Exporting mqxliff back to Word after revision
Thread poster: Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:37
Dutch to English
Oct 26, 2022

I received a Word file to translate, and was asked to then send it to a reviewer. (Something I've never done before - I normally just work directly with agencies and I'm not involved with reviews.)

The reviewer would return it to me, and I would then finalise the text and return the finished translation to the client.

I exported my translation as an mqxliff and sent it to the reviewer, and received an mqxliff back with edits. I imported this as a new file, accepted the
... See more
I received a Word file to translate, and was asked to then send it to a reviewer. (Something I've never done before - I normally just work directly with agencies and I'm not involved with reviews.)

The reviewer would return it to me, and I would then finalise the text and return the finished translation to the client.

I exported my translation as an mqxliff and sent it to the reviewer, and received an mqxliff back with edits. I imported this as a new file, accepted the changes etc, so it's all done. But I can't export this back into Word, can I? Because this was now an mqxliff I'd imported. I can only export back to Word from my original translation.

I can manually copy the edits over into my original translation (there weren't that many) and then export that to Word, but what would have been the better way to do this? I feel like there must be something obvious that I'm not getting...
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:37
English to Russian
Update Oct 26, 2022

Did you create a new project?
Option 1. Try to import the edited file as an update rather than a new file. Just drag and drop it to the same project.
Option 2. Also, you can open the reviewer's file and confirm all to update your TM. Then import the source file again and pretranslate it with what you have just updated. You can even create a blank TM temporarily to make sure that it only contains the proper edits. However this is sort of workaround, not a solution. Solution would be
... See more
Option 1. Try to import the edited file as an update rather than a new file. Just drag and drop it to the same project.
Option 2. Also, you can open the reviewer's file and confirm all to update your TM. Then import the source file again and pretranslate it with what you have just updated. You can even create a blank TM temporarily to make sure that it only contains the proper edits. However this is sort of workaround, not a solution. Solution would be as described in option 1.

[Edited at 2022-10-26 13:54 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Update from bilingual Oct 26, 2022

I think it's the function Documents > Import > Update from bilingual you need, but I haven't tried it with an mqxliff.

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
actually they returned an sdlxliff Oct 26, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:

Option 2. Also, you can open the reviewer's file and confirm all to update your TM. The import the source file again and pretranslate it with what you have just updated. You can even create a blank TM temporarily to make sure that it only contains the proper edits. However this is sort of workaround, not a solution. Solution would be as described in option 1.

[Edited at 2022-10-26 13:49 GMT]

I just realised it wasn't an mqxliff I got back from the reviser, but an sdlxliff. It's in the same project, not a new one. I imported the edited file so now I have two: my original (with a document icon on the left) and the edited (with a memoq icon on the left).

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
TM Oct 26, 2022

You can always confirm the new target to a temporary TM and then pre-translate the original file with that. It would be a good idea to create a snapshot first under Documents > Versions. You should then be able to see the differences with Review > Compare versions after pre-translating and confirming with the updated target from the temporary TM.

Update: Sorry, Stepan, I hadn't seen your edited earlier post where you proposed the same workaround. We don't get email notifications for
... See more
You can always confirm the new target to a temporary TM and then pre-translate the original file with that. It would be a good idea to create a snapshot first under Documents > Versions. You should then be able to see the differences with Review > Compare versions after pre-translating and confirming with the updated target from the temporary TM.

Update: Sorry, Stepan, I hadn't seen your edited earlier post where you proposed the same workaround. We don't get email notifications for updates.

[Edited at 2022-10-26 15:14 GMT]
Collapse

Stepan Konev

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:37
English to Russian
Save target as mqxliff Oct 26, 2022

Caspar van Vark wrote:
I just realised it wasn't an mqxliff I got back from the reviser, but an sdlxliff.
Ask your reviewer to send mqxliff. They used your mqxliff file as a source for their project in Ttrados. That means they can save the final file as mqxliff too: source.mqxliff > work.sdlxliff > target.mqxliff

[Edited at 2022-10-26 15:06 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:37
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Then Oct 26, 2022

Caspar van Vark wrote:
I just realised it wasn't an mqxliff I got back from the reviser, but an sdlxliff.

Okay, so the problem lies with the reviewer: he should convert the edited SDLXLIFF file back into an MQXLIFF file. The reviewer probably thought that you have Trados, or did not quite understand the instruction about saving as MQXLIFF instead of SDLXLIFF.

You won't be able to use the SDXLIFF file to update the Word file. The reviewer has to "generate target" in Trados and make sure that he produces an MQXLIFF file. The fault lies with the reviewer, although it's an easy mistake to make.

It's in the same project, not a new one. I imported the edited file so now I have two...

Yes, because MemoQ regards the SDLXLIFF file has a separate file that has nothing to do with the other file(s) in the project. MemoQ regards both of them as source files.

You have to select the file in MemoQ, use the Import button and then import from bilingual. You may be given the option to import with or without tracked changes -- select the option that feels best.

[Edited at 2022-10-26 15:42 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Stepan Konev

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 26, 2022

I will ask the reviewer to do that. In the meantime I've done it by re-importing the original word doc as a new file and doing a pre-translate from the TM. But now I know what the issue was.

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
how to see tracked changes Oct 27, 2022

The reviewer has now sent me the file again as an mqxliff which I was able to import as an update, so now I know for next time.

However, I noticed I can't see the tracked changes, and I didn't see an option for importing it with or without tracked changes.

It doesn't matter now for this one, but next time it would be inconvenient if I couldn't instantly see what the reviewer had actually done. Is there a way to make sure the edits are visible next time I do this?

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Compare Oct 27, 2022

Did you try Compare versions, as I suggested previously?

Caspar van Vark
Caspar van Vark
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
TOPIC STARTER
No, but now I have Oct 27, 2022

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Did you try Compare versions, as I suggested previously?

Sorry, I hadn't. But now I have, and that works. Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting mqxliff back to Word after revision

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »