpg, bluesky_after.final-0.jpg, bluesky_after.final-1.jpg, bluesky_after.final-1-1.jpg, bluesky_after.final-2-1.jpg, bluesky_after.last-final.jpg...
Those numbers are not decimals, they stand for iterations.
Collapse

expressisverbis
Kevin Fulton
Alparslan Sakci

Geof Aberhart
Geof Aberhart  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 21:26
Member (2015)
Chinese to English
Fortune tellers would make better money elsewhere Sep 14, 2022

Adieu wrote:

Were they supposed to know ahead of time how many versions there'd be and pad it out with the appropriate number of zeroes in advance?

[Edited at 2022-09-14 04:55 GMT]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Sep 29, 2022

[Edited at 2022-09-29 17:42 GMT]

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:26
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Version numbers are not decimal numbers Sep 30, 2022

Version numbers are not decimal numbers but "multi-part" numbers. The first number denotes the major version, the second denotes the minor version, the third denotes the build. So, version 9.12.9 is major version 9, minor version 12, build 9.

Each part of a version number progresses according to a set of rules, which is not always followed. For example, a software company may choose to bump up the major version number just to justify a new release and a new flow of income.

[E
... See more
Version numbers are not decimal numbers but "multi-part" numbers. The first number denotes the major version, the second denotes the minor version, the third denotes the build. So, version 9.12.9 is major version 9, minor version 12, build 9.

Each part of a version number progresses according to a set of rules, which is not always followed. For example, a software company may choose to bump up the major version number just to justify a new release and a new flow of income.

[Edited at 2022-09-30 08:44 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Michael Beijer

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 9.8 says: "New version available MemoQ 9.12"? Bug or mathematically challenged developer?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »